Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, echo88 said:

No, I was above the threshold on messages---not Jeff, as my initial post explained.  Messages that I would've liked to have hung on to even for nostalgic purposes, if nothing else.  I wiped them all out so I could send my message though.  And you're right about not being forced to stick around.  I've only seen about 10 members total post anything here since the ownership change, so Im not sure how you quantify that as "most".  Not that you held any open dialogue before making the changes anyway.  That's not "whining".  It's criticism of decisions you made in your own financial/creative design interests...on an ND forum supporting and discussing a team of which you are not even a fan.  Good luck with that.  

It's the off-season, so activity is less than I would expect during the season. Maybe most members wasn't the best phrasing, but a vast majority of people who did comment on the upgrades did welcome them. There were 1 or 2 outliers, but it was almost all positive. But it's a stark contrast to how the forum was. And although I'm not a Notre Dame fan, I'm a fan of the sport. So I don't understand how that's relevant as long as I'm trying to provide a better experience for Notre Dame fans. And Sessions are up 30% this year vs last year at this time, with pageviews up 60%, so I'm hoping I'm doing that to some degree. Plus the addition of a ticket exchange, reactions, and being open to more member requests, I don't see what I'm doing wrong here.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:54 PM, jbrown_9999 said:

Echo, as an IT type who had somewhat seriously considered buying the domain but who did not want the responsibility/time commitment, I do not have a problem with the work Mike has done. The prior site was on an old, unsupported version of software and upgrading or migrating it was something which probably should have been done sooner even if only for security purposes. IMO, Mike has been fairly responsive from a support/issue perspective (especially considering that this is probably more of a hobby given the financials). Is it perfect, no. But I do not have any major complaints.

Also, the old site is most likely backed up so those past messages might be available if Mike wanted to spend the time to do that. (good spot for the old catching flies with honey / vinegar adage ) 

Thank you for understanding & support @jbrown_9999.  And you are right about this being a hobby with the hopes to build it to be more than that in the next 10 - 15 years. The financials alone are at a spot where it'll take 4 years or so to earn back costs. But I'll certainly make some mistakes along the way, and correct them. I'm always open to feedback as well. I really appreciate the understanding.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:47 PM, echo88 said:

Well as an IT type who actually tried to buy the domain but was inexplicably denied at the final hour, i respectfully disagree.  Ask before you making changes.   It's pretty simple.  

For future reference, what kind of questions should I have asked before making changes? Upgrading the software was an absolute must for multiple reasons. But I'm always looking to learn. So please provide some actionable feedback and I'll definitely take it into consideration next time it's applicable.

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 3:35 AM, jimbo said:

Hi Mike,

At the bottom of the page there is the 'Go to topic listing'. I use this quite often. Is it possible to make this a little bolder so it is easier to pick out? Thanks.

Good suggestion @jimbo! Just made the change on both Light & Dark themes. Hope this helps ?

17 hours ago, VCDomer said:

I gather the site was sold pre pandemic. All in all.... it's garbage. Fix this crap. Style and format is not user friendly. Are you new? Go Irish! 

Are you using light or dark theme?

also, way to be constructive. 

• Heart 2

I opened up the chatroom to everyone (guests can only view) as a bit of a test to see how people take to it. I'm considering adding the chat block it to the main site or sidebar during game days, possibly as a desktop only option. Live chat has a tendency to get a bit muddy / heated at times, so please try and be civil.

Thanks all!

Chat Room:
https://www.domerdomain.com/forum/bimchatbox/

• Heart 1

On 8/22/2021 at 2:12 AM, VCDomer said:

I gather the site was sold pre pandemic. All in all.... it's garbage. Fix this crap. Style and format is not user friendly. Are you new? Go Irish! 

I beg to differ.  This is way better than before.  Give it a chance.

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Domers!

I changed the default layout in the homepage to show activity from all forums by default, on the homepage. This is in an effort the increase activity across other forums that may be missed. You have the option to change it back via this button.

image.png.67387d383db6526529008228941d8d89.png

If you do want to give the 'all forum activity' format a go, you should see an option to filter content you're interested in on the right-hand side. Just check the boxes you would like to see content from.

image.png.8dc0da3209a87d52e34c62ba1896f468.png

If you have any questions, please let me know! Thanks!
Mike

• Heart 2

Well, @NYGoldenDomer, I caved on your request and implemented the pro version of the previous chat. Currently, I have it displaying above the topic list as a dropdown for those who decide to participate. Once you drop it down, you should be able to see the full chat, and online users. 

I have sound notifications disabled for new messages, but I'm open to turning it on if it's preferred.

image.png.b96cc4aae2e8a91112880b3a6a73c3de.png

As an alternative, I can have a pop-up (facebook messenger-style) on the bottom of the page. But I feel the dropdown above the forums is less distracting.

image.png.9590abc170cab679693168f8972df947.png

Open to suggestions as always. And thanks, Notre Dame fam :lepreachaun:

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

@Mike you didn't have to do that!

I'm a sucker for good ideas. Plus it's the best of both worlds. It removes the risk of me forgetting to add the chat to the home of the forums on gameday, but it's out of the way.

On gamedays, I may make it expanded by default, but if I can't get around to it, it's still there for everyone to use.  So thanks for the suggestion! :cheers:

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mike said:

I'm a sucker for good ideas. Plus it's the best of both worlds. It removes the risk of me forgetting to add the chat to the home of the forums on gameday, but it's out of the way.

On gamedays, I may make it expanded by default, but if I can't get around to it, it's still there for everyone to use.  So thanks for the suggestion! :cheers:

No problem.  I hope it wasn't too expensive.

• Heart 1