Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

10 minutes ago, BAgate said:

Is there any way that when you go to a page with new posts you are sent to the new posts automatically rather than having to scroll down to them? Or am I missing something?

Yup! It's very easy, actually. Just click the '# Minutes Ago / # Hours Ago" by the username, and you'll jump to the most recent posts :)

Also, made some more changes to how Tweets load. They might take an additional second or two when there's a lot on the page, but I think it's resolved -- at least it's working better on my end.

14 minutes ago, BAgate said:

Firefox, latest.

I'm sorry that it's been such a hassle for you. I have read similar issues when researching, specifically with Firefox, which is why I asked. It may be impossible to fix from my end, but would you mind trying this and see if it solves the problem?

Sorry again. If it is related to the browser, I'm hoping that this fixes it. If it doesn't, let me know and I will escalate it with the forum developers, but I'm expecting them to say it's a browser or Twitter issue.

Screenshot_20210330-190112_Chrome.jpg

Just now, 97domer said:

Love the new format! Way better on mobile. If it doesn’t require me to re-sign in every time, I’ll certainly be more active  

thanks!

It shouldn't require you to sign in every time. But if you have any issues, just let me know and I'll take a look. ?

Mike...Appreciate all the work you have done and so quickly. I was wondering what you think about having a spot where MEMBERS ONLY could sell/buy/trade football tickets. Similar to the “Marketplace” that NDNation has. I ask because I am a season ticket holder and often I have extra tickets for games. I would rather have a follow DD member who I know is a ND fan sitting next to me. For many years I have used NDNation for that and I have met a lot of good people. Relatives of people from Frank Leahy, to Father Ted, even a cousin of Q. Nelson that took me to a tailgate to meet him. Just an idea.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

Mike...Appreciate all the work you have done and so quickly. I was wondering what you think about having a spot where MEMBERS ONLY could sell/buy/trade football tickets. Similar to the “Marketplace” that NDNation has. I ask because I am a season ticket holder and often I have extra tickets for games. I would rather have a follow DD member who I know is a ND fan sitting next to me. For many years I have used NDNation for that and I have met a lot of good people. Relatives of people from Frank Leahy, to Father Ted, even a cousin of Q. Nelson that took me to a tailgate to meet him. Just an idea.

Hey @ND_JACK!

First off, those are some awesome stories! And why selling between other fans is the way to go.

About the Marketplace, that's something I have spent some time thinking about, and I have looked into some options. I'm still brainstorming ideas on the best method, but I'm considering a few of the following options.

The most logical approach would be to get a license for 'Commerce' + 'Classifieds' on the site, but that's a few hundred dollars a year to keep renewed. If I did go this route, I may require a very small membership fee to have access to the marketplace section, and other VIP sections to have it make sense.  I need to put some thought into it, but I do plan on getting something like that in place before the season roles around.

Looking into other options as well, too. But stay tuned :)

I apologize.  Not gonna lie...  I’m at the beach, had a bunch with the guys, went to check DD and got frustrated I couldn’t find what I needed easily.  I think I may have hallucinated a few things, as well.  Anyway, after coming back to the board sober for a couple days, I actually think this looks really good.  In particular, I like that we can like posts which I’ve always yearned for.  Also, the layout is pretty good.  There is a lot more functionality with the experience.

again, I apologize.  Thanks for the upgrades, Mike.  I honestly don’t know where I saw ads or any of the other stuff I was b!tching about...  I promise...no shrooms involved - probably just too much fun in the sun mixed with booze.  Thanks again!

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

I apologize.  Not gonna lie...  I’m at the beach, had a bunch with the guys, went to check DD and got frustrated I couldn’t find what I needed easily.  I think I may have hallucinated a few things, as well.  Anyway, after coming back to the board sober for a couple days, I actually think this looks really good.  In particular, I like that we can like posts which I’ve always yearned for.  Also, the layout is pretty good.  There is a lot more functionality with the experience.

again, I apologize.  Thanks for the upgrades, Mike.  I honestly don’t know where I saw ads or any of the other stuff I was b!tching about...  I promise...no shrooms involved - probably just too much fun in the sun mixed with booze.  Thanks again!

