NFL Combine (ND Edition)

From what I read Mayers is the one we have to worry about slipping out of the first round. I was surprised to hear that but we have learned from the past NFL drafts this happens often. A lot depends on the teams need. The negatives before the combines were: 1) weight (too heavy), 2) speed (too slow), 3) blocking ( this one surprised me). I wonder what his weight and speed were at the combine. I assume he would ran at the combine if that was one of the pros concerns.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

From what I read Mayers is the one we have to worry about slipping out of the first round. I was surprised to hear that but we have learned from the past NFL drafts this happens often. A lot depends on the teams need. The negatives before the combines were: 1) weight (too heavy), 2) speed (too slow), 3) blocking ( this one surprised me). I wonder what his weight and speed were at the combine. I assume he would ran at the combine if that was one of the pros concerns.

I could see him slipping lower in the first round - you're right in that we've seen that in past drafts for ND guys - but I would be shocked if he fell completely out of the first round. Every draft board I've seen has him as the consensus #1 guy at the position, some have him as high as #10 overall. I think he got his weight down a little bit before the season, and I feel like it helped his speed. He is not overly dynamic and won't make a ton of guys miss, but he is a load to bring down. He is a good enough blocker, but I agree - that seems to be the negative on him (I've read it's technique more than "want to" or physical strength, which is probably a positive in that an NFL TE coach can coach him up). He has great hands and is a tremendous competitor. I think he lands somewhere between 15-25.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

I could see him slipping lower in the first round - you're right in that we've seen that in past drafts for ND guys - but I would be shocked if he fell completely out of the first round. Every draft board I've seen has him as the consensus #1 guy at the position, some have him as high as #10 overall. I think he got his weight down a little bit before the season, and I feel like it helped his speed. He is not overly dynamic and won't make a ton of guys miss, but he is a load to bring down. He is a good enough blocker, but I agree - that seems to be the negative on him (I've read it's technique more than "want to" or physical strength, which is probably a positive in that an NFL TE coach can coach him up). He has great hands and is a tremendous competitor. I think he lands somewhere between 15-25.

I would agree with this take.  And on most of the mock drafts I saw, they were showing him at 22 or 23 in the 1st round.

29 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Brandon Joseph ran 4.62 40. Probably not as fast as he was hoping and slower than Foskey.

I saw Joseph time and read his overall performance was meh. Not good for a DB when that Georgia DE (forgot his name) ran a 4.39 40.

9 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

That’s good to hear. I only saw his forty time yesterday of 4.7 which I was hoping for better of course.

I thought he would be high 4.6’s as well, but in the grand scheme of things his body of work and dominating for 3 years should make that a non-issue

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

He was catching things left and right, literally 

You would think that is more important…. his skill and athleticism …..over some of these measurables…like weight and forty time

• Heart 1