Transfer portal

3 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

LOL @Synoptico you're on the same wavelength....

you realize you are "derailing" the thread just as much with stuff like this...

Though, I do not necessarily believe the thread was being derailed. Is there anything specific you would like to discuss regarding the transfer portal @TexasDomer?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, NDhoosier said:

You sound like that clown, Kaepernick, comparing NFL with slavery... They are not indentured servants, they got a free college education... voluntarily. Ask majority of college educated people if they would play a sport for their debt to go away.

a free college education which the major programs actively discourage them from pursuing and which provides them no meaningful expectation of increasing their earning potential post-college when you have admins (not players, not coaches, not trainers), admins, raking in 7-figures. Yup, they should shut their yaps and be grateful. 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, ND_JACK said:

My limited life experiences being around “professional “ (with NIL what’s the definition of professional) athletes numero uno they are genetic freaks athletically. No different then the mental genius or music composer. They were born with talents far greater then the average person. Some choosing to use those talents even to obsess over them.  Sure the average person through hard work and dedication can become very good. But most professionals “ I believe “ were born with special talents.

I am not saying we shouldn’t pay them to see them perform their talents. But to think every athlete got to where they are mainly because of hard work I disagree with. I know I had to study harder in college to get a good job in my profession then some professional athletes did in their sport.

Only in edge cases do you have kids making it to blue chip programs (let alone, making an impact there) without having consistently worked at the sport from middle-school or earlier. Bo Jacksons are exceedingly rare, especially nowadays. 

I grew up down the street from a blue-chip recruit in the 90's. The kid had absolutely won the genetic lottery, his family had other pro athletes and this kid set records in his youth without having to lift a finger. But, by high school, he started putting in effort and became a premier signee at a blue-blood. He even came in as a freshman and made a name for himself, only to get passed up, hit the pine and get spit out of the NFL before his career could get started. and, this was 30 years ago.

You don't half-butt your way into kicking butt in football nowadays. ...if you've made a name for yourself to the point where companies want to make money off of it, you've put in effort.

• Heart 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, NDhoosier said:

You sound like that clown, Kaepernick, comparing NFL with slavery... They are not indentured servants, they got a free college education... voluntarily. Ask majority of college educated people if they would play a sport for their debt to go away.

And, you do realize that slavery and indentured servitude are not the same thing, right? It's a much more straightforward comparison (apprentice for something less than current value, limit your personal freedoms, voluntarily, with the reasonable expectation of having increased earning power after the agreed-upon period of time of your servitude has passed).

• Trophy 1

Posted (edited)

I will admit my personal experiences with elite college ( meaning like 5 star / 4 star level) and professional athletes is back in the 80s. In “my opinion” these elite athletes were athletically genetically superior to most guys. They were natural born athletes. I was a high school jock myself and I was in awe of what they physically could do. Sure they enjoyed playing sports and would always be found at the gym or on the field. I could workout 247 and I never would become the athlete they were. And again I was no punk. I don’t want to name names I am just going to let go that in MY OPINION elite athletes are genetically superior athletically then the common man and trying to make up that difference through hard work few can do.

Edited by ND_JACK

3 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

I will admit my personal experiences with elite college ( meaning like 5 star / 4 star level) and professional athletes is back in the 80s. In “my opinion” these elite athletes were athletically genetically superior to most guys. They were natural born athletes. I was a high school jock myself and I was in awe of what they physically could do. Sure they enjoyed playing sports and would always be found at the gym or on the field. I could workout 247 and I never would become the athlete they were. And again I was no punk. I don’t want to name names I am just going to let go that in MY OPINION elite athletes are genetically superior athletically then the common man and trying to make up that difference through hard work few can do.

Thanks for the clarification, Jack. To clarify my point, I agree that genetics usually act as a filter of sorts. However, my opinion is that there are so many genetically superior athletes these days that they all need to work hard to refine their craft to stand out among the best of the best. 

While we're not here to change each other's opinions, I appreciate you elaborating on yours. Cheers.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online