2022 Offensive Depth Chart Discussion

With fall practice approaching, thought I'd toss out the post summer depth chart (I'll do a thread for defense too).

What are your thoughts on any potential position battles? I see only a few that stand out, but there's a couple tweaks I'd love to see. Will post my feedback in a bit after I do the defense thread. 

Any tweaks you'd like to see?

Also, if anyone has updated injury info (recovery timeframes), please share!

If there's a lot of folks debating one or two positions, happy to do a poll. 

• Quarterback
    1. Buchner
    2. Pyne
    3. Angeli
    4. Powlus
  • Running Back
    1. Tyree
    2. Estime
    3. Payen
    4. INJ - Diggs (4-6 months from BG Game)
    5. INJ - Price (out for year)
  • Tight End
    1. Mayer
    2. Bauman
    3. Raridon
    4. Staes
    5. INJ Evans (broken foot and surgery in mid July)
    6. INJ Berrong (ACL last season)
  • Field WR
    1. Styles
    2. Lenzy
    3. Merriweather
  • Slot WR
    1. Salerno
    2. INJ Davis (ACL last Nov) - said he feels lighter and faster...
  • Boundary WR
    1. Thomas
    2. Colzie
    3. INJ - Wilkins (Lisfranc, surgery last April, coming off a MCL as well from Cinci game)
  • Left Tackle 
    1. Alt
    2. Baker
    3. Wagner
  • Left Guard
    1. Patterson
    2. Kristofic
    3. Schrauth
  • Center
    1. Correll
    2. Carmody
    3. Coogan
  • Right Guard
    1. Lugg
    2. Spindler
    3. Craig
    4. INJ Tanona (head injury / car accident)
  • Right Tackle
    1. Fisher
    2. Johnson
    3. Chan

Posted (edited)

My comments

• I think most on O are pretty close to locks... 
  • If Davis is going to be out, I'd love to see Lenzy or Thomas (let Colzie take Boundary) get a look at slot. 
  • If I had to bet money on one flip, I'd probably bet on Spindler moving up. I'm happy Harry is back, and I'm sure he'll have the 5 best on the field. 
  • I really hate that Evans is hurt. I thought a 1-2 punch of Mayer/Evans would have been incredible in 2 TE sets
Edited by OKelleyIrish

Think the OL is pretty much set. Will be interesting to see who the twos are and which ones the coaches would trust to sub in a game. Heard that Baker really impressed in the spring, he could be the first tackle off the bench, likely ahead of Carmody. I think we all want Spindler to be great because of his recruiting profile, but he seems to be a clear two and not really in a fight for playing time. I'm most interested in true freshman Billy Schrauth - he has a little Q. Nelson to his game (not trying to set the bar impossibly high for Schrauth, though). Kristofic seems like a safe bet for first guy off the bench at guard. I think in reality, any injury would result in Patterson moving around - he seems to be an option at center (obviously) if Correll goes down or maybe even tackle. 

RB depth is in bad shape with injuries to Diggs and Price. I thought Price was going to really shine this year - maybe even earn freshman AA honors. I think Diggs will be back sometime in September based on everything I've read. His rehab seems to be going smoothly.

So much uncertainty at WR after Styles. Lenzy had a great spring and will be a frontline player. Davis should be back for the start of the season - will be interested to see what he's doing on Friday. Wilkins is out for the year in all likelihood. It seems like Thomas has a leg up on Colzie, although they play different positions. I've heard nothing but good things about Merriweather - he will likely get a lot of playing time. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a TJ Jones-ish freshman season (25 catches, 300 yards, 3 TDs). I think all of these guys will play each of the three WR positions, so a true depth chart is hard to predict.

At TE, I'm most curious to see who backs up Mayer. My guess would be Bauman since Evans is out and Berrong is still coming back from an ACL, but he appears to be full go for camp. Raridon is already back after an ACL and supposedly has looked really good during summer work outs. He's wearing Kyle Rudolph's old #9, so that seems appropriate. He could probably help out with the lack of WR depth by being a detached TE.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, coltssb said:

Davis will be back. I have no inside info. But he will be back. 

I know he'll be back at some point, but if he's slow coming back, I'd like to see somewhat competing with Salerno for reps. 

