ND comes in at #5 in the pre-season Coaches Poll.

1 hour ago, SpeedsterX said:

That's a bit high for a totally unknown product right now. I hope we're a top 5 team but.....

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/coaches-poll/2022-2023/

Completely agree. One positive side is that they have three top 15 games so the critics can’t spout their nonsense of weak schedules. Now just hope the team can win 2 of 3 but I wouldn’t be surprised if they loose all three. Just too many unknowns with the O for me to think this will be a good years.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Completely agree. One positive side is that they have three top 15 games so the critics can’t spout their nonsense of weak schedules. Now just hope the team can win 2 of 3 but I wouldn’t be surprised if they loose all three. Just too many unknowns with the O for me to think this will be a good years.

Need to look respectful vs OSU even if we lose.

Need to protect the house vs Clemson. 

USC as a team, could be better or worse than predicted/ranked. They are getting a big boost because of coaching. We should win that game though. 

UNC and BYU are both fringe top 25 teams that could be ranked when we play them. 

The rest are scrubs and should be easy wins. 

Can't wait!!!

• Heart 1

We do have a lot of great NFL quality talent coming back.

EVERY team has their unknowns going in to the season, but how many teams behind ND can show the same amount of proven elite talent as Notre Dame?

#5 may seem high, but looking at the teams behind them, do I think ND is better on paper? Yes, I do.

• Leprechaun 1

8 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

The critics will ALWAYS spout their nonsense of weak schedules.  Haters gonna hate hate hate.  ND just needs to shake it off, shake it off.

• Heart 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

I have to agree with everyone else so far. I’m really surprised. I think it is called the MF Effect! Now he JUST has to win the big games something Kelly couldn’t consistently do. I’ll give him a pass with Ohio State…..lol

Eh. People always complain that ND is always in the playoff consideration every year too. The fact of the matter is ND is usually in the range of 4-7th best team every year. So 5 to me is right in their range. 

• Heart 1

It will be a more appropriate 12 or 13 after the bludgeoning in Columbus. 

I will happily eat my shoe if I'm wrong. I hate tO$U with every fiber of my being that is dedicated to college football. Their fans are barn animals, proof that humans can make it through life without a prefrontal cortex. 

But they are an elite program damn near every year. Coach Freeman: Welcome to big-time college football (as a head coach). 

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, DamshaBua said:

It will be a more appropriate 12 or 13 after the bludgeoning in Columbus. 

I will happily eat my shoe if I'm wrong. I hate tO$U with every fiber of my being that is dedicated to college football. Their fans are barn animals, proof that humans can make it through life without a prefrontal cortex. 

But they are an elite program damn near every year. Coach Freeman: Welcome to big-time college football (as a head coach). 

Agree with everything you just said. The one silver lining I’ve read is that they have 6 scholarship db’s right now and two may be hurt. One of them is coming back from injury while two are true freshman. I like hearing that. 

• Heart 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, irishwavend said:

Dang…there’s no way…. I expect like 8 or 9…

Yeah same here. With the question marks at QB, defensive back and receiver, I thought we would be around 10. I definitely thought Oklahoma State would be ahead of us. Numbers 5-11 could all be interchanged though.  

It will help the ratings to have a top 5 matchup week one, however we are a 2 touchdown underdog and I believe that is only expected to grow. 

21 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

Yeah same here. With the question marks at QB, defensive back and receiver, I thought we would be around 10. I definitely thought Oklahoma State would be ahead of us. Numbers 5-11 could all be interchanged though.  

It will help the ratings to have a top 5 matchup week one, however we are a 2 touchdown underdog and I believe that is only expected to grow. 

Helps to start higher. Could lose first game and still stay Top 10 depending on the score.

• Heart 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, coltssb said:

Agree with everything you just said. The one silver lining I’ve read is that they have 6 scholarship db’s right now and two may be hurt. One of them is coming back from injury while two are true freshman. I like hearing that. 

I didn't know that and like hearing that. My concern is line play on both sides. I haven't looked, but I'm sure ND's O-Line is ranked highly. But whenever they go against an Alabama, Clemson kind of team (which tOSU is), they get moved around. Same on the defensive side. The gap isn't as vast as it was and recruiting can close it further, but for the most part, when they show side-by-sides on the TV, ND looks physically smaller at most positions. 

1 hour ago, DamshaBua said:

I didn't know that and like hearing that. My concern is line play on both sides. I haven't looked, but I'm sure ND's O-Line is ranked highly. But whenever they go against an Alabama, Clemson kind of team (which tOSU is), they get moved around. Same on the defensive side. The gap isn't as vast as it was and recruiting can close it further, but for the most part, when they show side-by-sides on the TV, ND looks physically smaller at most positions. 

Yep. The banged up db’s may be coming back for the game. Just some bumps and bruises apparently. We’ll see. But yeah, 6 scholly db’s on an ok defense. They also are crossing training some safeties at corner. 
We also may have an advantage because their d-coordinator was Okie States and that was ND’s last game. So it should be familiar. 
Also, it has taken Knowles(their new d-coordinator) some time on turning defenses around. He’s only installed 25 percent of their playbook so far according to him. Granted Ohio State will have much better players than at Duke and Okie State-his last stops. 
Lastly, there defenses has been their thorn and hasn’t been great. Especially against the run. Let’s hope all these things continue. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, DamshaBua said:

Our DL has held up more than well since 17 against the top teams imo. Especially against Clemson. Our DL outplays their OL. And our DL held up fine against Georgia both games.  17 our DL outplayed them

Our OL in big games is a different story. They have not showed up as well as our DL has

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

Way too high to be relying on Andrew Hendrix 2.0 or the pillsbury dough boy to be leading the offense..

11-15 more fitting. 

Is that you calling Buchner Andrew Hendrix 2.0?  

If so, that is a terrible comp.  How do you even come up with that one?

6 hours ago, BrianKellyWasNotTheMan said:

I have a bad feeling this team won’t even finish in the top 25! WR group is the weakest it’s been in years and throw in QBs who barley have any experience. I just can’t figure out why Freeman didn’t go after more Portal WRs!!!!!!

LOL