Jump to content

'23 RB Sedrick Irvin, Jr. Decommits


Recommended Posts


This was not totally unexpected. ND wants 2 RBs in the class. They likely land 4-star Jayden Limar (Washington) next week. They are involved with 4-star Jeremiah Love (Missouri) and 5-star Richard Young (Florida) who both recently scheduled officials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of changes around the RB situation since he committed. Seemed like a talent and I hate to lose him but wish him well. 

This provides an early and great litmus test of how real our recruitment game is. If you lose a lower-ranked recruit, do you have to go lower in the rankings to backfill or do you level up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I filed this in 2023 recruits. I think he was committed to Lance Taylor. Wonder if Louisville is recruiting him? Was that Taylors new school? I think so.

That would make a lot of sense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Domers23 said:

According to driskal’s podcast, ND told irvin that they didn’t have room for him anymore. 

I don’t know much about the ins and outs of recruiting, but it seems surprising to me that ND would do this to him after he announced. Is this something that happens regularly? I could see it with the SEC schools, just didn’t think that ND went down that road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

I don’t know much about the ins and outs of recruiting, but it seems surprising to me that ND would do this to him after he announced. Is this something that happens regularly? I could see it with the SEC schools, just didn’t think that ND went down that road.

It happens more with coaching changes. Don't forget he committed to the previous RB coach. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Domers23 said:

According to driskal’s podcast, ND told irvin that they didn’t have room for him anymore. 

Does this indicate ND coaching has profound confidence in a pending commitment by Limar and/or Young?  Does it reflect the staff isn't too worried about the running back situation since Payne committed?  I still don't have confidence that Diggs will stay at ND, and read a recent comment that ND has to "recruit" him each year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think confidence is high on Limar, who is announcing this week and they are pushing hard for Jeremiyah Love, who they also feel good about.  Young is probably more of a long shot, but good news just getting him to campus.  If for some reason we could land all 3, Love could potentially be used as an ATH / slot type given his speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, Domers23 said:

According to driskal’s podcast, ND told irvin that they didn’t have room for him anymore. 

They did to a certain extent and the reason I mentioned the depth chart thing, lol. They told Irvin that they wanted Limar and Love, and were still going after Young (long shot 5*). Based on that conversation, Irvin probably understood it that way (which is accurate). The same thing happened with Jack Nickel last year at TE and ND ended up with Staes and Raridon (two amazing TEs)

Edited by NDhoosier
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don’t see anything wrong with being honest with players. Player’s have to expect the school they’re attending is going to continue to recruit players at their position. If a player doesn’t feel confident that they will beat out the new recruits for playing time or doesn’t want to be a backup than they transfer. It’s sad in a way but that is life we all have experienced similar disappointments. At least he realized earlier that it wasn’t the right fit for him. I wish him nothing but the best .

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it sounds like there will be a "hit piece" on Freeman/ND published this upcoming week and it is going to be about this recruitment. Driskell at IB says he doesnt think it will be all that bad, just a part of a recruiting.

Stuff like this happens and I believe Notre Dame is at least honest with the players unlike other schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.

That’s how rumors get started. We don’t know what he was told, if anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

That’s how rumors get started. We don’t know what he was told, if anything.

There have been reports that he was told that we are looking at 3 other backs and we’re willing to take them all. He understood the message. I guess we will see when the piece comes out but ND insiders have said as much.

Edited by ndfanatic78
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, ndfanatic78 said:

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.

I agree with you, but the caveat is that he committed to the previous coaching staff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

There have been reports that he was told that we are looking at 3 other backs and we’re willing to take them all. He understood the message. I guess we will see when the piece comes out but ND insiders have said as much.

I am not saying we are not recruiting other RBs because we obviously are. I just said WE do not know what conversations the coaching staff had with him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

I am not saying we are not recruiting other RBs because we obviously are. I just said WE do not know what conversations the coaching staff had with him. 

I am saying according to some ND media insiders we do know what they said and what I posted is what they reported. This is a ND message board to discuss news about ND and that was news I heard from reputable ND reporters. 

Edited by ndfanatic78
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...