Sports condos at South Bend? - Off Topic - Domer Domain Jump to content

Sports condos at South Bend?

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

I guess I can't see why not?

With the interest, Weis and Notre Dame program on the rise this could help South Bend as a city.

I have read several media accounts that South Bend as a city is...run down. I am not getting into a war here over this. Just stating what has appeared in some media there fore has wide exposure right or wrong perception. I do see the physical changes Jenkins brought to Notre Dame and if South Bend would jump in to improve it's image this is all to the good.

From Chicago-Sun Times

Can't get enough Irish football? Sports condos answer prayers

December 8, 2005

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A developer wants to build 125 to 150 condominiums that would have a Notre Dame theme downtown, right next to the College Football Hall of Fame.

Jennifer Laurent, a city economic development planner, said the concept is for owners to use the space themselves, lease it to Notre Dame fans coming to South Bend for games, or for other short-term uses.

Gameday Centers, based in Atlanta, builds luxury sports condominiums in college football towns, furnishing each condo with the local university's school colors and logos.

The units range from one-bedroom/one-bath units to penthouses. The South Bend proposal would include parking, private clubrooms and other hotel-like amenities.

Gary Spillers, Gameday chief executive officer, said the estimated selling price per unit would be between $140,000 and $875,000 and would bring in a huge tax revenue. Spillers said the Georgia Gameday Center in Athens, Ga., has brought in about $4 million in taxes for the city.

Aside from getting approval from the city, Spillers said Notre Dame would need to grant Gameday licensing rights to use school logos and colors. At some of its locations, the company has worked with the city and a university's athletic department to promote the condos.

Boo Corrigan, Notre Dame associate athletics director for corporate relations, said the condos are an interesting concept that would be a good thing for South Bend.

''It's something we're looking at and we have to make sure everyone at the university is comfortable with it before we can move forward,'' Corrigan said.

AP