2023 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

I thought I read that ND has been late to recruit QBs the past few years.  If that's true, jumping in late puts them behind from the beginning.  I would really like to see the staff do better with evaluating their QB prospects earlier and starting the process much sooner.  It would be preferable to lock in your QB recruit early as one of your 1st commits so they can be the player recruiters/leaders that they typically are.

7 hours ago, Synoptico said:

Success brings success. Why does bama win, because they get the best players, because they win. 

Agree.  Oklahoma seemed to really get things started in the late '90s when opening up the offense.  They've had 4 QBs win the Heisman since then: White, Bradford, Mayfield and Murray with a few others in between who were pretty decorated in their own right.  Pretty good story to tell prospective top shelf QB recruits. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, jbrown_9999 said:

Why do you think that QBs want to go to Oklahoma instead of ND? Is it the actual scheme, the coaching (i.e. QB development), or their WRs?  

Because they put up 50 points a game and can really pad stats on offense. If I was a QB or WR, Oklahoma would look very good to me.

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Because they put up 50 points a game and can really pad stats on offense. If I was a QB or WR, Oklahoma would look very good to me.

5* QBs also want to go to Clemson, Ohio St, and Alabama but not ND. It's too bad that ND has a 35 point a game offense while other CFP teams run 40 to 50 points a game offenses. 

When Kelly had a chance to go out and hire the best OC possible (in an exhaustive national search at that), he somehow ended up with Tommy Rees who architected a 33.4 points per game offense (down from 36.8 in 2019) . 

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

5* QBs also want to go to Clemson, Ohio St, and Alabama but not ND. It's too bad that ND has a 35 point a game offense while other CFP teams run 40 to 50 points a game offenses. 

When Kelly had a chance to go out and hire the best OC possible (in an exhaustive national search at that), he somehow ended up with Tommy Rees who architected a 33.4 points per game offense (down from 36.8 in 2019) . 

He lost by far his two best weapons from last year and didn't have spring practices.

20 played Alabama and Clemson twice.  19 didn't have any defenses like that.   The 20 offense was as good or better when you consider competition and circumstances.   Rees wasn't bad at all last year minus a few moments.

Our offense performed about what it should have with the talent and competition we played.  Our style was run first and ball control

Edited by golson5

1 hour ago, golson5 said:

He lost by far his two best weapons from last year and didn't have spring practices.

20 played Alabama and Clemson twice.  19 didn't have any defenses like that.   The 20 offense was as good or better when you consider competition and circumstances.   Rees wasn't bad at all last year minus a few moments.

Our offense performed about what it should have with the talent and competition we played.  Our style was run first and ball control

Do you think that the Kelly/Rees run first and ball control offense will win a NC? How about being able to simply score more than 14 points in a play-off game?

BTW, I thought that Kelly's best offensive weapon was Ian Book, the record setting QB? Surely he should not have missed a beat given that he had an all-NFL line in front of him. Shouldn't a top notch head coach with 30 years experience make sure that he can reload vs. rebuild at WR? I don't know, maybe play an underclassman or two and let them catch a pass?

7 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Do you think that the Kelly/Rees run first and ball control offense will win a NC? How about being able to simply score more than 14 points in a play-off game?

BTW, I thought that Kelly's best offensive weapon was Ian Book, the record setting QB? Surely he should not have missed a beat given that he had an all-NFL line in front of him. Shouldn't a top notch head coach with 30 years experience make sure that he can reload vs. rebuild at WR? I don't know, maybe play an underclassman or two and let them catch a pass?

I was responding to you complaining about Rees.  You just brought Kelly into the mix.  2 different arguments. 

I was never an Ian Book fan so you save that talk for someone else.   

Rees was just fine as OC last year with his circumstance and we did go to the playoff with him as qb coach and now OC.

You were just off by throwing out the numbers the way you did.  It happens, we're all wrong sometimes

3 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Book was a poor man's Jeff Garcia and couldn't read a defense to save his life...but he was better at it than Wimbush.

Why is every qb lost in this system then?  Curious really. It’s like all our qbs are one read qb’s. I can’t think of one really good qb that had the offense really clicking. Maybe Golson for some games. But then he eventually became a deer in the head lights. Is the offense to hard?  Our guys to dumb? No talent at the skill positions?  I have a feeling Coan is going to struggle and Buchner will fair no better in his first year if he’s the next option. 

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

I don't think Rees/Kelly prefer a ball control offense.  Would you have a pass first offense with the receivers they are going to send out there this season??? I wouldn't.  

I think Rees does more so than Kelly.  Kelly was all about the spread when came to ND.  One thing I do like about Rees is his balance with play calling between run/pass, especially for being a former qb. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, golson5 said:

I was responding to you complaining about Rees.  You just brought Kelly into the mix.  2 different arguments. 

I was never an Ian Book fan so you save that talk for someone else.   

Rees was just fine as OC last year with his circumstance and we did go to the playoff with him as qb coach and now OC.

You were just off by throwing out the numbers the way you did.  It happens, we're all wrong sometimes

This entire exchange started by me asking why 5* QBs do not seem to want to come to ND. In my opinion, it can easily be argued that the Rees offense appears to be one of the reasons.  And yes, referencing 33 points a game is valid since do 5* QBs really want to play for a ball control offense which cannot score more than 14 points in a play-off game? 

On 7/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, jbrown_9999 said:

You realize that ND had 4 senior OL who all ended up getting drafted and no dynamic WRs last year, right? Yet, you wanted Rees to go air raid? You adjust the scheme to the players available - that's what good coaches do. Freeman said the same thing in a recent interview - get the best players on the field and adjust the scheme accordingly. The best players on offense last year were the 5 OL, Ian Book, Kyren Williams, and Michael Mayer. Due to injuries and other things (lack of recruiting included), ND did not have good enough WRs last year to stretch the field like some other CFP contenders. McKinley and Skowronek both ranked near the top for WRs in run blocking per PFF. Rees implemented the best offense he could given the hand that he was dealt. And he did enough to get ND to 10-0 and into the Playoff.

If you want to talk about whether that type of offense can win a title, that's a different conversation. If you want to talk about the lack of talent at WR, that's also a different conversation. In a recent interview, Rees said the offense this year will be drastically different than last year. Why? Because he will be breaking in a new OL, and will have better weapons on the outside in Lenzy and Austin (who were both injured throughout most of last season). Expect Kyren to be used as a pass catcher out of the backfield as he is one of the best in the country at that (per Dane Brugler from the Athletic, who ranked Kyren as the #3 draft-eligible RB in college), and also a healthy dose of Michael Mayer (who Rees said would be the primary or secondary target a bunch this season).

Good coaches adjust their scheme based on the players they have available. Rees did that last year. The ground-and-pound is not a sexy offense and there is a cap to how many points that offense can score. But Rees implemented that offense because that put the players available in the best position to succeed. ND made the Playoff as a result.