2023 Football Schedule

11 hours ago, Tailgate Approved said:

Hahaha. Fair enough. I didn't mean to offend.

I only meant to encourage us to enjoy the fact that this is a good team, and they could be great. The most likely outcome of the TSU game is a lopsided victory for the Irish. It feels to me like our fanbase lacks confidence when we should be strutting.

Oh no worries at all dude, I am not offended lol.  I guess my post just came across as if I was legit afraid of the game.  I'm not, just adding to the conversation.  But we've all been fans of this school for long enough to know that they play down to their opponents more often than they pound them to the ground.

• Heart 2

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me thinks 9-3, part of me thinks 12-0.... 

If we are for real, we need to win vs OSU and USC at home... New OSU QB... USC's QB is going to good. USC's D? Don't know... No idea about Klubnik (Clemson). 

Year #2 is big for Freeman. 

I like our new QB... Without Rees, no idea about our O though. And if we end up with UT's OC, will be confused. I'd be much more optimistic with Rees. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:18 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

Part of me thinks 9-3, part of me thinks 12-0.... 

If we are for real, we need to win vs OSU and USC at home... New OSU QB... USC's QB is going to good. USC's D? Don't know... No idea about Klubnik (Clemson). 

Year #2 is big for Freeman. 

I like our new QB... Without Rees, no idea about our O though. And if we end up with UT's OC, will be confused. I'd be much more optimistic with Rees. 

If ND has a regular season record better than 9-3, I'll consider that a great success.  I just don't see ND beating Ohio State or USC in 2023.  So much 'newness' to what ND will be bringing to the field this year.  A third loss?  Clemson?  NC State?  I don't have great confidence, based on last year's inexplicable losses to Marshall and Stanford.  I hope ND shows me that I just need to 'get over it' by dominating the teams they are supposed to beat in 2023.  ND does have good players at every position in 2023.  Upgrades in many areas.  I definitely have hope, just not confidence.  Hopefully they blow through the first 4 games without a hiccup.

• Heart 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, AnTostal said:

If ND has a regular season record better than 9-3, I'll consider that a great success.  I just don't see ND beating Ohio State or USC in 2023.  So much 'newness' to what ND will be bringing to the field this year.  A third loss?  Clemson?  NC State?  I don't have great confidence, based on last year's inexplicable losses to Marshall and Stanford.  I hope ND shows me that I just need to 'get over it' by dominating the teams they are supposed to beat in 2023.  ND does have good players at every position in 2023.  Upgrades in many areas.  I definitely have hope, just not confidence.  Hopefully they blow through the first 4 games without a hiccup.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

• Heart 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, AnTostal said:

Lot of teams have lots newness... The HC needs to show out. Big year for Freeman. 

• Heart 1

10 wins has to be the floor this year. The schedule is much harder overall because the middle pack of teams (below OSU, Clemson, USC, but above Navy, Tennessee State, Central Michigan) are much better than last season. There aren't a ton of easy wins on the schedule, but ND should be vastly improved on offense with Hartman at QB, all the WRs back, all the RBs back plus a healthy Jadarian Price, and an OL with two All American tackles and an experienced center. Mayer is a huge loss, but ND's offense should be really good next season. Defense is a huge question mark, but the LBs are solid with potential to be great (Kollie and Sneed) and the secondary should be really good (Hart, Morrison, Watts, a more experienced Mickey and a veteran in Lewis). The DL scares me - they need to get someone in the portal.

This is a 10-win team, and two of the three hardest games are at home. OSU will be breaking in a new QB (but are always dangerous). I really think ND can handle USC much better than they did last season. Clemson will be challenging, especially if Klubnik takes the next step like everyone expects. But beyond those three, even though games against Duke, NC State, Louisville, and Pitt are not gimmies, ND should win those. 

The key for Freeman is to not have another Stanford type game where the team is just flat. That's hard to do for a second-year coach. It felt like BK was good for 1-2 of those games every year until his last 3-4 seasons at ND. But the thing about BK was that even when the team was flat/not good (Toledo '21, Louisville '20, Ball State '18, etc.), he almost always found a way to win. Hoping Freeman continues to get better as an in-game coach.

• Heart 4