Official 2022 Fall Practice Tid Bits Thread

13 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

Lol. Not shifting blame. It’s a fact. Not all incompletions are the qbs fault. A source I listened to said that some of that was very much on the receivers. He said buchner put the ball where it was supposed to be and that the receivers weren’t there for different reasons. They said they saw that on a few occasions. Just reporting what I heard. Do with it what you want. 

Nobody reported the WRs were goofing routes as it relates to what they reported about Buchner. They reported arm/accuracy inconsistencies. I'd guess WR goofs were treated separately and distinct as far as the reporting goes. You can have both....

You're highly defensive about any factual reporting, or realistic speculation. My bet is on Buchner. I've been clear about that. But I won't pretend it's all puppy dogs and rainbows lol. Most fans who follow have the same, and very real concerns. We haven't seen much yet. We'll see more. Let's see it play out. The fact it's still called a competition says something in itself. 

On 8/7/2022 at 11:27 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

Nobody reported the WRs were goofing routes as it relates to what they reported about Buchner. They reported arm/accuracy inconsistencies. I'd guess WR goofs were treated separately and distinct as far as the reporting goes. You can have both....

You're highly defensive about any factual reporting, or realistic speculation. My bet is on Buchner. I've been clear about that. But I won't pretend it's all puppy dogs and rainbows lol. Most fans who follow have the same, and very real concerns. We haven't seen much yet. We'll see more. Let's see it play out. The fact it's still called a competition says something in itself. 

Haha. Sounds like we are listening to different people. You don’t think I’ve listened to factual reporting?  I have acknowledged that he has to prove it and that he isn’t perfect.  I know he has things to work on. I just know that I have heard he also looks very good. And of course it will play out.  Yes it has been reported routes were run wrong.  You also like to cherry pick things I say.  I said some of the miscues were receivers, not all.  

29 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Not sure if I buy the #1 preseason OL rank, but with Harry, we should be top 10 at minimum IMO. 

Given that there are three OL who are mentioned as possible first round draft picks in the 2023 or 2024 NFL draft (Patterson, Alt, and Fisher), ND might actual have the #1 OL.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

Haha. Sounds like we are listening to different people. You don’t think I’ve listened to factual reporting?  I have acknowledged that he has to prove it and that he isn’t perfect.  I know he has things to work on. I just know that I have heard he also looks very good. And of course it will play out.  Yes it has been reported routes were run wrong. 

I listen to, and read, most of the stuff out there that's available. I do my best to stay realistic. I don't overly rely on the same guys that pump sunshine every season lol. There are a lot of guys on the pay sites that have early hot takes on individuals (often when we're recruiting them), then spend the rest of the kid's career at ND trying to defend their early hot take. 

Right now the reports are mixed and cautious. When they stop being mixed, my tune will change. The true test is of course how he looks come game 1. We'll see. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Given that there are three OL who are mentioned as possible first round draft picks in the 2023 or 2024 NFL draft (Patterson, Alt, and Fisher), ND might actual have the #1 OL.

They certainly could. It's a major jump though. 

I'm stoked Harry is back. That alone give me a huge boost in confidence. 

I've seen Patterson anywhere from 2nd to 4th so far. He'd have to kill it this season to make it into the 1R as an iOL, but it wouldn't surprise me. He'll have a great outside partner for sure, so the left side should be our strength. 

Alt to me has a great chance of being a 1R guy. Complete stud, and did it early. Love Fisher too, but need to see a full, good year from him. 

Great future ahead for this group. Hope Harry stays. 

• Heart 1

Just now, OKelleyIrish said:

They certainly could. It's a major jump though. 

I'm stoked Harry is back. That alone give me a huge boost in confidence. 

I've seen Patterson anywhere from 2nd to 4th so far. He'd have to kill it this season to make it into the 1R as an iOL, but it wouldn't surprise me. He'll have a great outside partner for sure, so the left side should be our strength. 

Alt to me has a great chance of being a 1R guy. Complete stud, and did it early. Love Fisher too, but need to see a full, good year from him. 

Great future ahead for this group. Hope Harry stays. 

