2. Bracy
    3. Tucker
    4. Bellamy
    5. Morrison
  • Nickel CB
    1. Bracy
    2. Riley
    3. Bellamy
  • Strong Safety (Rivals stack, but boundary and field were rotated a lot through spring) 
    1. Joseph
    2. Griffith
    3. Watts
  • Free Safety (see above)
    1. Brown
    2. Henderson
    3. Walters

• I like the D a lot too
  • I assume plenty of rotation along the DL, as well as MIKE. 
  • Safety will likely see a 4 man rotation from game to game. 
    • Henderson I think is just too good to keep off the field. 
  • DB overall should be pretty darn good if we can get pressure up front. 

I like Henderson, Griffith or Walters over Brown. Brown is way too slow to play at this level. Same goes for Lewis, OSU is going to rip him to shreds if he sees the field. I think Mickey or Barnes beat him out. 

I also think Bauer>Bertrand. I didn’t realize how much depth we had on defense. 

9 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

I like Henderson, Griffith or Walters over Brown. Brown is way too slow to play at this level. Same goes for Lewis, OSU is going to rip him to shreds if he sees the field. I think Mickey or Barnes beat him out. 

Brown over Griffith for sure if you're using last year's film,  spring practice and the first practice of fall.  

He's a better football player than Griffith and was solid last year.  

You forgot about Watts. He is above Walters

I don't think Brown is going anywhere. 

I also like Bauer. I'm guessing Bauer and Bertrand will rotate a like, and their snaps may be opponent specific. 

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I don't think Brown is going anywhere. 

I also like Bauer. I'm guessing Bauer and Bertrand will rotate a like, and their snaps may be opponent specific. 

Brown seems to always be at the right place at the right time. He’s your lunchbox guy without the hard hitting. He’s starting for sure. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Brown seems to always be at the right place at the right time. He’s your lunchbox guy without the hard hitting. He’s starting for sure. 

Yup. He's got good instincts in has been underrated by many. 

IIRC I got into a Brown vs Watts debate late last year with someone. Maybe @golson5

I really do like Watts, and hope he finds his niche. He's got plenty of eligibility remaining so time to develop. And I think he'll play some vs specific opponents this season. I just don't see him overtaking the top 3-4 guys right now. He'll certainly be counted on next season when we'll likely be thin at the top of the pecking order. 

7 hours ago, golson5 said:

Brown over Griffith for sure if you're using last year's film,  spring practice and the first practice of fall.  

He's a better football player than Griffith and was solid last year.  

You forgot about Watts. He is above Walters

Griffith has been a major disappointment but we just disagree on Brown. Slow foot speed and poor angles is what I remember from last year and I fear how badly OSU will exploit him.

I still think you get someone like Henderson or Walters ready to start as they may be our only other guys with the athletic ability to not get exposed vs the top tier teams. I think Brown is a group of 5 level player. Only time will tell. 

4 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Griffith has been a major disappointment but we just disagree on Brown. Slow foot speed and poor angles is what I remember from last year and I fear how badly OSU will exploit him.

I still think you get someone like Henderson or Walters ready to start as they may be our only other guys with the athletic ability to not get exposed vs the top tier teams. I think Brown is a group of 5 level player. Only time will tell. 

Walters?  If you want athletic, Watts is more athletic than him

Brown is no all American but he's been much better than Griffith

Edited by golson5

JD Bertrand is a more natural MIKE, so I want him there over Bauer. Bauer is a solid player, but nothing special in my opinion. JD did well in his first year in a position he is less suited for.

Lewis still has a chance to improve. I think the 2nd CB should have an open competition, but I think Lewis has a good shot of winning that spot still.

5 hours ago, golson5 said:

Walters?  If you want athletic, Watts is more athletic than him

Brown is no all American but he's been much better than Griffith

Well it’s more than being athletic… I’m only going off what I’ve seen in practice and his HS tape, but Walters is plenty athletic. Watts is forsure more athletic but we have no clue if he can tackle, get off blocks, take good angles, etc….

IMO you move Watts back to WR with the lack of depth there. 

3 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Well it’s more than being athletic… I’m only going off what I’ve seen in practice and his HS tape, but Walters is plenty athletic. Watts is forsure more athletic but we have no clue if he can tackle, get off blocks, take good angles, etc….

IMO you move Watts back to WR with the lack of depth there. 

We've seen more of Watts than Walters in games and Watts looked good last year in limited time

I dont think Walters has made any noise yet.  Hopefully he turns it on.  

We will need both next year

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

JD Bertrand is a more natural MIKE, so I want him there over Bauer. Bauer is a solid player, but nothing special in my opinion. JD did well in his first year in a position he is less suited for.

Lewis still has a chance to improve. I think the 2nd CB should have an open competition, but I think Lewis has a good shot of winning that spot still.

Really depends on your definition of MIKE. Or I guess, more importantly what our D asks of MIKE. 

I like Bertrand, but he was out of position a lot last season, and really struggled vs the pass. He brings it vs the run though. 

