2022: ND at USC Post Game Thoughts

OKelleyIrish

The fumble was really debilitating, but do people forget how bad the 4th and 1 call was? We literally bunched 11 guys in a 5x3 yard box and USC knew exactly what we were doing. 

I don’t understand how Tommy Rees literally has all day to come up with creative plays and that’s what we get? Pathetic. 

Edited by ndomer4

4 hours ago, AnTostal said:
I want ND to crush SC every year. Hopefully there’s snow in South Bend in late November 2023 and ND freezes SC out. I don’t know if ND needs to be consumed by this, but hopefully Freeman learned a lot yesterday. And hopefully next year things turn out better for ND in their big rivalry game than they did for OSU yesterday. 

Lol….unfortunately USC is smart enough not to play in South Bend after October….10/14/23 is the game next year …..we CAN beat them on talent alone. If it wasn’t for their QB extending plays this year I think we would have won.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I didn’t get to see the game. 
I am seeing a lot of Pyne-bashing.  
Can the wide receivers have their best game of the year if the QB had a bad or even mediocre game?

I guess an interception and a fumble can offset good QB play, but was the fumble the result of getting hit?

He did play well. But he had a fumble to start the second half that killed momentum. That led to USC driving and scoring. Then he had another costly interception when they needed him to play safe. ND looked under control but those two plays pretty much ended any type of comeback. Hard to get on his side when he continues to be so up and down all the time. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

Lol….unfortunately USC is smart enough not to play in South Bend after October….10/14/23 is the game next year …..we CAN beat them on talent alone. If it wasn’t for their QB extending plays this year I think we would have won.

They better learn to play in the cold. You think the b10 is going to say you can play the second half of the season on in LA?  

• Heart 2

This is the last time this staff or those around them can claim inexperience as a reason for failure.  I didn't even buy it this year with the experience Rees and Golden have had.  

The staff has to get away from preferences and focus on the abilities of their most talented players. As long as effort is there I will always be in favor of playing the guys with the most athletic ability and finding plays/schemes that they can thrive in.  

I know USCs pass defense isn't good but you saw that Pyne can have some success throwing. I don't think ND had to be so run dominant this season.  Being predictable will only go so far.   For what it's worth, I do think not having Hart and Bracy played a big part in the loss yesterday.  Wrong team to not have 2 of your top 3 DBs.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TexasDomer said:

Rees actually had the offense working in the game, on the whole.  But for a couple of Pyne errors, I don’t have a lot of complaints.  We got more WR involvement than all season

We had 7 points at halftime. How is that an example of the offense working in the game?

For perspective:  of USC’s opponents, only Colorado scored less in the first half and even Rice had 14 at half. 

Yes the Pyne fumble was bad, but how about the defense actually steps up and gets the ball back.  I am not a fan of Pyne, but he played his best game of the season in my opinion.  He did make two big mistakes, so maybe the defense can pick him up.  I watched spencer rattler throw a pick six on the road yesterday at Clemson….and they still won.  I have been critical of Pyne…but he played well enough for a win.  The defense stunk…and the 4th and 1 call was as bad as either of the turnovers.  The 2 point conversion attempt was mind boggling.  While it didn’t matter in the end, it was a decision from a coach who couldn’t count the score.  That’s bad.  If he doesn’t have a high football iq, then his players won’t either.  I am sure it was an innocent mistake, but that can’t happen in a contested game.

6 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Watching the Michigan-OSU game yesterday the announcers repeatedly said how Day and OSU were haunted by the loss to Michigan the year before and how OSU was consumed with getting back on top. 
I want ND to crush SC every year. Hopefully there’s snow in South Bend in late November 2023 and ND freezes SC out. I don’t know if ND needs to be consumed by this, but hopefully Freeman learned a lot yesterday. And hopefully next year things turn out better for ND in their big rivalry game than they did for OSU yesterday. 

