2022 Notre Dame vs California: Post Game Thoughts/Takeaways

Woke up to watch the last 8 minutes or so.  Nothing really to add since by that time we were clinging on for the win.  Saw the DL get push when they needed, those guys need some confidence too.  Bertrand out for 1st half next game so maybe get to see a youngster get some LB reps. 

Its going to be a long, frustrating season.  Freeman and the coaches have to learn and adapt.  There really should be no reason saving shirts for the young guys, they need PT to prepare for next season.  I don't see a lot of job security for next spring.  Get them all some game time and see who wants to play.

• Heart 1

Good

The defensive line. 
More touches for Chris Tyree

The running game improved with a few longer runs. 

Mix

Pyne, who started terribly, but then executed the simple throws required of him. 

Joseph, who played well at times, but was in position to sack Cal’s QB and whiffed. He’s not Kyle Hamilton despite the hype. 

Bad

The linebackers, who can’t get off blocks and whiff on run blitzes. We really miss Drew White. 

The last play, where they apparently they aren’t coached to just slam the Hail Mary to the ground. Cal’s receiver is going to think about that lost opportunity for a long time. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:28 PM, jessemoore97 said:

Woke up to watch the last 8 minutes or so.  Nothing really to add since by that time we were clinging on for the win.  Saw the DL get push when they needed, those guys need some confidence too.  Bertrand out for 1st half next game so maybe get to see a youngster get some LB reps. 

Its going to be a long, frustrating season.  Freeman and the coaches have to learn and adapt.  There really should be no reason saving shirts for the young guys, they need PT to prepare for next season.  I don't see a lot of job security for next spring.  Get them all some game time and see who wants to play.

I agree with the premise. But man, is it Sneed or I’m drawing a blank who the other is but one of them is only 215lbs playing linebacker. They lack size on the line and at linebacker. At this point, you may be best at starting Bauer for size and moving Bertrand outside. Yeah I know, he misses there a lot too. But once they get past the first initial line they are getting wiped off from interior linemen.