I'm guessing we'll have a lot better idea soon on timeline.

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Think the OL is pretty much set. Will be interesting to see who the twos are and which ones the coaches would trust to sub in a game. Heard that Baker really impressed in the spring, he could be the first tackle off the bench, likely ahead of Carmody. I think we all want Spindler to be great because of his recruiting profile, but he seems to be a clear two and not really in a fight for playing time. I'm most interested in true freshman Billy Schrauth - he has a little Q. Nelson to his game (not trying to set the bar impossibly high for Schrauth, though). Kristofic seems like a safe bet for first guy off the bench at guard. I think in reality, any injury would result in Patterson moving around - he seems to be an option at center (obviously) if Correll goes down or maybe even tackle. 

Agreed on Baker. Would be nice to see him get some PT. He sort of became the forgotten man with Atl coming in and killing it. 

On Spindler, I saw comments from Harry that were really high on him, but said he's got an area or two to work on (IIRC technique wise). 

RB depth is in bad shape with injuries to Diggs and Price. I thought Price was going to really shine this year - maybe even earn freshman AA honors. I think Diggs will be back sometime in September based on everything I've read. His rehab seems to be going smoothly.

Really thin... 

So much uncertainty at WR after Styles. Lenzy had a great spring and will be a frontline player. Davis should be back for the start of the season - will be interested to see what he's doing on Friday. Wilkins is out for the year in all likelihood. It seems like Thomas has a leg up on Colzie, although they play different positions. I've heard nothing but good things about Merriweather - he will likely get a lot of playing time. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a TJ Jones-ish freshman season (25 catches, 300 yards, 3 TDs). I think all of these guys will play each of the three WR positions, so a true depth chart is hard to predict.

Every stack I've seen thus far have Thomas and Colzie in the same position. But really outside WR is interchangeable. We are a bit funky at times with who we play and where. Coltzie is likely the more traditional X or boundary. Merriweather also fits the boundary/X traits, but sitting in the Field WR stack. 

At TE, I'm most curious to see who backs up Mayer. My guess would be Bauman since Evans is out and Berrong is still coming back from an ACL, but he appears to be full go for camp. Raridon is already back after an ACL and supposedly has looked really good during summer work outs. He's wearing Kyle Rudolph's old #9, so that seems appropriate. He could probably help out with the lack of WR depth by being a detached TE.

I thought Evans was nearing break out level before the injury. So many good things said about him wowing the coaches. Bauman I think is the obvious TE2 at this point. 

On 8/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, Soko said:

That OL looks pretty solid and deep. That'll give you a fighting chance in any game.

It will all come down to QB play, as it always does.

And the overall offensive scheme for each game, with in-game adjustments.  Rees is the guy I worry about most in the offense.  I like Tom, but fear he's not the OC that ND really needs.  He has to design schemes to fully utilize the skills of his available players consistently, and be able to adjust on-the-fly during games, and I don't think I saw enough of that last year. 

No doubt that Buchner, Pyne, and ultimately Angeli, need to step up and produce.  I do think that by game 8 or so, Angeli moves ahead of Pyne.  

14 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

I like the list. Only disagreement is I think Spindler starts and Salerno is not going to see reps this year. I think Lenzy is in the slot and I think Merriweather is a dark horse to beat out Thomas and Colzie. 

Can't see Spindler beating out both Kristofic and Lugg.  And he better be careful about Scrauth for next year

19 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Can't see Spindler beating out both Kristofic and Lugg.  And he better be careful about Scrauth for next year

I think Scrauth and Spindler are the future of OG. We're sitting pretty IMO. 

Rivals just moved Spindler from #2 RG to #2 LG. I'm guessing that's perhaps a step up. 

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Rivals just moved Spindler from #2 RG to #2 LG. I'm guessing that's perhaps a step up. 

I don’t know. People really want Spindler to move up but he seems to still behind a little bit. 

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Now hes behind Patterson which means no chance to start. So maybe a demotion

They moved Kristofic to RG because that will be the battle for a starting spot.

Kristofic v Lugg

3 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Kristofic v Lugg

Exactly. That was the spot to win and always has been. If Correll can’t cut it then that puts Patterson back at center and opens the LG spot. But then Kristofic will just slide over there. Spindler needs to keep improving. Especially with Schrauth having Nelson’s attitude. 