All good points, and I saw what Day said about the loss last year to Michigan.  I guess in the grand scheme, it’s unrealistic.  I know Freeman and Notre Dame will learn from this, not be consumed by it because that’s not who they are, and only get better.

1 hour ago, Ksessoms1 said:

Yes the Pyne fumble was bad, but how about the defense actually steps up and gets the ball back.  I am not a fan of Pyne, but he played his best game of the season in my opinion.  He did make two big mistakes, so maybe the defense can pick him up.  I watched spencer rattler throw a pick six on the road yesterday at Clemson….and they still won.  I have been critical of Pyne…but he played well enough for a win.  The defense stunk…and the 4th and 1 call was as bad as either of the turnovers.  The 2 point conversion attempt was mind boggling.  While it didn’t matter in the end, it was a decision from a coach who couldn’t count the score.  That’s bad.  If he doesn’t have a high football iq, then his players won’t either.  I am sure it was an innocent mistake, but that can’t happen in a contested game.

I totally get what you’re saying about the defense, and said the same thing last night.  However, after taking another look, it looked like they stunk because they were being held constantly!  Let’s be serious, when you see a QB scramble that long in a game, 90% of the time, it’s due to holding or a hold is called.  The only thing I was really mad at the defense about was those two fakes to the RB that Williams kept and ran in.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Ksessoms1 said:

I agree that the officiating was bad.  Actually pathetic.  But we did have several blown coverages and, with a decent lb unit, we could have done much better on that side of the ball.

And those blown coverages were due to being down 2 of our normal DBs.  Some of those blown assignments were also due to Williams having 15 seconds to play sandlot football while their OL got to test the elasticity of our uniforms, while the refs checked out the Song Girls on the sideline.  I still am amazed at the non calls all game long, perhaps the easiest of which was Mayer's TD in which the SC DB was trying to jump his bones the entire flight path if the ball.  Oh and Addisons fumble reversal...grrr.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

I am inclined to agree but then the game really isn’t about feelings or what I think. The best coaches know how to bend rules and exploit loopholes and the shame isn’t on them for doing it, it is on the rulemakers for not thinking things out better. 

Hate to lose, disliking Riley more and more, but then I can’t fault him for doing what it takes to win. No moral victories.

Agreed. I'm OK with "pushing" the rules lol... Wish we did... Only grads for us lol.. 

Just hope Riley is a short timer in USC... 

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Was the USC OL called with a holding call all game? Actually, I do think there was one holding penalty called the entire game on them.

They missed an obvious one on Foskey. He would have had a sack to make it third and 20, but Williams made a play and they ended up scoring. That missed call, the fourth and one and then the fumble really changed the outcome. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

Yes 4Q I believe they had 2.

Yeah, and how convenient was that when they started calling holds at the end of the game, and when it didn’t matter.  Those refs needed to do that to make it not look so blatantly obvious of how one sided it was.

Man, I’m still so mad about it all, especially with how much crap Caleb Williams was talking and his showboating into the end zone that was never called either!  I really hate that dude, and he has the most punchable face of anyone I have ever seen!  😡😂

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Apparently he does this before every game.  Or at least every big game.  Goes back to last season too if you look it up.  Some more over the top than others.  This is Heisman material...

Several 15 yard personal fouls would have been worth it. Just sayin…

• Flames 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 2

9 hours ago, Ksessoms1 said:

The 2 point conversion attempt was mind boggling.  While it didn’t matter in the end, it was a decision from a coach who couldn’t count the score.  That’s bad.  If he doesn’t have a high football iq, then his players won’t either.  I am sure it was an innocent mistake, but that can’t happen in a contested game.

It would have required getting two separate onside kicks back with just over a minute to go for it to have mattered. It wasn't happening.

It was purely an opportunity to run a 2 point play with nothing to lose. You see this play out even in the NFL. It turns out we don't have a good 2 point play and it exposed how poor the offence is, again. So it was a good call.

• Cheers 1