It reminds me of Lou Holtz to have backs like this and a line still distantly connected to Joe Moore through Harry. Even Holtz struggled is first year though, but he also had Fouts to recover from where Marcus is charged with finishing what Kelly started and could not or would not finish.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

It reminds me of Lou Holtz to have backs like this and a line still distantly connected to Joe Moore through Harry. Even Holtz struggled is first year though, but he also had Fouts to recover from where Marcus is charged with finishing what Kelly started and could not or would not finish.

IMO, different. Freeman inherited a pretty good and stable situation. He's not having to rebuild anything or start from scratch. Has some great talent already on board. Just needs to hit at some specific positions and take the next step. Harry popping back is like a cherry on top. 

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

IMO, different. Freeman inherited a pretty good and stable situation. He's not having to rebuild anything or start from scratch. Has some great talent already on board. Just needs to hit at some specific positions and take the next step. Harry popping back is like a cherry on top. 

And recruit like a maniac.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Soko said:

And recruit like a maniac.

Yup. I love it. I'm still a bit cautious. There are a lot of young/new HCs that often get a boost in recruiting early. He's completely knocked it out of the park on D if the class holds together. 

I'd still like to see the same boost on offense though. Carr was a huge get, but I credit Tommy given what I've read and heard from the interviews and articles. Also have some Michigan buddies who say Rees really created a nice bond, but also Michigan completely stepped on their dicks. Overall though, I really think we need to hit home on a few top 10 WRs and RBs. Those have seemed to be elusive for us for a long time, and still. 

I also think NIL has evened up things a bit for us. Biggest thing though is just the need to win. If we win, they will come. Can't get beach slapped by OSU and Clemson this year lol. I don't mind losing, but need to be competitive. 

14 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup. I love it. I'm still a bit cautious. There are a lot of young/new HCs that often get a boost in recruiting early. He's completely knocked it out of the park on D if the class holds together. 

I'd still like to see the same boost on offense though. Carr was a huge get, but I credit Tommy given what I've read and heard from the interviews and articles. Also have some Michigan buddies who say Rees really created a nice bond, but also Michigan completely stepped on their dicks. Overall though, I really think we need to hit home on a few top 10 WRs and RBs. Those have seemed to be elusive for us for a long time, and still. 

I also think NIL has evened up things a bit for us. Biggest thing though is just the need to win. If we win, they will come. Can't get beach slapped by OSU and Clemson this year lol. I don't mind losing, but need to be competitive. 

I don’t know. Forever all people did was complain that ND couldn’t do any better than top 8-12 recruiting wise. I’d always argued differently. Freeman has absolutely changed that narrative. So I don’t think this is a new coach recruiting bump. All reports is that he is constantly on the phone and talking to guys. That kids absolutely love him and he seems genuine. Far cry from Kelly. 
NIL I’m sure has helped a little but lots of schools are able spend like crazy and ND is still at the top as we speak. Some kids have vocally said if Freeman wasn’t the coach they wouldn’t have listened.  Also, Freeman was already showing a recruiting bump with the defense under Kelly’s staff last year. This isn’t a one off IMO. 
Agree with most. ND needs to show up and ball out Sept. 3rd. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, coltssb said:

I don’t know. Forever all people did was complain that ND couldn’t do any better than top 8-12 recruiting wise. I’d always argued differently. Freeman has absolutely changed that narrative. So I don’t think this is a new coach recruiting bump. All reports is that he is constantly on the phone and talking to guys. That kids absolutely love him and he seems genuine. Far cry from Kelly. 
NIL I’m sure has helped a little but lots of schools are able spend like crazy and ND is still at the top as we speak. Some kids have vocally said if Freeman wasn’t the coach they wouldn’t have listened.  Also, Freeman was already showing a recruiting bump with the defense under Kelly’s staff last year. This isn’t a one off IMO. 
Agree with most. ND needs to show up and ball out Sept. 3rd. 

We'll see. It's early. So I'm not taking a victory lap.

Even if the class holds together, we're likely coming in at 4th-ish. That's still a nice improvement regardless. If we lose any of those top guys (hope we don't), then we may be closer to previous classes. 

NIL has definitely helped ND. We were the best of the non-bag-men schools already. Now it's all out in the open. Shouldn't underestimate this for ND.