2024 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

1 hour ago, D Fence said:

Justin Scott just committed to Ohio State

Can’t say I’m disappointed cause I wasn’t expecting him to be ND. Would have been surprised if he did commit to the Irish. 

ND taking some tough losses lately. They have some things to figure out for sure and quickly. 

Unbelievable. This recruitment is puzzling to say the least. I'm hoping I'm not sensing a trend brewing but it's hard not to assume. What's going on? I get ND isn't for everyone. Kids don't always want ND like we would think they would.....but im just thinking there's something laying under the bed. He didn't even mention ND. We've also been on the outside looking in for awhile. 5 star talent. Catholic school. Values education. Firm family base. Midwest kid, Family and him love MF and CB and we can't even get an official or even mentioned????

Sorry. Rant over. Just don't get it. 

For the 2023 recruiting class it was kind of easy. Freeman was the new, well-spoken, good looking, smooth Black head coach at the U of ND. No track record. 
That was then, this is now. 
Freeman has a record. Had one terrible loss. Coaching turnover. 
NIL continues to evolve; hard to know how ND stacks up. 
This class hopefully is a top 10 class but I’m skeptical it will be in the end. 
Freeman has to EARN it this season. That’s why I will be worried if he only wins 9 games out of 13. Recruiting will drop like a stone in that scenario, I think. 
Too many attractive programs in the South, the West Coast, and in Ohio.  Can’t falter this year. No more Marshalls. 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

I dont think anyone coming out of a catholic highschool helps Notre Dame like it probably should....  In fact I truly believe these kids are sent to these schools simply for exposure....   most of everyone in life will always take the path of least resistance to get to where they're going or trying to go.....   it just stinks for Notre Dame........    buuuut... it does make it fun to root them on knowing we don't have the big fish...   idk..  go Irish!!

Scott going to osu was surprising, but not shocking. His recruitment strikes me as one that’s far from over even after he committed. Hope ND has some good contingencies in place here. Somewhat agree with AnToastal that Freeman needs to show he’s moving ND up on the field too. Who knows, maybe a new apparel deal with Nike or Jordan can reignite some interest too.

13 hours ago, jimbo said:

Can’t say I’m disappointed cause I wasn’t expecting him to be ND. Would have been surprised if he did commit to the Irish. 

I agree ……I just got this “feeling “ over a year ago after reading his comments about his top schools that ND was only there for family reasons.

1 hour ago, Irish-scoop said:

I dont think anyone coming out of a catholic highschool helps Notre Dame like it probably should....  In fact I truly believe these kids are sent to these schools simply for exposure....   most of everyone in life will always take the path of least resistance to get to where they're going or trying to go.....   it just stinks for Notre Dame........    buuuut... it does make it fun to root them on knowing we don't have the big fish...   idk..  go Irish!!

I would also add that parents have a lot more to say about where their 14 year will attend school. By the time their 18 years old parents are just trying to influence them if that.

Good discussion all. I am not 100% sold that Justin Scott is a miss for ND. He definitely has the potential to be a five star but there are some things that I question as well personally. That said, ND needs to land a kid like this 9 times out of 10 for reasons others have listed. So hopefully they pull the next nine. 

Right now defensive recruiting is questionable. It could be seriously questionable come November or it could be a WOW the ND coaching staff crushed evaluations and these kids can play. What do I mean by that?

Bryce Young: basically one year playing DL and now has added 3” of height and 35+ pounds.

Cole Mullins: utility player from LB to TE then to DL. Excelled at DL but only for one year and not completely focused on the position. 

Sean Sevillano Jr.: Canadian that moved to Florida during the pandemic. One year learning and so so. Last year the light appeared to turn on and his camps had shown nice agility and skill for a big kid. 

Bodie Kahoun: was a safety then grew 2” and added 35 pounds. Only has played LB for one year. 

Teddy Rezac: was supposed to play LB last year but was forced to play safety due to injury. Has size, length, and speed. Should finally play LB.

Brauntae Johnson: will he excel at safety and will he even play it in high school this year. Has the size and speed for sure. 

Kennedy Urlacher: only played one year at safety. Can clearly lay a hit and has instincts. 

Taebron Bennie-Powell: played a basic safety position early in high school. Transferred to West and played LB because they had two top 250 safeties already. Now allegedly at his natural position. 

The 2024 class is also a little awkward due to the pandemic. A lot of camps and playing time were missed early on. I love the Offensive recruits and think ND can land what they need there. The D is all about these projections. If the guys above turn out to blossom in their roles and growth then it’s a winner. ND still needs to land a Justin Scott and KVA type to bolster the class though. Like I said, they need to hit evaluations, look for late bloomers, and be knocking on the door checking in on players if ND has a big year. They need a big year to keep the Marcus Freeman mojo going too.

Edited by Big23Head
  • Cheers 1

Yes, in the 50s, 60s, 70, 80s, ND has its pick from Catholic high schools, but the worm has turned. As you said, many star players on these Catholic teams are being recruited for those teams because they are the best in the state. Sadly, one's religion has  nothing to do with it these days.

KVA sets July 23 as commitment date, In interview with II,it stated that Viliamu-Asa has always had a strong faith and said that will play a big role in his ultimate decision. “In two weeks I’m going on a retreat with my church,” Viliamu-Asa said. “That will be a time for me to really get alone with God and seek his guidance and wisdom. I’ve been praying on my decision throughout the whole process but I’m looking forward to that week away. No distractions, just a chance to really seek out God’s will for me and I feel I will have clarity on what I should do when I get back from that.”

Mother Mary, this bodes well for ND!

NIL changed everything.  We don't know the numbers being thrown around from ND and how it's package works, let alone how that stacks up to the other big boys out there, other than rumors.  I'd say with a fair amount of certainty we aren't in it with the top kids because our NIL plan doesn't stack up compared to the sales pitch from other schools.

If this were 10-15 years ago, I imagine we probably close with a few of these blue chippers.  As they say money talks.  Freeman still needs to win and generate buzz for the program, we need statements this season.

IB is saying that there is info regarding Al Washington's recruiting efforts that they can't share or at least right now.  What they could share was that Washington seems to work hard for some recruits but not consistently and not in the case of J. Scott.  I don't get it.  I would assume that he would have some idea of the negative perception he has and would want to work hard for the recruits that would surely put him in a positive spotlight if landed.  

Al Golden on the other hand just seems to be disinterested in recruiting particularly for '24 recruits.  Hearing better reports from '25 recruits so maybe Freeman has addressed recruiting with him.

I don't like calling for people's jobs but I can't be concerned about a coaches job stability that isn't putting in the effort.  Ultimately it's Coach Freeman's legacy that is on the line so I hope he's having the difficult conversations with those that need it.

1 hour ago, Jersey Irish said:

KVA sets July 23 as commitment date, In interview with II,it stated that Viliamu-Asa has always had a strong faith and said that will play a big role in his ultimate decision. “In two weeks I’m going on a retreat with my church,” Viliamu-Asa said. “That will be a time for me to really get alone with God and seek his guidance and wisdom. I’ve been praying on my decision throughout the whole process but I’m looking forward to that week away. No distractions, just a chance to really seek out God’s will for me and I feel I will have clarity on what I should do when I get back from that.”

Mother Mary, this bodes well for ND!