2023 Projected Depth Chart

Too early for me... not trying to make my head hurt lol...

My only shallow comments..

• Hope the iOL has some shuffles, and the youth passes some vets. 
  • Hope Bertrand is replaced... 
  • I think we'll see several transfers (out) this offseason. 
  • Hot take for 2023... Early entry Minchey is starter game 1
  • Heart 4

27 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Too early for me... not trying to make my head hurt lol...

My only shallow comments..

• Hope the iOL has some shuffles, and the youth passes some vets. 
  • Hope Bertrand is replaced... 
  • I think we'll see several transfers (out) this offseason. 
  • Hot take for 2023... Early entry Minchey is starter game 1

I would agree with all but the last one, ha.

I still think MF and TR learned their lesson at QB last year and bring in a quality transfer.

Id be SHOCKED if Minchey starts a game next year, let alone the first

Shocked Baby GIF

• Heart 2
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

45 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

I would agree with all but the last one, ha.

I still think MF and TR learned their lesson at QB last year and bring in a quality transfer.

Id be SHOCKED if Minchey starts a game next year, let alone the first

That's why it called a "hot take" lol...

Doubt Minchey is the starter G1, or at all... 

But the QB situation is going to be "sensitive"... 

Doubt all QBs are still here for 2023. Might even loose 2 if we bring in a transfer. 

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

It really is too early to make any solid predictions. ND fans better be ready for some transfers out this year. Im sure there are plenty of people who are unhappy with playing time.

-QB will be a very interesting spot, but ND should not guarantee any QB the starting job.

-I agree the Guard spots will be a battle between Kristofic, Spindler, and Schrauth.

-Wouldnt mind getting another DL transfer

-Wouldnt mind getting a WR grad transfer this year either

-CB room is ridiculous

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

It really is too early to make any solid predictions. ND fans better be ready for some transfers out this year. Im sure there are plenty of people who are unhappy with playing time.

-QB will be a very interesting spot, but ND should not guarantee any QB the starting job.

-I agree the Guard spots will be a battle between Kristofic, Spindler, and Schrauth.

-CB room is ridiculous

Completely agree. I imagine in the coming weeks, we'll see some guys transfer out. No idea who, but it'll happen. Then again after spring practice. 

It seems in years past we've seen 10-12 guys leave every year. Typically, those aren't really guys in the two-deep. I'd suspect that number will be higher this year and include some two-deep guys. 

ND has to be in position to take on transfer to absorb bigger losses than in year's past. Sounds like there are at least discussions along those lines happening. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

-CB room is ridiculous

I agree.

But "not guaranteeing" a job, won't help with a good QB transfer... 

WR (good ones) transfers will be tough unless we have good QB transfer. 

On 11/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

I agree.

But "not guaranteeing" a job, won't help with a good QB transfer... 

WR (good ones) transfers will be tough unless we have good QB transfer. 

Even if it is Card, I still think you do not promise him the starting job. IF they dont want to come, then so be it. Buchner and Pyne still have a chance to beat them out. Would really love to see Buchner behind a better offensive line than what he had his first two games.

Edited by NDhoosier

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Even if it is Hurd, I still think you do not promise him the starting job. IF they dont want to come, then so be it. Buchner and Pyne still have a chance to beat them out. Would really love to see Buchner behind a better offensive line than what he had his first two games.

Doubt really that he's even eligible (ND requirements) unless he will graduate early. 

My guess for Card...... TCU would be a great fit (he's from TX). TCU needs a QB for 23 (Duggan is a 4 year starter), and their team is very solid. And a great revenge motivation... 

Doubt both Buchner and Pyne are back if we take a transfer QB. I know Pyne loves ND, and Buchner has sister coming to ND in 23, but can't see a 3 way competition..... 

If Card could meet transfer requirements, he is likely the best outcome (between the 3). Depends how Freeman and Rees view him. IMO, his ceiling is much better than Buchner and Pyne. And fits the scheme. So perhaps a promise is the smart thing.. 

4 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Doubt really that he's even eligible (ND requirements) unless he will graduate early. 

My guess for Card...... TCU would be a great fit (he's from TX). TCU needs a QB for 23 (Duggan is a 4 year starter), and their team is very solid. And a great revenge motivation... 

Doubt both Buchner and Pyne are back if we take a transfer QB. I know Pyne loves ND, and Buchner has sister coming to ND in 23, but can't see a 3 way competition..... 

