Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

19 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I'm really liking clicking on the site and it opens to all the latest threads. Great improvement rather than having to look at recruiting, then general discussion, then etc. Cheers!

Thanks @jimbo! It was a pretty drastic change, and it's easy to swap back if needed, but I haven't heard anything negative about it. Wasn't sure how it would land. And thanks @OKelleyIrish for the suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback! 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, imroc said:

Ugh! I made that signature prolly 16 yrs ago and have no back up! You evildoer! Loo

Sorry @imroc! I tried to do some digging but I have no idea how to recover it. I do have a backup of the database, so I may be able to try and dig it out in the future if you want, but no guarantee since that might be slightly above my technical knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

A few upgrades / updates on the Domer Domain forums

Finished:

• Created a custom toolbar / editor for dark mode so it's easier to read and see the buttons in dark mode. It's not as clean as the light mode version, but it's much better than it was before.

In-Progress / Finished:

• The forums started to exceed my allotted resources with my host, so I had to upgrade to a more expensive plan to avoid any downtime. As we're on a different server now (Same Host -- just moved from Shared to Cloud Hosting), there is a chance that some recent posts may be lost. I don't expect to lose anything as the transfer is now finished, but the hosting provider did mention users may resolve to the old DNS occasionally for the next 24 - 48 hours. Again, I don't expect much if anything not to transfer over, but I wanted to let you all know.

To-Be-Determined:

• In working with the Forum developers, there looks to be a conflict with the Chat where errors keep on getting logged. I haven't seen it resulting in any issues on the site, but I have disabled it temporarily. We may need consider giving a gameday thread this week while I look into it.

--------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, feedback, etc!

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Hey @Mike and crew… 

thank you all for making the following upgrade:

clicking on the title now takes us to the unread messages, and I’m only now realizing that.  Before today I thought I had to go to the last page and scroll down.  

so much better!

They might've changed the behavior with the last software update. But I'm glad! We always had the ability to click the "mins/hours/days ago" portion to go to the recent post, but I always felt the title take you directly to the first unread. Thanks for the feedback, @TexasDomer

46 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

@Mikei figure you hear about it when people have complaints, you should hear about it when things are appreciated 

It does mean a lot. Thank you!

Luckily there haven't been too many complaints outside of the initial change to the new software for some people, but that was expected with such a significant change. I think most people are happy with the switch at this point, however. Thank you again, and I appreciate any feedback, requests, and criticisms. Whatever I can do to make DD more enjoyable / inviting!

• Heart 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another update to the forums - A swap back to the traditional view for now.

I would prefer having the default forum view as the fluid "all forums" view, however it is not the best in terms in terms of Search Visibility for Domer Domain. Having each forum separate in the traditional view would be the best to way to get more eyes on it in Google. However, I made a request to the forum devs to at least give the option to have the fluid view (all forums) be default for members, but traditional for guests / google. We'll see if anything comes of it.

But for now, if you want to switch back to the fluid / all forums view, it's just a matter of clicking this one time, and it will become your default view again.

image.png.83da8e16ba922e27815801eb03636e1a.png

Sorry for the extra step. But it's the best option for the health of the forums right now to have this as the default.

Thank you everyone for the understanding.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Another update to the forums - A swap back to the traditional view for now.

I would prefer having the default forum view as the fluid "all forums" view, however it is not the best in terms in terms of Search Visibility for Domer Domain. Having each forum separate in the traditional view would be the best to way to get more eyes on it in Google. However, I made a request to the forum devs to at least give the option to have the fluid view (all forums) be default for members, but traditional for guests / google. We'll see if anything comes of it.

But for now, if you want to switch back to the fluid / all forums view, it's just a matter of clicking this one time, and it will become your default view again.

image.png.83da8e16ba922e27815801eb03636e1a.png

Sorry for the extra step. But it's the best option for the health of the forums right now to have this as the default.

Thank you everyone for the understanding.

I love this. You continue to amaze me.

• Heart 1

• 7 months later...

Have there been any forum updates or plug ins added in the past few months that are affecting site history?  I know I haven't been around in a while but I have threads dating back to at least December that are showing up as unread again.  Threads in which I was already active in the past.