Incoming Transfer Portal Tracker

33 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I have seen an estimate (On3 perhaps) that places ND in the Top 10 for NIL $ per player. I believe that the main area where ND collectives are behind other schools is the refusal to pay "signing bonuses" to recruits and transfers since that is technically against the rules. They may also wait until a player is on the roster before they discuss actual numbers with him.

That’s fine if they want to wait to pay. But they should definitely discuss numbers. I would have a graph/spreadsheet and what each player makes-redacting the actual of names of players and positions to show what they can make. Maybe they are doing this already. But kids want to at least know a ballpark. I hope they are doing that. 

• Heart 1

Guys, ND is doing well with NIL in terms of the numbers, I fully believe ND is in the top10, maybe even top5 when it comes to dollar amounts. I bet Mayer was probably the top 5 highest paid college athletes in 2022.

What people need to understand that ND is doing differently is that they are playing by the rules and not offering upfront money, "pay for play," for players to come to ND. That is the one major difference, but the players are getting paid at ND and getting paid pretty well.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Synoptico said:

At this point, I am not convinced until I see him run out of the tunnel in the blue and gold. I just have a feeling ND will be outbid for his services. 

I'm at the point now where I'm already thinking of ways to minimize this. Maybe Buchner shows up with completely different throwing mechanics and footwork, and beats the snot out of South Carolina? Maybe he runs for 100 yards and throws for 200 yards? Regardless, this is a massive open tryout for Tyler, whether it's for ND or a school he potentially transfers to. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Guys, ND is doing well with NIL in terms of the numbers, I fully believe ND is in the top10, maybe even top5 when it comes to dollar amounts. I bet Mayer was probably the top 5 highest paid college athletes in 2022.

What people need to understand that ND is doing differently is that they are playing by the rules and not offering upfront money, "pay for play," for players to come to ND. That is the one major difference, but the players are getting paid at ND and getting paid pretty well.

IIRC, ND dropped. We were top 5 in 2021, then barely top 10 this year. Doubt we will be top 10 in 2023. 

No top 10 players. Meyers was 18ish, and Foskey low 20s. 

Incoming 2023 class, no ND in top 50 (could be wrong). Keeley and Bowen are both top 30ish.. 

In short, sliding in terms of trending. 

5 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I have seen an estimate (On3 perhaps) that places ND in the Top 10 for NIL $ per player. I believe that the main area where ND collectives are behind other schools is the refusal to pay "signing bonuses" to recruits and transfers since that is technically against the rules. They may also wait until a player is on the roster before they discuss actual numbers with him.

Most lottery winners take the lump sum. People want up front money, guaranteed money. I don't know how much money these kids are getting up front but regardless of what kind of money your family has, a check for 100k for an eighteen-year-old kid is going to generate some noise. I hope the NCAA steps in to stop this. 

3 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

We also have the exposure. NBC contract, and NFL connections he wants. I don't expect this one to be about NIL as much as NFL.

Totally agree with this assessment.  Money is nice, but he is thinking beyond a one-year NIL grab.  

• Heart 1

My one concern is, he doesn't project well to the NFL. He doesn't have the measurables and arm strength they are looking for. Even if he plays lights out for ND, that won't change.

Which means NOW is his chance to make life changing money. Will ND do that for him? Maybe, but not in an upfront way, P4P manner. Obviously his exposure goes through the roof and I still say a good starting QB and ND will make bank. 

But, if P4P is what he's looking for, ND will lose this one. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

IIRC, ND dropped. We were top 5 in 2021, then barely top 10 this year. Doubt we will be top 10 in 2023. 

No top 10 players. Meyers was 18ish, and Foskey low 20s. 

Incoming 2023 class, no ND in top 50 (could be wrong). Keeley and Bowen are both top 30ish.. 

In short, sliding in terms of trending. 

Those are evaluations, not tax returns. lol

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Those are evaluations, not tax returns. lol

some states, and some schools, require disclosure. 

TX for instance ( full state, all HSs and Colleges) requires transparency to the public. 

The NCAA already receivers most info, if not all, nationally.

I'm betting the NFL play is exactly what Hartman is thinking about.  He's getting told he's marginal, late-round, doesn't have the obvious measurables.  BUT, he's smart, has been very reliable, and a year at a higher-end program will convince teams he can at least hold a clipboard.

I've watched a few WF games back since this popped.  I think he's a great fit. 

Although ya never know - may not seem like it, but there might still be a QB competition to be had in the spring.

• Heart 1

Buchner just has to be feeling a lot of pressure.  Pretty much everything is riding on the bowl game for him. 

If Hartman enrolls at ND, the expectation will undoubtedly be that he will be the starter next season. 
If Buchner has a great game, at least maybe he can sew some seeds of doubt about Hartman getting the job. If Buchner bombs, I’ll bet he leaves in the Spring.

• Leprechaun 1

I'm not concerned about what the NFL thinks of him.  I presume that's where he wants to go and improve his draft stock hitting the portal.  Hope it happens.

The NFL is not D1 CFB.  Hartman is a good college QB, and I would be happy with him at ND.  I have little hope in our ability to develope NFL level QBs let alone good college QBs with our current staff.  Hartman needs to learn our system, but he is comfortable and had success passing the ball a lot in his time at WF.  We will not be one dimensional with a run game and a TE.  Defenses would have to account for an improved and versatile passing game to go with the run game with an experienced QB like Hartman.

Honestly IF our offensive numbers jump up significantly in '23, I don't see our OC staying around beyond next year.  Credit due or not, Rees will get HC offers at non P5 schools.  Then we will see what direction Freeman wants to go offensively and who he brings in.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

My one concern is, he doesn't project well to the NFL. He doesn't have the measurables and arm strength they are looking for. Even if he plays lights out for ND, that won't change.

Which means NOW is his chance to make life changing money. Will ND do that for him? Maybe, but not in an upfront way, P4P manner. Obviously his exposure goes through the roof and I still say a good starting QB and ND will make bank. 

But, if P4P is what he's looking for, ND will lose this one. 

Neither did Jack Coan but he was very good for ND in his one year.

• Heart 1