I like Bauer too. He's longer and seems to have a nose for the ball. 

It's a good depth problem to have. I think we'll see a lot of rotation there. Likely more Bertrand vs running teams, more Bauer vs passing teams. IDK. 

14 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

Tuihalamaka is going to get his fair share of time.  He might even be starting by midseason.  

Starting over Bertrand and Bauer would be pretty shocking... 

Love his upside though. While I think he'll get snaps vs the run, I'd be surprised if he's in too much on passing downs, where I see Bauer as a pretty locked pass down MIKE.

33 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

I’m hearing great things about tuihalamaka and Bauer might end up being the odd man out.  Not because he’s bad but because tuihalamaka is just that good.  

The bag/concern on both Bertrand and Tuihalamaka has been coverage.

And that's where Bauer has excelled. He was used in a sort of nickel type LB role that last couple years in a 3rd down niche role.

I think some have called it nickel-buck lol. He had an INT and 6 PDs last season. 

The only player to have more pass breakups than Bauer last season was Hart... 

I'd guess if there is a competition, it's likely for early down snaps, and that would make it a Tuihalamaka / Bertrand battle. 

I’m telling you right now, if Brown starts against Ohio State, I can guarantee we are going to get torched over the top. Go watch the games against UNC and OSU last year. There were times he had a perfect angle and still didn’t even get a hand on the guy with the ball. 

Brown isn’t a bad player, it’s just that Ohio State is way too athletic and a terrible matchup for him. Henderson and Watts can probably hold their own in that game, but Ohio State is still going to get theirs. 

I’m telling you right now, if Brown starts against Ohio State, I can guarantee we are going to get torched over the top. Go watch the games against UNC and OSU last year. There were times he had a perfect angle and still didn’t even get a hand on the guy with the ball. 

Brown isn’t a bad player, it’s just that Ohio State is way too athletic and a terrible matchup for him. Henderson and Watts can probably hold their own in that game, but Ohio State is still going to get theirs. 

I'm absolutely in favor of getting the best situational player on the field vs some teams. And I'd love to see Henderson in on passing downs vs OSU. But while I love both Henderson and Watts athleticism, they were out of position some last season. Hopefully that's improved. 

Vs OSU, I'd prefer we go to a more C3 or C1 look. 

In general though, I see almost all the Ss getting PT this year, and I think the rotation will have high frequency in certain games. 

• Heart 1

Brown has supposedly been one of the most impressive players during off-season works outs and in camp so far. Yes, he had a bad game against Oklahoma State - so did the entire defense - but he played well after Hamilton got hurt. I think he will be the starter opposite Joseph for Ohio State and likely all season. The rest of our safeties all have issues - Griffith has never lived up to his recruiting hype and seems afraid of contact; Henderson has speed but not sure how great he is in coverage - he credited Brown for telling him where to be when he got his INT against UVA; Watts is still learning the position and seems very physical - great agains the run but how is he in coverage? 

I think the LB rotation will be interesting. It seems like 4 guys will get the lions share of reps - Bauer, Bertrand, Kiser, and Liufau. The coaches love Bauer and Bertrand. I don't see anyone replacing those two. Kiser will hardly come off the field. Expecting big things from Liufau if he can stay healthy.

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Brown has supposedly been one of the most impressive players during off-season works outs and in camp so far. Yes, he had a bad game against Oklahoma State - so did the entire defense - but he played well after Hamilton got hurt. I think he will be the starter opposite Joseph for Ohio State and likely all season. The rest of our safeties all have issues - Griffith has never lived up to his recruiting hype and seems afraid of contact; Henderson has speed but not sure how great he is in coverage - he credited Brown for telling him where to be when he got his INT against UVA; Watts is still learning the position and seems very physical - great agains the run but how is he in coverage? 

I think the LB rotation will be interesting. It seems like 4 guys will get the lions share of reps - Bauer, Bertrand, Kiser, and Liufau. The coaches love Bauer and Bertrand. I don't see anyone replacing those two. Kiser will hardly come off the field. Expecting big things from Liufau if he can stay healthy.

Bauer won't be starting

I think Prince and Junior will earn some snaps

3 hours ago, golson5 said:

Bauer won't be starting

I think Prince and Junior will earn some snaps

I wouldn't be so sure on Bauer. It'll be him or Bertrand at Mike.

I think those guys will get snaps on ST, but Kollie is behind Kiser, who the coaches love, and Junior is behind Betrand and Bauer. Only so many snaps to go around.

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I wouldn't be so sure on Bauer. It'll be him or Bertrand at Mike.

I think those guys will get snaps on ST, but Kollie is behind Kiser, who the coaches love, and Junior is behind Betrand and Bauer. Only so many snaps to go around.

Kollie is behind Liufau. Kollie is playing Will, not rover.  

Yeah I expect Bertrand to start and Bauer to play nickel and dime. Also get snaps but behind Bertrand at Mike

Will - Liufau

Mike - Bertrand 

Rover - Kiser

Key backups: Bauer, Kollie, Junior