No worries at all! I hope you enjoyed your trip to the beach. It's been too long since I've been to one, and I love the beach.

You aren't crazy. I did have ads in the sidebar for Amazon at the time of your post, as I was trying to get things situated. You caught it in the trial and error phase when I was figuring it out what fits. I hate the Amazon ads with a passion. So I agree with your thoughts on the ads. The previous owner used Google Ads, but Google is giving me a hard time right now and I'm trying to find a network that will provide the best experience possible, all things considered. Amazon is not it. But is my only option right now. They still exist, but I did bump it to the bottom of the homepage on the forums. 

So please forgive any changes that may be happening in real-time as I get a feel for what works. When I get back into an ad Network, I will probably need to throw an ad back into to the sidebar because I'm investing a lot into features and functionality (latest being a marketplace / ticket exchange for members).

It's just a matter of getting the balance right. I can handle criticism, and welcome it. So I appreciate your feedback, no matter what state of mind you were in ?

Like all new things, I am sure this is just a learning curve for all. Can we get have a discussion with the moderators and administrators pushing crazy conspiracy theories?? That would be ideal. I am all for different opinions, but crazy conspiracy hurt the board.

Edited by Jim2Dokes
  • Cheers 1

I think people should post what they want. I agree that it’s a bad look when people post odd or crazy things. But, what’s a conspiracy theory today may turn out to be the real truth tomorrow. 
Support with evidence, not feelings, what you post. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kelly Gruene said:

I think people should post what they want. I agree that it’s a bad look when people post odd or crazy things. But, what’s a conspiracy theory today may turn out to be the real truth tomorrow. 
Support with evidence, not feelings, what you post. 

I agree with you.  Us peasants (domerdomain anyways)  should post what we want. However, if I were CEO of a company, I wouldn’t want my leadership telling people there are body parts in vaccines or selling Sidney Powell dvds. “I edited my above post it was too strongly worded and I apologize for that. 

Edited by Jim2Dokes
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, Jim2Dokes said:

I agree with you.  Us peasants (domerdomain anyways)  should post what we want. However, if I were CEO of a company, I wouldn’t want my leadership telling people there are body parts in vaccines or selling Sidney Powell dvds. “I edited my above post it was too strongly worded and I apologize for that. 

I get what you’re saying. But, I don’t know what being a moderator entails. I think moderators should be allowed to express their beliefs just like everyone else. I have never, in 9 years, found that a moderator deleted or ‘jailed’ a poster who had differing beliefs. 
The only interdictions I have seen were done because of a poster or two clearly violating anyone’s sense of decency, using racial slurs, for instance. 
I agree that sometimes posters state things that seem imprecise or even just crazy. But unless they violate clear community standards, I say go for it, moderator or not. 
As a reader, It’s my choice to read and/or respond. If I decide I don’t like it, I either don’t respond or I could quit coming back. 
That’s all I will say here. This isn’t the forum. 

On 3/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, BAgate said:

Is there any way that when you go to a page with new posts you are sent to the new posts automatically rather than having to scroll down to them? Or am I missing something?

On 3/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Mike said:

Yup! It's very easy, actually. Just click the '# Minutes Ago / # Hours Ago" by the username, and you'll jump to the most recent posts :)

Also, made some more changes to how Tweets load. They might take an additional second or two when there's a lot on the page, but I think it's resolved -- at least it's working better on my end.

Even easier to do this is to click the dot to the left of the thread title.  If it is a thread in which you've already posted then it will be a star instead of a dot.

• Trophy 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:59 PM, 97domer said:

Love the new format! Way better on mobile. If it doesn’t require me to re-sign in every time, I’ll certainly be more active  

thanks!

It shouldn't make you sign in every time you visit.  I post on a hockey board that uses this same Invision software.  I mostly use it on my desktop at work, rarely on my phone.  When I do happen to jump on from my phone I am always still logged in.  And that is even with closing out the page and Safari entirely.  You should be good to go!