*****The Official 2022 Week 1 #5 Irish at #2 Ohio State Gameday Thread*****

Might as well get one started.   

Saturday 9/3 at 730pm on ABC

If Freeman was listening or reading this thread-what would you guys like him to do this game?

I got four. 
 1. Don’t get a delay of game at the start of your first possession of the game. 

2.  Have the team ready for the noise. Meaning hopefully blaring as loud as you can of speakers during practice because it will be loud. 

3. Have the team hating your alma mater. Get Holtz in there to give a speech if you have to before the game.  Show pictures and bulletin board material daily of OHio State scores of the past 4 appearances. Whatever it is- I want fire in the eyes of those players. Pure hatred and back-alley fighting mentality. 

4. Don’t give up on the game plan after the first three drives. I say this because I have a weird feeling that they want to run. If that’s the case, this mentality of old school running works usually in the 4th when teams are worn down. Show Ohio State you are tougher them. 

Thoughts on the game. We’re close to a month away and we haven’t even started chatter about it. Love to here your guys opinions. 

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

My thoughts... 

• OSU had the best O in the nation last year. 
    • Doubt our D will shut them down. Just need to limit them as much as possible.
    • We'll have to pass, and be balanced to win. 
  • Like the above post, be ready for the noise. Pump in some noise in game week practice. It's going to be incredibly rowdy and the hype will be huge.
    • Have Harry kicking trench tail all weak long on both sides of the line.
  • We are two TD underdogs IIRC via Vegas.... So...
    • Be aggressive (what do we have to lose)
    • Hit them in the mouth early on both sides of the ball. Dial up some aggressive blitz packages early to make Stroud hear steps the rest of the game. Toss some deep ones to make them respect the entire field. 
  • Leprechaun 1

• Allow 3 not 7: 6 FG=18 points, we can score 20+points.. 6 TDs=42 points- I don't wanna need 49
  • Win Special teams or at least make a play. upsets often feature a blocked kick.
  • Get Chancy: if you can't stop then kick onside kicks, if zone won't work. BLITZ LIKE.  ......
  • Make Sideline Adjustments: Don't wait until the halftime speech
  • Act  like you have nothing to lose
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

48 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

My thoughts... 

• OSU had the best O in the nation last year. 
    • Doubt our D will shut them down. Just need to limit them as much as possible.
    • We'll have to pass, and be balanced to win. 
  • Like the above post, be ready for the noise. Pump in some noise in game week practice. It's going to be incredibly rowdy and the hype will be huge.
    • Have Harry kicking trench tail all weak long on both sides of the line.
  • We are two TD underdogs IIRC via Vegas.... So...
    • Be aggressive (what do we have to lose)
    • Hit them in the mouth early on both sides of the ball. Dial up some aggressive blitz packages early to make Stroud hear steps the rest of the game. Toss some deep ones to make them respect the entire field. 

You know it sounds dirty. But if you can’t hit him I would tell my guys to dive at the feet. Not even necessarily touching him. Just to make him know that somebody will be close every play. Qb’s don’t like helmet shots or going by there feet. 

29 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:
  • Allow 3 not 7: 6 FG=18 points, we can score 20+points.. 6 TDs=42 points- I don't wanna need 49
  • Win Special teams or at least make a play. upsets often feature a blocked kick.
  • Get Chancy: if you can't stop then kick onside kicks, if zone won't work. BLITZ LIKE.  ......
  • Make Sideline Adjustments: Don't wait until the halftime speech
  • Act  like you have nothing to lose

It sounds like you are kinda throwing the sink at them?  Is that correct?  Middle onside kick at the half?  All out punt blocks?  Double reverses?

5 minutes ago, coltssb said:

You know it sounds dirty. But if you can’t hit him I would tell my guys to dive at the feet. Not even necessarily touching him. Just to make him know that somebody will be close every play. Qb’s don’t like helmet shots or going by there feet. 

Nah man. That is dirty. We need to beat em clean. 

Stunt open Foskey or Kaiser and let them pop Stroud early. Get one good hit early and he's looking the rest of the game. 

• Heart 1

No no. Not actually hit and be dirty. I’m talking about pure chaos around Stroud. You can play safe and clean and cause chaos. It’s like the fake junk shot if you know what I mean. 

Anyways, sometimes that first shot can be a wake call for qb’s too. So got to be careful of which way Stroud takes it. 

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, coltssb said:

It sounds like you are kinda throwing the sink at them?  Is that correct?  Middle onside kick at the half?  All out punt blocks?  Double reverses?

