New Week, New NIL Topic

Lots of strongly-held and conflicting opinions on NIL. Personally, I think that most here would agree that Saban picking fights about it with other programs (allegedly) skirting NIL taking  can only be good for us. Let them slap-fight publicly over the issue. Reminds me of the old adage - "Don't go wrestling with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

I have no idea WTF he's thinking, either. It's not going to curb any 'bad' behavior that may be occurring and just gonna change the headlines around him/the Bama program and introduce distractions.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Synoptico said:

Jimbo sure is goign all in in this press conference...

I bet. Like I said, other teams having a public (and likely prolonged) slap fight can only benefit us.
Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

I don’t get how anyone doesn't find this whole situation fricking hilarious. A bunch of institutions that have cheated through the entire existence of college football are bitching now that everyone can do it. 

• Laughing Leprechaun 4

2 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I don’t get how anyone doesn't find this whole situation fricking hilarious. A bunch of institutions that have cheated through the entire existence of college football are bitching now that everyone can do it. 

Two groups dont find it funny:

fans of AM and fans of Bama

The end of this made me laugh with BK

• Laughing Leprechaun 3

1 hour ago, Rocketsan said:

This stuff is going to ruin college sports unless they reign in the rules…

It certainly will ruin the widely and warmly held perception that A) this hasn't been a pro sport (aka, handsomely compensated) all along and B) players have a deep commitment to universities (and aren't just under the thumb of the much more powerful programs/conferences)

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:32 AM, ndfanatic78 said:

It seems Jimbo doth protest too much, methinks. All his whining and umbrage about A&M recruiting brings the name Lance Armstrong to mind.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, jimbo said:

It seems Jimbo doth protest too much, methinks. All his whining and umbrage about A&M recruiting brings the name Lance Armstrong to mind.

It was funny the Lane Kiffin tweet. I think it was a copy and paste job but it showed Texas A&M 5 star recruits and Jimbos record(I believe) in those years. Then came last year. The best class maybe ever with the first NIL year and a terrible record at that. Chance?…. 

Also, if Jimbo wants to talk that nobody but one person got an NIL deal….fine…but your own commissioner just came out and said that they are seeing just straight payments and “NOT seeing name image and likeness activity.”  

I was just talking to a college golfer about NIL.  She said all of her friends are sponsoring vitamin drinks, but their main reimbursement is product, not money.

If you were looking for NIL opportunities for the average player, not the stars, where would you look?  For instance, I told that golfer that she should partner with local courses.  Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, irishwavend said:

I was just talking to a college golfer about NIL.  She said all of her friends are sponsoring vitamin drinks, but their main reimbursement is product, not money.

If you were looking for NIL opportunities for the average player, not the stars, where would you look?  For instance, I told that golfer that she should partner with local courses.  Any thoughts?

I think local businesses for sure. And, I would go back to 'where this all began' and say social media presence. I do wonder about apparel, which will certainly be a battleground since that is a major source of revenue for football programs. But, that wouldn't be the first time a player and a league locked horns over competing interests sponsorships
Raiderdamus' Friday Foretelling: Raiders vs. Broncos - Silver And Black  Pride

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rocketsan said:

This stuff is going to ruin college sports unless they reign in the rules…

Clearly needing reform but what legislation and how will it be enforced to ensure no unfair beneficiaries etc. 

The NCAA is a f**king joke and they’re the reason we have this mess.

I’m not one who enjoys watching anything burn but I am enjoying the playing field being re-tilted and will get a huge kick out of non traditional powers entrenched in lucrative NIL markets A&M, Houston, Cincinnati dethroning the old boys club of the SEC who’m Mark Emmert was supporting with his authoritarian regime in the NCAA. 

• Cheers 2