Jump to content

Tyler Buchner Expectations Thread


Recommended Posts

Tyler is oficially our guy, we need him to be healthy, efficient and provide big plays.

What are your expectations/predictions for him going into the season? 

Ideally he must be above 60% completion percentage.

I would like to see a minimum of 3/1 TD to turnover ratio combined passing/rushing. 

2,600+ yards passing and 500+ yards rushing would win us a lot of football games if we keep turnovers to a minimum. 

10 Rushing TD

22 Passing TD 

 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Individual stats won’t mean much.

Can he lead them to play Ohio State and/or Clemson tough? Or will that defense swarm and confuse him?

Will he rack up stats on teams that have mostly 3* rosters? Sure.

Also stay healthy and start all 12 games and don’t throw more than 10 picks would be a success if he could combine that with a close loss to either Ohio state or Clemson or better.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My expectation is for him to be the difference maker versus top teams.  We saw that Book and Coan were game managers who just couldn’t rise to the occasion. We have always had the talent to beat anyone, we’ve just never had a Trevor Lawrence or Bryce Young. 
 

This team needs to go 10-2 at worst, anything less is a disappointment. I expect him to beat one of Clemson or OSU and get rid of the narrative that ND can’t win on the big stage. If he doesn’t pan out, we are going to hear the same story about ND shrinking and being unable to develop QBs. 
 

My expectation is he’s a heisman contender. I’m sick of the game managers and I’ve heard too much hype. He is surrounded by 4 star talent at OL, TE, RB and WR. ND needs a star at QB more than anyone and Buchner needs to be that star. 

Edited by ndomer4
  • Flames 2
  • Trophy 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

My expectations....

  • People will expect too much too early from the kid lol
  • Early on... He'll likely flash with his legs, and perhaps long ball, but struggle at times with the short and intermediate stuff
  • All the Buchner sunshine pumpers will defend, all the neg Nanceys will call for Pyne or blame Tommy
  • Vs OSU, unless our D pulls off the unexpected, Buchner will have win the game, not be a game manager. That's an opportunity to beat very high odds against ND (currently +14.5) and take a major step forward. Also an opportunity to push too hard, creating desperation turnovers, and make things worse.
  • After OSU, he'll have two easy home games to regroup and iron things out before a road trip to UNC. Him growing vs Marshall and Cal are important, as is his getting a win vs UNC on the road. 
  • The rest, we'll see. If I had to hot-take guess at stats.... I'd say about 3000 passing, 24 passing TDs, 10ish INTs, 12 rushing TDs.
  • Heart 1
  • Trophy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll do one better.  What are the expectations on the staff will use him.  To this point he has been very limited with playing time and what he was allowed to do.  TB hasn't played much in two years and now he's the guy.  One thing BK arguably did halfway right, was bringing new QBs along slowly with a base offense that allowed them to succeed in the beginning by leaning on a good line and run game generally that helped to open some limited passing schemes.  Unfortunately that were the QB whisperer ended in developing our guys.

Tough first outing against OSU at Columbus.  I feel that we have to take some shots, especially because the only tape anyone has on TB is pretty much just running the ball.  They don't know what he can or can't do, nor do we as fans really.  He needs experience and confidence boosters, but don't put it all on him.  

I really want to see TB get on the same page with a couple receivers.  Mayer and Styles seem to be the best for that ie reliable targets and hopefully one other can step up to his comfort level too, soon.  He has to be smart also taking whats there running and not be worried running it OOB to avoid hits.  Book was really good at this.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My expectations:

  • He'll start slowly.  2 INTs in the first game.  150 yards through the air, 55 yards on the ground 1st game.
  • 2 games where he's not the starter during the season
  • 2TD's per interception by the end of the year
  • 500 rush yards total during the year (I don't really care about how many rush or pass yards he has, or even how many TD's.  Just win, baby)
  • Wins every game he starts except the 1st game
  • Not a Heisman candidate this year.  Starts the 2023 season as a top 5 pick for the Heisman.

If he does these things, ND will have a very good season.  I'd be comfortable with Pyne starting two games, even if one of those were Clemson or USC.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

My expectations:

  • He'll start slowly.  2 INTs in the first game.  150 yards through the air, 55 yards on the ground 1st game.
  • 2 games where he's not the starter during the season
  • 2TD's per interception by the end of the year
  • 500 rush yards total during the year (I don't really care about how many rush or pass yards he has, or even how many TD's.  Just win, baby)
  • Wins every game he starts except the 1st game
  • Not a Heisman candidate this year.  Starts the 2023 season as a top 5 pick for the Heisman.

If he does these things, ND will have a very good season.  I'd be comfortable with Pyne starting two games, even if one of those were Clemson or USC.  

If he only has 205 total yards and 2ints  vs OSU were going to get destroyed. Really really bad

 

I expect more that that in the first game

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree Golson on game one  

 I expect him to be a dynamic qb that is able to run and throw. 

I also expect him to throw downfield, look to throw receivers open and take some chances. Those chances will result in more int’s than we are used to, but I also believe it will give us more big plays through the air than we have been accustomed to. 
 

i might be in the minority though for game 1. I think he is going to shine against O$U. Could he have an int or 2 sure, but I look for him to make some big plays and the offense put up points in the 30’s. 