52 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I don’t know. People really want Spindler to move up but he seems to still behind a little bit. 

Like I mentioned before (perhaps in another thread), Harry while talking about the OL, was pretty complimentary of Spindler. More or less said he just needed a little more work. Can't remember the exact words or phrase, but I came away thinking he was physically already there, just needs to polish technique. 

He's still young and has plenty of time. I'd be very surprised if he and Schrauth weren't starting OGs next season. Kristofic might be back, but I think he's hit his ceiling. 

His weight gain (S&C work) is pretty impressive assuming it's good weight. And the flip to LG to begin camp can only be seen as a positive. I honestly don't care if he starts this season or not, but I'd wager he's squarely in the running next season. I trust Harry. 

1 hour ago, golson5 said:

Kristofic v Lugg

Most teams put their 3rd best G, or 4th best iOL, in the LG2 spot.

I don't see Lugg losing his spot. He was the highest graded OL we had last season. 

If anything, Kristofic, who started the last 8 games at LG due to injury, got demoted. Bumped from LG, then sitting at RG2. 

45 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Not if Patterson is #1 LG. Might have rotated at RG more

We'll see. Harry doesn't really care about labels. He'll put the next best in, regardless of position label, to keep the 5 best on the field. Patterson will be gone next year, so I'd rather be the guy getting groomed for LG, than the guy getting a few snaps at RG. I don't see Lugg losing his job anyway. Will be interesting to follow. 

3 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Most teams put their 3rd best G, or 4th best iOL, in the LG2 spot.

I don't see Lugg losing his spot. He was the highest graded OL we had last season. 

If anything, Kristofic, who started the last 8 games at LG due to injury, got demoted. Bumped from LG, then sitting at RG2. 

Well we know for a fact Patterson is the number 1 guard. 

So to put Spindler behind gives him no chance at all of starting.

Lugg and Kristofic are battling it out.  Spindler is most likely 4th. 

If they thought Spindler had a chance to start they'd let him battle it out with Lugg. Hes never going to beat out Patterson

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We'll see. Harry doesn't really care about labels. He'll put the next best in, regardless of position label, to keep the 5 best on the field. Patterson will be gone next year, so I'd rather be the guy getting groomed for LG, than the guy getting a few snaps at RG. I don't see Lugg losing his job anyway. Will be interesting to follow. 

Lugg is gone after this year too

Just now, golson5 said:

Well we know for a fact Patterson is the number 1 guard. 

So to put Spindler behind gives him no chance at all of starting.

Lugg and Kristofic are battling it out.  Spindler is most likely 4th. 

If they though Spindler had a chance to start they'd let him battle it out with Lugg. Hes never going to beat out Patterson

Well, if you think Lugg is in danger of losing his job, then OK. I think Lugg is safely the starter. 

Also, we know that both Kristofic and Spindler can play either side. So either could sub either side should Patterson or Lugg go down. Like I said, Lugg was the highest graded OL we had last season.... 

6 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Lugg is gone after this year too

Yup, like I said earlier, Patterson and Lugg gone. I see both Schraub and Spindler overtaking Kristofic (assuming he stays) for starter rolls next season. But it's way early. I just think Kristofic has hit his ceiling, and Schraub and Spindler are still young. 

8 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Well, if you think Lugg is in danger of losing his job, then OK. I think Lugg is safely the starter. 

Also, we know that both Kristofic and Spindler can play either side. So either could sub either side should Patterson or Lugg go down. Like I said, Lugg was the highest graded OL we had last season.... 

Because pff is trash at grading players if that is true.  Everyone who watched last year knows Patterson was by far the best and Lugg struggled at tackle.

I dont think Lugg is in danger but if one of them is its definitely him.  Kristofic is over there too push him. 

Spindler needs to stay ahead of Schrauth for next year

8 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup, like I said earlier, Patterson and Lugg gone. I see both Schraub and Spindler overtaking Kristofic (assuming he stays) for starter rolls next season. But it's way early. I just think Kristofic has hit his ceiling, and Schraub and Spindler are still young. 

No player got their ceiling under Quinn

Lot of growth for all OL