Brian speaks to the why

• cali_domer changed the title to Brian speaks to the why

Kelly complained about having to travel across the country for six weeks a year for recruiting. I had some years where I traveled 45+ weeks for work. I was also not flying on a private jet...

“I’m gone for six weeks at Notre Dame,” Kelly said. “From L.A. to New Jersey to Texas to wherever.”

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Still complaining about a cafeteria too. Kelly put a ceiling on himself.

Yep. Even though they built that state of the art indoor complex that he wanted. He just didn’t want to step outside to do a little work. He simply wanted to go to call a kid and say come on down. You have the best academics. New score board, turf, cafeteria, indoor complex, weight room, on National TV, can get you in the NFL. All you have to do is come up to see it. 
Meanwhile…it told me exactly what I knew from the beginning the man hated recruiting and blamed everything else but himself on why it wasn’t getting done. 
Where’s Elder at now?  I want to watch someone eat some crow today….

• Heart 2

He wanted to leave and he left. I like our program. I also like the new energy. Sometimes it is just time to move on. Brian Kelly brought ND back to prominence. I am thankful for that. I am also thankful he is gone. I do not think Kelly would ever get the recruits needed to win a national championship. I believe Freeman will reverse that. Question is can Freeman eventually break through and win that championship that we all have been waiting for. If I was a betting man he is the one who can deliver. Time will tell. 

• Leprechaun 1

53 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

And I love every minute of it. That jackass was taking shots at the players. 

bryan driskell wrote a great article responding to Kelly’s nonsense. 

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/.amp/football/brian-kelly-didnt-win-at-notre-dame-because-of-brian-kelly-not-notre-dame

I wish I could inject that article into my veins.

• Flames 1

I wonder what will be his excuse if/when he doesn't win a natty with LSU?  The chef don't know gumbo???

"I had no idea I was speaking with a Southern accent," Kelly said.  Yeah, right.

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

9 hours ago, Domers23 said:

And I love every minute of it. That jackass was taking shots at the players. 

bryan driskell wrote a great article responding to Kelly’s nonsense. 

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/.amp/football/brian-kelly-didnt-win-at-notre-dame-because-of-brian-kelly-not-notre-dame

That was a great f'ing article.  It highlighted what many have pointed out over BK's tenure.  He's a bullshit artist.  I bought into the hire him post Weis, and had some reservations about him in years 1 and 2.  Then 2012 happened and a chance for a NC, and this puke is interviewing for NFL gigs.  His butt should have been gone after '16.  Screw him.  He never won a Natty here, his career wins record should never have been due to forfeiture of games, he's an average ND coach thats all.

• Heart 1

I think it's a fair article.

Recruiting is really really hard.  A man with a family is going to be gone from his family during those road trips for recruiting.  I don't know how Marcus Freeman will do it over the coming years.  He has 6 kids and will be missing an awful lot of his kids' school plays, volleyball games, soccer games... just to do the recruiting (not to mention away games, big city alumni functions, fund-raising events, coaching clinics and meetings, etc).  So far he has shown a great ability to do it.  But can his entire family stand up to it over years?  Time will tell.  Being a successful head coach in college ain't easy.

Heck, if I could make my job a lot easier, and get paid a bunch more money to do it, I'd do it.  I don't blame the man.  He did great things at ND.  I don't think he'll win a natty at LSU, but I also don't blame him for going.  I'm kind of glad he's gone, honestly, but I don't hold ill will.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Recruiting is really really hard.  A man with a family is going to be gone from his family during those road trips for recruiting.  I don't know how Marcus Freeman will do it over the coming years.  He has 6 kids and will be missing an awful lot of his kids' school plays, volleyball games, soccer games... just to do the recruiting (not to mention away games, big city alumni functions, fund-raising events, coaching clinics and meetings, etc).  So far he has shown a great ability to do it.  But can his entire family stand up to it over years?  Time will tell.  Being a successful head coach in college ain't easy.

Heck, if I could make my job a lot easier, and get paid a bunch more money to do it, I'd do it.  I don't blame the man.  He did great things at ND.  I don't think he'll win a natty at LSU, but I also don't blame him for going.  I'm kind of glad he's gone, honestly, but I don't hold ill will.

In every profession there are bad, average, good, and yes a few great ones. You don’t become GREAT without a lot of hard work and sacrifices.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Recruiting also might become a little easier once the word is out about freeman and they win.   Here’s the thing, freeman is being genuine with these boys and selling the hell out of the positives of ND. BK never did that. That is why he didn’t recruit tremendously.   I do agree that everything will eventually take a toll and he may not stay 12 years, but I’m not giving BK that excuse. 

I would push back on the word great. To do great things would be to have won a championship or very close. In my opinion his teams weren’t close to beating the best. I know they got to the playoffs but no realistic chance to win. I think he did good to very good things for the program. Now, Those things were done to make himself look good and further his career, but they did help the program. 

I will say though that he might have done one great thing (quite possibly his best thing). He brought freeman to ND!  That might be his legacy for me. 😎

Edited by Domers23
  • Heart 1

Freeman has his kids at practices and has preached how he will be a family oriented coach and i think that is how he will manage his time with his kids and family.  Along side great men are great women and I dont know for certain but I would imagine from hearing him talk about family she is his biggest supporter.  

• Heart 1

I think Kelly is a good coach. But good coaches need the best players to be the best every year. The elite coaches will turn an average roster into a very competitive team. And will absolutely demolish you when they have a great roster. He took very good rosters and was competitive. In other words he didn't screw it up but he never exceeded expectations. If he had a 10-2 team he went 10-2. 

• Heart 1

On 4/10/2022 at 1:08 AM, ObieKnobbe said:

Freeman has his kids at practices and has preached how he will be a family oriented coach and i think that is how he will manage his time with his kids and family.  Along side great men are great women and I dont know for certain but I would imagine from hearing him talk about family she is his biggest supporter.  

I think the Dabo approach which Freeman seems to be modeling to some degree, will work better at ND than the Saban approach. 

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, SYD4ND said:

I think Kelly is a good coach. But good coaches need the best players to be the best every year. The elite coaches will turn an average roster into a very competitive team. And will absolutely demolish you when they have a great roster. He took very good rosters and was competitive. In other words he didn't screw it up but he never exceeded expectations. If he had a 10-2 team he went 10-2. 

The last 4 years yes. Before that no and I would even argue that he had some teams that should have competed in the playoffs and they never showed up. His last 4 years were also historically weak schedules. I would say Kelly isn’t that good of a coach and he underachieved at ND for the talent he brought and the talent he left on the curb because he wouldn’t recruit.

Edited by ndfanatic78
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 1