Anyone calling for firings three games into the season…

Agree with you that no one is getting fired and on adversity being a huge part of life. 

I think the problem lots of fans have is ND has a history of hiring first time head coaches and to my knowledge, it has not worked out in the past. This team is very poorly coached, and to this point, the Freeman experiment has gone terribly wrong. Lucky for him he’ll probably get two years. 

The other reason people don’t have as much patience is because ND has 5 straight 10+ win seasons. OU and OSU both made similar transitions and it went smoothly. This leads me to believe Kelly deserved a little more credit than many were willing to give him. OSU is a notch above us but OU has been on our level. 

Plus, with top ten talent, should Toledo and Bowling Green really be outperforming us offensively? Especially considering both have talent levels either in or near the 100’s? 

This is a message for the ND brass. We as fans had nothing to do with this decision. The adversity is only being faced by the staff, players and administration. I’d love for Freeman to succeed, but this is the absolute last place to learn on the job. 

Edited by ndomer4
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

I think the problem lots of fans have is ND has a history of hiring first time head coaches and to my knowledge, it has not worked out in the past.

ND did hire a first time head coach who, despite only winning 67% of his games in his first season, ended up having a pretty decent career. Fella by the name of Knute Rockne...

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

I’m with you rocket but when Pyne had his head back/down after those first few drives I was honestly ready for Angeli and I’m on the patient side.

go over there and break a table and a head set or two but get that sh*t outta your system.

someone needs to kick him in the balls an hour before kickoff of the next game.

im looking forward to seeing the development of this program through EOY before I hold any judgement on MF.

If his inadequacies are limited to a non seemless handoff of a well tuned football program I can live with that. Even if it means a 6-6 record.

week to week improvement and a plan going forward with goals checked off is what any AD needs to see going forward.

Nebraska wanted to see Scott Frost post Taylor Martinez and they saw what they needed to see and moved on.. 

17 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

The other reason people don’t have as much patience is because ND has 5 straight 10+ win seasons. OU and OSU both made similar transitions and it went smoothly. This leads me to believe Kelly deserved a little more credit than many were willing to give him. OSU is a notch above us but OU has been on our level. 

It leads me to believe that perhaps it was more than money that led to BK leaving when he did.   I think he knew the jig was up offensively going into 2022.  He knew the offensive talent coming back wasn't good enough.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, retch10 said:

It leads me to believe that perhaps it was more than money that led to BK leaving when he did.   I think he knew the jig was up offensively going into 2022.  He knew the offensive talent coming back wasn't good enough.

I’m really a simple guy. Have a job, a family, some hobbies. 
I’ve never coached anything beyond flag football. Never watched player ‘tapes’, never coached a high school team. 
I DO follow college football recruiting. I do think big time college programs hire recruiting scouts who know how to evaluate high school talent much better then me. And, to my way of thinking, much better than anyone posting on DomerDomain. 
Given that, let’s look at this terrible offensive talent, at least as 24/7 had it when they were being recruited. Listed are the name of the recruit, their 24/7 rating, and best offers other than ND. Boy, these are some real dogs. 

Lugg. .94. Alabama, PSU, Wisconsin

Correll. .96. Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU, Oregon

Kristofec. .93. Clemson, Florida, Michigan, OSU

Baker. .95. Alabama, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Carmody. .93. A&M, Michigan, OSU, PSU

Fisher. .97. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Spindler. .97. Alabama, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Lenzy. .92. ISC, Oregon

Colzie. .96. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon

Styles. .95. Florida, Michigan, OSU, PSU

Pyne  .92  Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma

So, sure, ALL of those people whose business it is to evaluate the players in high school for each of those teams COULD have missed on ALL of these players. It IS possible. 

Or, maybe these ND coaches just haven’t figured out how to coach the talent they have. 

I think Alabama just might be doing more with Lugg, Corell, Baker, Fisher, Spindler, Colzie, and Pyne than this crew is.  Just a hunch though.  I never watched their tapes so I don’t know .

I’m pretty simple.  I just rely on the pros. 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

19 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

I’m really a simple guy. Have a job, a family, some hobbies. 
I’ve never coached anything beyond flag football. Never watched player ‘tapes’, never coached a high school team. 
I DO follow college football recruiting. I do thing big time college programs hire big time recruiting scouts and know how to evaluate high school talent much better then me. And, to my way of thinking, much better than anyone posting on DomerDomain. 
Given that, let’s look at this terrible offensive talent, at least as 24/7 had it when they were being recruited. Listed are the name of the recruit, their 24/7 rating, and best offers other than ND. Boy, these are some real dogs. 

Lugg. .94. Alabama, PSU, Wisconsin

Correll. .96. Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU, Oregon

Kristofec. .93. Clemson, Florida, Michigan, OSU

Baker. .95. Alabama, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Carmody. .93. A&M, Michigan, OSU, PSU

Fisher. .97. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Spindler. .97. Alabama, LSU, Michigan, OSU, Oklahoma

Lenzy. .92. ISC, Oregon

Colzie. .96. Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon

Styles. .95. Florida, Michigan, OSU, PSU

So, sure, ALL of those people whose business it is to evaluate the players in high school for each of those teams COULD have missed on ALL of these players. It IS possible. 

Or, maybe these ND coaches just haven’t figured out how to coach the talent they have. 

I’m pretty simple. Seems like the second scenario is more likely, but I just rely on the pros. 

And I get that.  You're not off base. 

Offered..and starting on those teams..are two different things. Further, I don't see a QB on that list.  I read the analysis of Buchner as a prospect and then I watch him play and I see two different people. Buchner was offered by Alabama as well but I can't see him ever seeing the field for the Tide. Or Ohio St. (also offered). It happens where a player looks good at the high school level but their game doesn't translate to the next level.  (college to pro as well). 

Its not all "lack of talent"...but its a big part.  We also have had injuries set us back at WR.  Also, "lack of talent" is a relative phrase. I said "not good enough", not terrible. 

With the returning roster..I don't think its out of the realm to think that BK knew it might be a down year. 

Edited by retch10
  • Heart 1

22 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

ND did hire a first time head coach who, despite only winning 67% of his games in his first season, ended up having a pretty decent career. Fella by the name of Knute Rockne...

Cool...they hit the 1st time head coaching lottery...100 years ago.

I thought Rees actually called a pretty good game against Cal with what he was dealt with.  The design on that TD play to Tyree was a thing of beauty.  Against OSU and in a few other games, he tried to get tricky too many times.

I thought Freeman should have called a TO when that interception got overturned just to settle the team down and regroup.  He looked like a fan on the sidelines getting caught up in the moment.  I'm hoping that now that he has his first W he settles in a bit.  It felt like coming out in the Marshall game he was nervous and more soaking in the moment vs having the team prepared to execute.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:01 PM, SpeedsterX said:

Rees never should’ve been hired in the first place. He was an intern and had no OC experience ever. There’s no reason why the University of Notre Dame should not have one of the best OCs in the country with plenty of experience

This 100000%. Notre Dame deserves the best coaches in the nation. Especially if you're bringing in a head coach with no head coaching experience. I bet Freeman wasn't excited about having to keep the old guard in place.