MBB Non-Conference

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice for him to gracefully exit. He's had some good years here for sure, but his philosophy of only having 9-10 guys on the roster and only playing 7 are something for a school like Iona. Same thing every year. They get worn down late in the season. Lately he hasn't even had a team worthy of sniffing the NCAA tourney. Would be nice for a change.

ND drops to 2-3 with a 75-65 loss to Duke. Really hard game to watch (even including Dickie V’s over-the-top analysis/praise of the football team). Poor defensive effort all game. Hubb continues to turn the ball over at an alarming rate. Durham just isn’t getting it done inside. Cormac Ryan had a really bad game. Bright spots were Dane Goodwin with 25 points and Trey Wertz getting his first game action. He looks like he will need a couple of games to get back into game shape.

Next up: Purdue (5-2) on Saturday. Should wrap up before the ACC Championship Game.

Something is amiss with this program. Recruiting? Coaching? I can't put my finger on it. The eyeball test tells me ND's players are not nearly as good as their rankings. ND is slow (we can't even play m2m), the don't play defense, and do not play with any intensity. ND has nobody that can get to the rim and create their shot. My criticism of Brey over the years is his teams are too finesse and always seem to be pacing themselves. There is no locked-in emotional urgency when they play, not until the last five minutes when they are losing by double digits. It is like I'm watching a bunch of guys roll into a summer league game from work. I don't know?

I can say this. I like Brey. He is a good guy and great ambassador to ND. I'm Ok with him staying. But the program is underperforming and treading water. Even the win vs. Kentucky is a huge red flag. To blow that big of lead is sickening. the only thing worse than winning that game would have been a loss. They said last night that ND hasn't beaten a ranked opponent since Wichita State in Nov of 2017. IS this accurate? If it is wow. If this team doesn't get better quickly ND may not get that victory until next year at the earliest.

The one thing that seems different over the last couple of years is ND has always had a decent big man to play the 5. We have not had a decent '5' since Zach August left.

The one thing that seems different over the last couple of years is ND has always had a decent big man to play the 5. We have not had a decent '5' since Zach August left.

I just read this article today which goes along with what you are saying. Even Brey is getting frustrated at times with his big men play....or lack of it.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Mens-BB-Preview-Change-Afoot-for-Brey-Notre-Dame-157235648/

Brey just needs to start getting 3-4 players a class. It’s embarrassing every year we struggle with subs.

I agree. But I think Brey doesn’t like a large rotation. He likes to keep the rotation to 7, 8 max for continuity purposes. Which I can See that as an advantage. The problem with small rotations is injuries to role players basically ruin your season. You tend to not play aggressive defense because you can’t afford foul trouble. And, you are more prone to keep playing players that are playing poorly because you have no other options.

That said, despite losing By by 10, ND played better today against Purdue. Effort was better and offense showed signs of potential. ND has no Inside presence and I cant See that problem going away anytime soon.

I live in Syracuse so this coming game on Tuesday means a little bit more to me. Both teams lack the dominant inside presence. As long as guards Buddy B. or Joe G. for Syracuse don’t get open 3’s ( keep someone in their face) this can be an ND W.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) -- The basketball game between the Syracuse University Orange and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Tuesday night has been postponed. The postponement is because the Orange's opponent from this past Saturday, the Buffalo Bulls, reported positive COVID tests on their team.

Syracuse University is following protocols outlined by the ACC. This could mean possible quarantining and contact tracing.