Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

1 minute ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Hope I am not coming off as picky...just trying to help add to the experience.

How did you change the width like that? I probably am going to refrain on making any width / layout changes like that at a site-level just due to the risk of breaking elements with the responsive design, but I could take a look.

Thanks, and never an issue. The more feedback / suggestions, the better. A lot of the changes I made over the last 6 months were thanks to requests like yours.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

How did you change the width like that? I probably am going to refrain on making any width / layout changes like that at a site-level just due to the risk of breaking elements with the responsive design, but I could take a look.

Thanks, and never an issue. The more feedback / suggestions, the better. A lot of the changes I made over the last 6 months were thanks to requests like yours.

I don't know how it was done, I will ask though.  Its not the board I help to moderate.  For what it is worth, that board also utilizes the right side bar with the thread stats, top posters of the topic, popular days, etc.  It just extends to take up more of the left of the screen which isn't used.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ok what you have to do is enable "fluid width".  You'll have to do it for both themes I believe.

3 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Ok what you have to do is enable "fluid width".  You'll have to do it for both themes I believe.

Thanks @NYGoldenDomer. Found the setting pretty easily and tested it in dark mode. It's a very easy change to make, but I see why it's disabled by default. On a regular 1080p monitor, it's fine, but at other resolutions, things look really unnatural, and there's not one size that fits all for 'Fluid Width size'.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Thanks @NYGoldenDomer. Found the setting pretty easily and tested it in dark mode. It's a very easy change to make, but I see why it's disabled by default. On a regular 1080p monitor, it's fine, but at other resolutions, things look really unnatural, and there's not one size that fits all for 'Fluid Width size'.

Ah man, ok.  I assumed fluid would mean it caters to whatever the screen is.  It's fine, like I said, not a huge deal.

Just now, NYGoldenDomer said:

Ah man, ok.  I assumed fluid would mean it caters to whatever the screen is.  It's fine, like I said, not a huge deal.

It does, but it's based on percentage of screen. I wish there was a max pixel width instead. That would work better.

The way it currently is, I can make it 90% of your screen, which is WAY too wide on a 1440p monitor for example, but fine on 1080p, but when I changed it to 60%, it's perfect on the 1440p monitor, but terrible for 1080p.

Things were even worse in 4K ? 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

It does, but it's based on percentage of screen. I wish there was a max pixel width instead. That would work better.

The way it currently is, I can make it 90% of your screen, which is WAY too wide on a 1440p monitor for example, but fine on 1080p, but when I changed it to 60%, it's perfect on the 1440p monitor, but terrible for 1080p.

Things were even worse in 4K ? 

I see.  Yea I have a 23" 1080 screen here at work so I guess it just happens to work for me.

• Cheers 1

Hey, I have noticed something every since the new website. I get this error message when I attempt to get on the website. DD is on my quick link bar, usually use that, but it did it even when I tried to go through google. I am using Firefox currently.

Before anyone says, no, its not my internet connection strength. I am able to go to other sites and I am able to go to DD after about 3 minutes.

error message.png

Edited by NDhoosier

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Hey, I have noticed something every since the new website. I get this error message when I attempt to get on the website. DD is on my quick link bar, usually use that, but it did it even when I tried to go through google. I am using Firefox currently.

Before anyone says, no, its not my internet connection strength. I am able to go to other sites and I am able to go to DD after about 3 minutes.

error message.png

@NDhoosier I'm sorry you're having issues. Can you right click the quick link and either copy and paste the link here or send it to me in a direct message? I think it might be a old URL that no longer exists. And I might need to just set up a redirect for it. I know there have been some issues with Firefox but they mainly had to do with embedded tweets. 

46 minutes ago, Mike said:

@NDhoosier I'm sorry you're having issues. Can you right click the quick link and either copy and paste the link here or send it to me in a direct message? I think it might be a old URL that no longer exists. And I might need to just set up a redirect for it. I know there have been some issues with Firefox but they mainly had to do with embedded tweets. 

It only happens every-so-often and there doesn't seem to be any specific cause that I can pinpoint. I am using this link...

https://www.domerdomain.com/forum

6 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup. Sometimes things, for whatever reason, just gets stuck.

Did you switch your services when you took over?

I had to switch a bunch of things. From vBulletin to Invision power on the forums. From Joomla to WordPress for the blog. And hosting I made a switch I believe (can't remember who the previous owner used). Changed from a non secure site to https. And more.

So lots of room for issues if there is old cached content.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I had to switch a bunch of things. From vBulletin to Invision power on the forums. From Joomla to WordPress for the blog. And hosting I made a switch I believe (can't remember who the previous owner used). Changed from a non secure site to https. And more.

So lots of room for issues if there is old cached content.

lol. I figured. And that's plenty to make something stick.

• Cheers 1