If Card could meet transfer requirements, he is likely the best outcome (between the 3). Depends how Freeman and Rees view him. IMO, his ceiling is much better than Buchner and Pyne. And fits the scheme. So perhaps a promise is the smart thing.. 

Duggan didn't win the starting job coming into the season for TCU. Chandler Morris should be ready to take over if he doesn't leave the program. 

8 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Even if it is Hurd, I still think you do not promise him the starting job. IF they dont want to come, then so be it. Buchner and Pyne still have a chance to beat them out. Would really love to see Buchner behind a better offensive line than what he had his first two games.

Yes, O-line was a mess for the first few games. Also the running game wasn't there either.

I find it careless that guys dismiss both Pyne Buchner over a transfer. Not that the transfer would have a higher ceiling, but they will be coming in to a brand new program and learning a new system and trying to win the team over. It’s not always as simple as just plugging in a guy…. 

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

I find it careless that guys dismiss both Pyne Buchner over a transfer. Not that the transfer would have a higher ceiling, but they will be coming in to a brand new program and learning a new system and trying to win the team over. It’s not always as simple as just plugging in a guy…. 

I partially agree about Buchner but Pyne is what he is. He has a season of tape and that is the level. Also, he was already beaten out by Tyler last year. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, coltssb said:

Depends if we still have the same system too.

14 hours ago, Irish_Thunder said:

Duggan didn't win the starting job coming into the season for TCU. Chandler Morris should be ready to take over if he doesn't leave the program. 

IIRC, game 1 was a Duggan "OR" Morris situation. And Duggan started most of the previous 3 years, including playing injured last year. 

Morris competed, but IMO... he's a short dude, with a low ceiling. He's a baller though. And keep in mind, he transferred from OK to TCU. Not saying Card will go there, but he's a good fit, and wouldn't call Morris a lock at all. 

On 12/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, jessemoore97 said:

Depends if we still have the same system too.

While I believe a change is needed, I don’t think Freeman has it in him. I also think Rees is not capable of designing a system around the guys he has. Just draws up plays and fits guys into that. So, probably no significant changes from him either. 
I’d love for ND to land Hudson Card. The Spring competition would be amazing. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

While I believe a change is needed, I don’t think Freeman has it in him. I also think Rees is not capable of designing a system around the guys he has. Just draws up plays and fits guys into that. So, probably no significant changes from him either. 
I’d love for ND to land Hudson Card. The Spring competition would be amazing. 

I meant that the "system" we have, Rees as OC, may not be here come spring.  I think he moves on in some mutually agreed way that isn't a firing.  Just a feeling.

With transfers happening more and more, the staff is going to have to reevaluate playing time.

I remain concerned that the staff seems to be ok with slowly developing the younger more talented players.  One example is Colzie.  Seeing what he did to finish the season, am I supposed to believe that he couldn't have produced sooner?? 

The staff is going to have to consider playing the young high ceiling players ahead of the low ceiling/high floor experienced guys to avoid transfers.  That's assuming that attitude and effort aren't part of why the younger guys are moving forward.  If you have to spend extra practice time and focus on them, so be it. 

I am not saying that this applies to every relevant positional battle but it should be looked at with an eye towards avoiding potential transfers of key young players. 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

With transfers happening more and more, the staff is going to have to reevaluate playing time.

I remain concerned that the staff seems to be ok with slowly developing the younger more talented players.  One example is Colzie.  Seeing what he did to finish the season, am I supposed to believe that he couldn't have produced sooner?? 

The staff is going to have to consider playing the young high ceiling players ahead of the low ceiling/high floor experienced guys to avoid transfers.  That's assuming that attitude and effort aren't part of why the younger guys are moving forward.  If you have to spend extra practice time and focus on them, so be it. 

I am not saying that this applies to every relevant positional battle but it should be looked at with an eye towards avoiding potential transfers of key young players. 

I think coaches are still going to try and win and if a young guy jeopardizes that then he won’t play. But I think you won’t see coaches holding onto redshirts just to save a year of eligibility like they did with Angeli this year. Guys aren’t staying on one team any longer. Although, ND could be the exception because of it’s degree. 
As for Colzie, I believe he was injured up  until he started playing. Calf or knee don’t remember. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

maybe, but every team is going to have this issue. Teams like ND will steal the best players from mid-tier and low-tier schools again and again. It is a give and take. I still hate it, but it will even itself out. I do think this staff will allow young players to play more often; look at Junior T.

• Leprechaun 1