Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, BAgate said:

2 issues with the update-

1) Each line takes up 3 times as much screen real estate (at least).  Leads to dramatically more scrolling.  And it is all wasted whitespace.  Any way to condense it?

2) There is no visual clue that there is a new post.  It may be a color scheme issue, but the old software would bold a thread if there was a new post.  Any way to do that?

For your first issue, this software is defaulted to double spacing.  If you hit [Enter/Return] it will automatically drop you down two spaces...

...Like this.

A lot of people are unaware of this and already used to hitting it twice to get to a new paragraph so that makes it look...

...Like this.

If you want to do down one line you have to hold [shift] and press [enter]...
...and it will look like this.

Believe me, I get your frustration.  Its a HUGE pet peeve of mine on a hockey forum that uses the same Invision software.  I am a moderator there and I spend so much time editing posts just out of my own OCD.  It is what it is though.

As for your second issue, a thread with a new post will have a bolded title.  If it is a thread in which you have never posted there will be a dot next to it.  If you have already posted in the thread there will be a star next to it.

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
  • Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

On 4/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, ND_JACK said:

Mike...Appreciate all the work you have done and so quickly. I was wondering what you think about having a spot where MEMBERS ONLY could sell/buy/trade football tickets. Similar to the “Marketplace” that NDNation has. I ask because I am a season ticket holder and often I have extra tickets for games. I would rather have a follow DD member who I know is a ND fan sitting next to me. For many years I have used NDNation for that and I have met a lot of good people. Relatives of people from Frank Leahy, to Father Ted, even a cousin of Q. Nelson that took me to a tailgate to meet him. Just an idea.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, Mike said:

Hey @ND_JACK!

First off, those are some awesome stories! And why selling between other fans is the way to go.

About the Marketplace, that's something I have spent some time thinking about, and I have looked into some options. I'm still brainstorming ideas on the best method, but I'm considering a few of the following options.

The most logical approach would be to get a license for 'Commerce' + 'Classifieds' on the site, but that's a few hundred dollars a year to keep renewed. If I did go this route, I may require a very small membership fee to have access to the marketplace section, and other VIP sections to have it make sense.  I need to put some thought into it, but I do plan on getting something like that in place before the season roles around.

Looking into other options as well, too. But stay tuned :)

@Mike, I mentioned in the feature suggestion thread that I helped setup a hockey forum from its beginnings using this same Invision software.  I don't mean to double post about the same topic but its relevant to this discussion here too.  It will save you the hassle and the money if you just create a separate sub forum for members to sell tickets.

14 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

@Mike, I mentioned in the feature suggestion thread that I helped setup a hockey forum from its beginnings using this same Invision software.  I don't mean to double post about the same topic but its relevant to this discussion here too.  It will save you the hassle and the money if you just create a separate sub forum for members to sell tickets.

Just responded in the other thread. :) 

• Leprechaun 1

5 hours ago, Kelly Gruene said:

Any way to include a football schedule?  I'd like to have one here, rather than having to go somewhere else to see when a game is coming up.  Not a bit deal really, but might be of interest.

For the time being, I added the games for this season as 'events' in the Calendar. Here's a link to it (also in the main menu under forums), but I'll see if there's a way to better incorporate it closer to the season. There's also an option to mark as 'Going', 'Maybe' or 'Decline', as well. :) 

3 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

Why is all my stuff Spanish????

E01D2B05-5E35-409B-87E7-3F292E72FA6B.png

Is it fixed? I was trying to find a translation option for a new member, who speaks Spanish, that probably broke something. I just disabled the second language option on the site. Is it good now?

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Is it fixed? I was trying to find a translation option for a new member, who speaks Spanish, that probably broke something. I just disabled the second language option on the site. Is it good now?

Yep thx

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, ndfanatic78 said:

How do you ignore a user?

Hover over their username to the left of one of their posts and a little pop up menu will appear.  There will be options to message them(private message), ignore them, and find content that they posted.

• Trophy 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:44 PM, jimbo said:

Hi Mike,

A little bit of an adjustment catching up on this upgrade, but yes, I enjoy the new format more than the old one. It's a much cleaner look for starters.

This would be an example of someone who hit [enter/return] twice after their initial line of "Hi Mike," instead of once.

Unsolicited thought, but as a further reason not to heavily "moderate" content, the website's owner has vastly more protection when the content of a website is lightly moderated, as opposed to a website that exercises a great deal of editorial control over the content of speech presented.  So says my understanding of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.  Not that I've ever seen a website sued for moderating content, but still a good guideline to be aware of.

This does not mean that websites cannot sanction abusive users or potentially illegal content, just that they should not wholly exclude differing opinions.

Edited by TexasDomer

I've been working with the forum developers regarding old tweets being broken, where they now show a feed instead of the intended individual tweet. Looks like they'll be finished working on this and by end of day today or early tomorrow. There hasn't been any word regarding downtime, so it should quietly be fixed in the background. Just wanted to give a heads-up in the off-chance there is some brief downtime to update the old posts.

Thanks all!

cc: @Big23Head since I know you have a lot of legacy content like this. Hopefully everything (outside of what you already manually fixed) is working correctly, soon.

• Heart 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Domers! The next version of the Software is in Beta, which means in a few weeks / months, we'll be ready to upgrade. Don't worry, this will be extremely minor in comparison to the last update, and these typically happen once a year, occasionally twice. Each new version is usually 7 - 10 months apart. And these upgrades are usually focused around bug fixes & new features. 

Some of the bigger features to expect:

• Achievements - I have no idea how I'm going to incorporate them, but should be able to have some fun with it
  • Web app & Push Notifications - This is something you will be able to enable if you choose, allowing notifications on your mobile device or desktop computer. Also so it isn't overwhelming, it will keep related notifications merged into one. This will be optional for those who choose to opt-in.
  • Spam improvements - New features to help prevent spammers from registering

There will be much more, but if you'd like to see the full list in the changelog, you can do so here. I will let you know when to expect the updates, and most members probably won't even notice the update has taken place. Like I said, the new version is in Beta, but I will be waiting until the stable version rolls out, as well as making sure any apps / plugins being used is compatible.

Thanks everyone!

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Irish Chris said:

Thanks Mike, the site looks great! Don't worry about the grumpy gooses, they'll all get on board eventually! Or not ?

Appreciate it @Irish Chris! There's a learning curve, but it'll be better for everyone in the long run. I'm pretty confident about that. Thanks!

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

• 5 weeks later...