Marty Biagi is Notre Dame's new Special Teams Coordinator

With Mason moving on, I'm wondering who Freeman might consider to replace him for ST. 

Here are the other two finalists from Football Scoop's ST Coach of the Year 2022 award:

• South Carolina’s Pete Lembo
  • Central Michigan’s Keith Murphy

Other two 2021 Finalists:

• Todd Goebbel [NC State]
  • Jay Harbaugh [Michigan]

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

With Mason moving on, I'm wondering who Freeman might consider to replace him for ST. 

Here are the other two finalists from Football Scoop's ST Coach of the Year 2022 award:

• South Carolina’s Pete Lembo
  • Central Michigan’s Keith Murphy

Other two 2021 Finalists:

• Todd Goebbel [NC State]
  • Jay Harbaugh [Michigan]

My buddy knows Pete Lembo and has already told me ND should go after him.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

My buddy knows Pete Lembo and has already told me ND should go after him.

Lembo was HC at Ball St in Indiana for 5 years so Midwest is familiar territory for him. He does make $725K after recent raise from South Carolina. Hope he doesn't have a buy-out.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Marty Biagi probably on that short list as well. He was in the running when Mason was hired, was also a ST analyst at ND in 2016

If Lembo can't be pried away from SC, he might be the sleeper pick but Mason was so darn good. Sorry to lose him.

5 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Does anyone think that ND would pay their ST coach $800k plus??  I just don't see that happening.  ND doesn't publicize salaries so I doubt anyone knows what Mason was pulling in.  

I don’t know what Mason was making but I did hear ND was willing to pay whatever the Colts were offering, that money was not the issue. His heart was just in the Colt’s offer.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

I don’t know what Mason was making but I did hear ND was willing to pay whatever the Colts were offering, that money was not the issue. His heart was just in the Colt’s offer.

That’s exactly what I heard too, so it’s completely understandable.  I just wish we would have had him for more than one season!  😢

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Baldy said:

That’s exactly what I heard too, so it’s completely understandable.  I just wish we would have had him for more than one season!  😢

It does make it quite the attractive job.

Freeman knew Polian wasn't really in love with special teams anymore. Brought in mason who wants to study it 100 hours a week. Mason is absolutely an NFL guy. Mason found a way to avoid recruiting almost completely by bringing transfers in at the kicking spots.

I do want to see a guy that will develop a four year player as well that wasn't Mason's focus. Will be hard to replace Mason tactically has his punt blocks and film study were amazing.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

It does make it quite the attractive job.

Freeman knew Polian wasn't really in love with special teams anymore. Brought in mason who wants to study it 100 hours a week. Mason is absolutely an NFL guy. Mason found a way to avoid recruiting almost completely by bringing transfers in at the kicking spots.

I do want to see a guy that will develop a four year player as well that wasn't Mason's focus. Will be hard to replace Mason tactically has his punt blocks and film study were amazing.

I completed agree!

BTW for those wondering Biagi salary last year was $350k and he was supposed to get a raise in ‘23 to $375k. For what it’s worth.

I attached an article on Biagi’s resume 

https://www.on3.com/teams/notre-dame-fighting-irish/news/notre-dame-marty-biagi-hired-special-teams-coordinator-ole-miss-brian-mason/

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 1