Big one for me is allowing 3 points not 7 points. If ND starts to fail there Then they just need the ball, so its like at a certain point it becomes the whole kitchen sink. I hope it stays a game and then my more desperate sounding keys may not apply.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Big one for me is allowing 3 points not 7 points. If ND starts to fail there Then they just need the ball, so its like at a certain point it becomes the whole kitchen sink. I hope it stays a game and then my more desperate sounding keys may not apply.

I just don't see us stopping them a bunch, at least not to the point we won't have to score 28 or more to win. I can't see them scoring less than 3 TDs. Hope I'm wrong. 

Stroud returning. Their #1 and #2 RBs returning from last season. Their #1 WR returning, who might be the best WR in the nation. And Marvin Harrison Jr is likely to become a stud this season if his Rose Bowl performance is any indication of things to come. 

IMO, we'll have to keep up. They might not be the #1 offense like last season, but they'll be close. 

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Kelly always wanted the ball first for some reason. We rarely had the kickoff to start the 2nd half.

Rarely?!?  Serious question. When was the last time ND got the ball at half?

2 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Last game of the regular season last year. 

most of the time the teams agreed on the outcome they wanted too. In other words the opposition wanted to defer and Kelly wanted the ball, so no need for a toss. But your right once in awhile both teams would want the ball or both teams would want to defer. refs could save time and ask before the toss lol. I know, ceremony and tradition.

28 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

most of the time the teams agreed on the outcome they wanted too. In other words the opposition wanted to defer and Kelly wanted the ball, so no need for a toss. But your right once in awhile both teams would want the ball or both teams would want to defer. refs could save time and ask before the toss lol. I know, ceremony and tradition.

Oh I know. I just though it was funny that we did the last game of the season lol. 

• Heart 1

Win the game or at least make it a competitive match. 11-1 and taking the Buckeyes into the 4th quarter who will inevitably be a playoff team this year won't be a bad year 1 campaign.

ND has a QB competition while thin at running back, and OSU is returning it's QB1 and a lethal WR and they're primed for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the line beyond 17 points before kickoff.

I don't see how getting into a Rose-bowl type shootout that they had with Utah benefits ND. Perhaps a little tressel ball could help ND in this one.

Is Al Golden an aggressive D Coordinator?

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, JTennant said:

Win the game or at least make it a competitive match. 11-1 and taking the Buckeyes into the 4th quarter who will inevitably be a playoff team this year won't be a bad year 1 campaign.

ND has a QB competition while thin at running back, and OSU is returning it's QB1 and a lethal WR and they're primed for the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the line beyond 17 points before kickoff.

I don't see how getting into a Rose-bowl type shootout that they had with Utah benefits ND. Perhaps a little tressel ball could help ND in this one.

Is Al Golden an aggressive D Coordinator?

I'd label Al more practical than aggressive that said he has not called a defense in a long time so who knows really. Marcus is fairly aggressive for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Their RB room is like ND's WR room.

Pryor's injury leaves Ohio State with only three healthy scholarship running backs in Henderson, Williams and incoming freshman Dallan Hayden, an ESPN four-star recruit.

To the original question, I would like MF to win this game.

I think he will. I think Michigan provided the script: dominate the LOS on both sides, play aggressive, and minimize mistakes.

The d line is probably the biggest strength of the team, and the o line should mature into a formidable (and deep) unit, as well. We know Coach Freeman can get these kids playing with excitement. The last piece of the puzzle will be playing a relatively clean game. I like our chances.

• Leprechaun 3

• NYGoldenDomer changed the title to *****The Official 2022 Week 1 #5 Irish at #2 Ohio State Gameday Thread*****
  • NYGoldenDomer featured and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what you all are thinking. I'm sick and f'in tired of us getting straight dogged in the media. Every asshat is talking about us just getting trucked by the suckeyes. We're getting zero respect. Zero. Well I ain't f'in buying it. I really hope this team is eating up everything everybody is saying. I trust in Freeman. I believe he's got these men hearing and understanding what these chumps in the media are saying about them. I never had this confidence going into a game being an underdog with Kelly. We played scared under Kelly. I'm ready to shut these f'ers mouth. Let's go win this game and put these naysayers to bed. 

• Heart 2
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, The Captain 19 said:

I don't know what you all are thinking. I'm sick and f'in tired of us getting straight dogged in the media. Every asshat is talking about us just getting trucked by the suckeyes. We're getting zero respect. Zero. Well I ain't f'in buying it. I really hope this team is eating up everything everybody is saying. I trust in Freeman. I believe he's got these men hearing and understanding what these chumps in the media are saying about them. I never had this confidence going into a game being an underdog with Kelly. We played scared under Kelly. I'm ready to shut these f'ers mouth. Let's go win this game and put these naysayers to bed. 

You and I both. Every pundit has them getting spanked by 14 plus. I get it. That’s what Vegas has too. Man, if this isn’t motivation than I don’t know what is. 

• Heart 2