Edited by Domers23
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, golson5 said:

If he only has 205 total yards and 2ints  vs OSU were going to get destroyed. Really really bad

 

I expect more that that in the first game

I’m hoping ND actually has a healthy running game beyond TB12, mixes the offense nicely, and controls the clock a bit. I’d rather do that than get into a run and gun shootout with OSU. If ND’s O-line can establish the run, and if Rees calls an exceptional game, I think ND can win or at least keep it close. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

I’m hoping ND actually has a healthy running game beyond TB12, mixes the offense nicely, and controls the clock a bit. I’d rather do that than get into a run and gun shootout with OSU. If ND’s O-line can establish the run, and if Rees calls an exceptional game, I think ND can win or at least keep it close. 

Not with those stats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

What I expect is the ability to run the ball. I expect his 4.68, spe a RB/FB/TE speed to really open the the door for the RBs Its one less defender chasing the RB.

What I hope his is passing footwork as improved.

Additionally I hope he can avoid taking the big hit.

I'm sure he's faster than that now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Agreed.

If thats the floor though bud its still around Kyren Willams. Imagine having to defend Kyren Williams who can thow plus another RB 

Really wouldn't comp them that way, but we know Buchner can run lol. 

But he's going to have to make teams pay for the attention, by hitting the passes on a consistent basis. 

Overall though, if our OL is remotely close to it's ranking, our running game will be good with or without the threat of a running QB. Buchner's wheels are just a cheery on top. We should be pretty deadly in the RZ if Tyler has progressed as a passer. Teams will likely have to sell out one way or another, and hopefully we're well rounded and capable of exploiting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, golson5 said:

Not with those stats

Last year ND averaged 144 yards per game on the ground and 282 through the air, 426 yards per game total. 
I think if TB12 accounts for 200, and the running game other than him can get 200, ND can win. 
Is it likely that ND wins?  Vegas says decidedly no. 
I guess you and I will disagree about how ND may do it. We’ll see on 9/3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Last year ND averaged 144 yards per game on the ground and 282 through the air, 426 yards per game total. 
I think if TB12 accounts for 200, and the running game other than him can get 200, ND can win. 
Is it likely that ND wins?  Vegas says decidedly no. 
I guess you and I will disagree about how ND may do it. We’ll see on 9/3.

205 total yards and 2 ints and you think we can beat Ohio State??

 

No chance. We had those numbers and would barely beat a Toledo but we're playing against Ohio State

 

Hes going to need over 300 total yards and multiple tds to win This game. 

 

Buchner is going to have to play very very well for us to win

 

If we only throw for 150 yards we are going to get run out of the building and it will be ugly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, golson5 said:

205 total yards and 2 ints and you think we can beat Ohio State??

 

No chance. We had those numbers and would barely beat a Toledo but we're playing against Ohio State

 

Hes going to need over 300 total yards and multiple tds to win This game. 

 

Buchner is going to have to play very very well for us to win

 

If we only throw for 150 yards we are going to get run out of the building and it will be ugly

Goodness.

I hope he has an amazingly fantastically orgasmically exceptionally prolifically all-time great game for a Notre Dame quarterback when ND plays Ohio State in three weeks.  Truly.

The thread asked what each of our expectations for Tyler Buchner are.  I answered what my expectations are for him for the season.  As a small part of my original post, I said what my expectations are for him in ND's first game (with a new head coach and new defensive coordinator at one of the most inhospitable places to play in college football).  Those are indeed my expectations for him for the first game, whether or not ND wins. Your expectations for him are different for him for that game.  I also don't really expect ND to beat Ohio State, and I do indeed think ND can beat Ohio State if TB has a decent game and the defense plays great.

That is all.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Goodness.

I hope he has an amazingly fantastically orgasmically exceptionally prolifically all-time great game for a Notre Dame quarterback when ND plays Ohio State in three weeks.  Truly.

The thread asked what each of our expectations for Tyler Buchner are.  I answered what my expectations are for him for the season.  As a small part of my original post, I said what my expectations are for him in ND's first game (with a new head coach and new defensive coordinator at one of the most inhospitable places to play in college football).  Those are indeed my expectations for him for the first game, whether or not ND wins. Your expectations for him are different for him for that game.  I also don't really expect ND to beat Ohio State, and I do indeed think ND can beat Ohio State if TB has a decent game and the defense plays great.

That is all.

I know.  

 

Then you added that ND could win with him playing like that.  

 

I pointed out that will never happen with those numbers. That's not a decent game.  That's a terrible game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GunSlinger said:

Thank God, maybe coach can bring over his Snuggie.  

Well, there’s a right way and a wrong way to yell at the QB following his first mistake, and Kelly always did it the wrong way.  That’s more along the lines of why I said, “and thank goodness for that.”  I’m not saying he shouldn’t be yelled at if he makes a mistake.  I’m just glad it won’t be Kelly, so give me a break with the whole Snuggie crap!  🙄

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...