Jump to content

Big Digit rumored to be leaving ESPN - Fox, CBS and NBC rumored to be next in line


Recommended Posts


This has been talked about a lot for a while now. 

NBC wants a seat at the table with ESPN/ABC, Fox, etc..

CBS wants more.

Fox took at hit with their PAC coverage given the USC and UCLA announcement. PAC was declining even before the announcement lol. 

I don't think any of it really forces ND to do anything. IIRC, NBC is still contractually obligated to air ND until the contract ends. 

If NBC goes the B10 direction, ND can just hop to CBS, who is looking to grow. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

This has been talked about a lot for a while now. 

NBC wants a seat at the table with ESPN/ABC, Fox, etc..

CBS wants more.

Fox took at hit with their PAC coverage given the USC and UCLA announcement. PAC was declining even before the announcement lol. 

I don't think any of it really forces ND to do anything. IIRC, NBC is still contractually obligated to air ND until the contract ends. 

If NBC goes the B10 direction, ND can just hop to CBS, who is looking to grow. 

Many think that NBC is simply trying to expand their college football coverage, which would be great for ND. NBC would have three games - 11:00am, 2:30pm, 7:00pm. One of those time slots would be set for ND home games, with the other two going to the Big Ten. I, personally, would love that. Get a real college football team on NBC to do pregame and postgame. More eyeballs on ND resulting from lead-in games. I think NBC does a really good job production-wise, and would prefer ND stay there or go to CBS. 

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tneun89 said:

Many think that NBC is simply trying to expand their college football coverage, which would be great for ND. NBC would have three games - 11:00am, 2:30pm, 7:00pm. One of those time slots would be set for ND home games, with the other two going to the Big Ten. I, personally, would love that. Get a real college football team on NBC to do pregame and postgame. More eyeballs on ND resulting from lead-in games. I think NBC does a really good job production-wise, and would prefer ND stay there or go to CBS. 

Agree. I also think NBC has been shooting itself in the foot for years with all their off brand sports prior to ND games- water polo, fencing, rugby, English premiere(sorry not for me), gymnastics etc. Hard to get jacked when all these other networks have good shows and pump you up for their games only to wait for ND to play with NO lead up. 

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Many think that NBC is simply trying to expand their college football coverage, which would be great for ND. NBC would have three games - 11:00am, 2:30pm, 7:00pm. One of those time slots would be set for ND home games, with the other two going to the Big Ten. I, personally, would love that. Get a real college football team on NBC to do pregame and postgame. More eyeballs on ND resulting from lead-in games. I think NBC does a really good job production-wise, and would prefer ND stay there or go to CBS. 

 NBC could now have an on campus show as well and be on a different campus every week

  • Heart 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

https://theathletic.com/3495764/2022/08/10/jack-swarbrick-big-ten-notre-dame/

Article on The Athletic today that touches on this. Swarbrick things the Big Ten / NBC deal is a great thing for ND. He also suggests ND could negotiate a new media rights deal earlier than the current one expires (2025).

Good stuff thanks! 
Swarbrick is being honest and playing both sides at the same time. Which is what he’s getting paid. If you read it he’s not blowing smoke up the rear ends of people. If NBC gets the b10 then more exposure to broadcast ND games and put them in the playoff picture. ESPN was never going to do that. So he’s right in that regard that this only helps ND and the b10 for that matter. 
It also could benefit ND financially when the b10 does come aboard. More money for them and more exposure which means more money that could go to ND when they do a seperate deal later on. Very smart. 
Also, he’s saying nice things about both NBC and B10 in case that is their only option later on. Smart. 
He also says it’s all about money, getting to the playoffs still and location(which hasn’t been brought up before). Which has always been the case. If that’s taken away ND goes. If NBC pays them well and ND is still able to get to the playoffs with there schedule I don’t see them jumping to a conference. This also may be easier to schedule B10 games because they will be part of NBC now. They will want that exposure with their partner-ND. 
Lastly, until the media rights deals are done and everyone has a legit deal PAC, ACC, and b12, this will always be an issue. Even if ND goes to the b10. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, coltssb said:

Agree. I also think NBC has been shooting itself in the foot for years with all their off brand sports prior to ND games- water polo, fencing, rugby, English premiere(sorry not for me), gymnastics etc. Hard to get jacked when all these other networks have good shows and pump you up for their games only to wait for ND to play with NO lead up. 

If NBC shows more football where am I going to watch synchronized stationary mountain biking?

  • Cheers 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, tneun89 said:

Many think that NBC is simply trying to expand their college football coverage, which would be great for ND. NBC would have three games - 11:00am, 2:30pm, 7:00pm. One of those time slots would be set for ND home games, with the other two going to the Big Ten. I, personally, would love that. Get a real college football team on NBC to do pregame and postgame. More eyeballs on ND resulting from lead-in games. I think NBC does a really good job production-wise, and would prefer ND stay there or go to CBS. 

Yup. I'm not all that worried. It'll work out for ND. There's simply too much demand for the Irish nation wide. If it's still NBC, great. If it's CBS or someone else, fine too. Just no BS stream only lol. Amazon would be fine though lol. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having college football fans drawn to the station and ND games advertised specifically to them is going to be much more helpful than playing on an island.  We basically have to rely on the NFL crowd who comes to NBC or people who watch law and order.  Now, NBC can advertise to the most relevant group.  This is huge for our next contract.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, coltssb said:

Agree. I also think NBC has been shooting itself in the foot for years with all their off brand sports prior to ND games- water polo, fencing, rugby, English premiere(sorry not for me), gymnastics etc. Hard to get jacked when all these other networks have good shows and pump you up for their games only to wait for ND to play with NO lead up. 

I hate this about NBC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Having college football fans drawn to the station and ND games advertised specifically to them is going to be much more helpful than playing on an island.  We basically have to rely on the NFL crowd who comes to NBC or people who watch law and order.  Now, NBC can advertise to the most relevant group.  This is huge for our next contract.

This can't be said enough.  Have to get more info out to the correct demographic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...