Jump to content

PLEASE STOP THE SPAM POSTS


Recommended Posts


Doing my best on this front, and tweaking this a lot lately. We've been getting hit heavily with spammers lately (not just bots. They have to answer a Notre Dame related question to sign up), many being auto-blocked, but there are still too many getting through.

Last week we made auto-flagging / requirements for approval more aggressive, but that didn't do the trick. I changed the captcha this week, and thanks to your suggestion @Synoptico, I made a requirement of 20+ comments to make a new thread. But that won't stop these spammers from commenting on other topics. I also have certain words that will require approval as well.

What I've been trying to implement was a way to not allow external links until a poster hits x amount of content, but I don't think that is possible with the software.

It's a tough thing to tackle, but I'm going to continue tightening up restrictions until we have something in place that weeds out the span, but doesn't restrict new members from joining. This has been beyond frustrating and a giant time-suck for me as well. So I appreciate you guys reporting it as new spam pops up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Mike said:

Doing my best on this front, and tweaking this a lot lately. We've been getting hit heavily with spammers lately (not just bots. They have to answer a Notre Dame related question to sign up), many being auto-blocked, but there are still too many getting through.

Last week we made auto-flagging / requirements for approval more aggressive, but that didn't do the trick. I changed the captcha this week, and thanks to your suggestion @Synoptico, I made a requirement of 20+ comments to make a new thread. But that won't stop these spammers from commenting on other topics. I also have certain words that will require approval as well.

What I've been trying to implement was a way to not allow external links until a poster hits x amount of content, but I don't think that is possible with the software.

It's a tough thing to tackle, but I'm going to continue tightening up restrictions until we have something in place that weeds out the span, but doesn't restrict new members from joining. This has been beyond frustrating and a giant time-suck for me as well. So I appreciate you guys reporting it as new spam pops up.

100% understand and it is impossible to stop them all, this will just limit the impact.  For me the biggest eyesore is the new threads. 

 

That being said, seems like they are pushing some great products hahaha

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

100% understand and it is impossible to stop them all, this will just limit the impact.  For me the biggest eyesore is the new threads. 

 

That being said, seems like they are pushing some great products hahaha

Still waiting for a good deal on Viagra. I now have more Keto & CBD products than I can store 😆. Thanks again for the suggestion. That should help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the topic of bots... I also paused the Notre Dame bot. Most if it is content that was already posted by @Big23Head, and I usually end up deleting the bot's topic. I'll revisit this later if I can find a way to add value to the forum, but between every 1 hit, there are about 5 - 10 misses. So that experiment is over for now 👍

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mike said:

On the topic of bots... I also paused the Notre Dame bot. Most if it is content that was already posted by @Big23Head, and I usually end up deleting the bot's topic. I'll revisit this later if I can find a way to add value to the forum, but between every 1 hit, there are about 5 - 10 misses. So that experiment is over for now 👍

Maybe @Big23Head is a bot...

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...