Time for Brey to retire?

What do you all think?  This team is terrible and just really painful to watch.

With this level of experience, the core playing so uninspired is extremely frustrating.

Not having a big man and a bench is killing this team and that is on Brey as well.

1 minute ago, irishrush said:

With this level of experience, the core playing so uninspired is extremely frustrating.

Not having a big man and a bench is killing this team and that is on Brey as well.

When is the last time that Brey played more than 7 or 8 players consistently?

2 hours ago, irishrush said:

I agree with you with one exception like @jbrown said Brey typically only plays 7/8 consistently which doesn’t necessarily bother me. We all saw the lack of a big man coming Nate was never going to be the tough SOB that’s needed. With all the seniors we have you would have thought there be more inspired playing. Just go to show it takes more to lead then just being “old”.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if at any other school, the coach would have been fired after last night, with that being the capper of a dreadful season so far.  How much worse can it get for this team?  I keep thinking we'll have a miraculous turn around, but it seems to be getting worse.

I think Brey has completely lost this team - some of his post game comments last night sounded like a concession speech.

I do think it is time Brey walks away. He deserves the right to walk away gracefully, so he should retire after this season (even if that means he is encouraged to do so by the university).

Honestly, I think the years of incredibly low expectations have resulted in a coach that has no fire to field a competitive team. Sure, ND is probably pretty happy with its graduation rates but everything else about the program is going downhill.

I know ND is not going to be a school with championship aspirations, but they can't let a guy stick around that is going to continue to let the program decline.

Yup.  Time to find a new coach.  ND just can't keep Brey after this season.

ND basketball is slipping into complete irrelevance.  It takes more than just a coach to make a program, for sure.  But you have to have a coach that makes a difference.  Brey just doesn't seem to be the guy any more.

The administration has to make a serious commitment.  No meaningful coach will drop what they're doing just to take a job at a school that has no demonstrable desire to improve the program. 

Edited by AnTostal

10 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

I do think it is time Brey walks away. He deserves the right to walk away gracefully, so he should retire after this season (even if that means he is encouraged to do so by the university).

Honestly, I think the years of incredibly low expectations have resulted in a coach that has no fire to field a competitive team. Sure, ND is probably pretty happy with its graduation rates but everything else about the program is going downhill.

I know ND is not going to be a school with championship aspirations, but they can't let a guy stick around that is going to continue to let the program decline.

I think you said it all. It’s really what does the university want from the basketball program.

I really thought those back to back elite eight runs would have catapulted this program. One gripe I’ve heard about Brey is that he is a lazy recruiter. He missed a golden opportunity after all that exposure through the tourney… he was just never able to attract enough talent to South Bend to replicate that success. 

I don’t watch a ton of ball, but when I did follow ND closely, I remember the analysts routinely pointing out our lack of a bench in comparison to the opposition. It is definitely time for him to retire, unfortunately I think it will have to come from the university. 

I just saw this that Mike Brey is retiring. Hey I liked Mike and he has had some very good years but it was time for him to move on.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35483487/notre-dame-coach-mike-brey-step-end-season

i actually feel sorry for Mike after reading that article. I hope he is okay.

Edited by ND_JACK

He's been a good coach for us, but it is time for sure.  I am excited to see who we get.

Would Chris Quinn be a candidate?  I'm trying to think of someone other than Inglesby with ND ties.  No way Monte would take a step down I wouldn't think.

• Heart 1

This is a really good outcome for ND hoops.  Sounds like Swarbrick is open to retaining him in the program in some capacity if Brey chooses, and otherwise Brey gets to leave on his own terms.

It will be exciting to see who they get and hopefully this infuses more energy into the program.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

I am very interested to see how this plays out. I think we are going to learn a LOT about ND's goals for the BB program with the coaching search / hire.

Absolutely.

Duke and North Carolina are transitioning.  The ACC should be easier to win for the next many years than it has been in the last 25.  In basketball as in football, I suspect academics restrict some players from going to ND.  Find the right coach, though, and have the University commit to building the program, and I think a return to the top 10, at least, is very possible.

4 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Absolutely.

Duke and North Carolina are transitioning.  The ACC should be easier to win for the next many years than it has been in the last 25.  In basketball as in football, I suspect academics restrict some players from going to ND.  Find the right coach, though, and have the University commit to building the program, and I think a return to the top 10, at least, is very possible.

Purdue is winning with the type of recruits which ND could attract. So coaching (& the HC's recruiting) is probably the main issue at this point.