ND scheduled their first FCS team (2023)

17 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

not if it means breaking 130+years of tradition and playing  FCS team. This has no benefit for ND

This is an awful decision.

Well technically that is wrong. FCS is not 130 years old. Go look at some of the schools ND played back from the 1800s-1920s. 1925 saw juggernauts Beloit Lombard and Carnegie Tech on the schedule. 

Edited by SYD4ND

32 minutes ago, SYD4ND said:

Well technically that is wrong. FCS is not 130 years old. Go look at some of the schools ND played back from the 1800s-1920s. 1925 saw juggernauts Beloit Lombard and Carnegie Tech on the schedule. 

Good point, I was too upset to think straight. Since the formation of FBS/FCS* 🙂

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

It's not a FCS team, so what does it matter? Do you expect to play 12 games of Power 5 teams?

I just don't see how playing Tennessee State is that different then Playing Toledo, I get its different but The Irish I love play "anybody anywhere, anytime" So which tradition do we follow?   I get the MAC vs FCS but I'm not that concerned.

"Do you expect to play 12 games of Power 5 teams?" I don't so we agree. 

We just disagree on who is an acceptable opponent, and that's ok because its not my decision who ND plays.

• Heart 2

Just now, nd_irish said:

My sense is that scheduling this is all about Tennessee State being a historically black college and is similar to ND basketball playing Howard on MLK Day.  It is amazing exposure for these colleges and the importance of these schools.  It is very likely that ND’s black head coach, assistants, players, and recruits also find this personally very important and that, in turn, helps ND.  For these reasons, I don’t mind it.

Mentioned in the press conference linked above. Very well said!

3 minutes ago, nd_irish said:

My sense is that scheduling this is all about Tennessee State being a historically black college and is similar to ND basketball playing Howard on MLK Day.  It is amazing exposure for these colleges and the importance of these schools.  It is very likely that ND’s black head coach, assistants, players, and recruits also find this personally very important and that, in turn, helps ND.  For these reasons, I don’t mind it.

I am okay with ND doing good with their massive brand.  I believe that is important because we are a Catholic university. But I do see another chipping away of tradition. and the watering down of the schedule.  But in general I accept it, just not really ecstatic about it.  

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, cali_domer said:

I am okay with ND doing good with their massive brand.  I believe that is important because we are a Catholic university. But I do see another chipping away of tradition. and the watering down of the schedule.  But in general I accept it, just not really ecstatic about it.  

very well said. Great post @cali_domer

4 hours ago, nd_irish said:

There are stronger HBCU programs which ND could play. Imagine a match up with Jackson State (w/ Deon Sanders as coach)

The final HBCU football power rankings for the 2021 season

• Florida A&M | SWAC | 9-3. ...
  • South Carolina State | MEAC | 7-5. ...
  • Jackson State | SWAC | 12-2. ...
  • Alabama A&M | SWAC | 7-3. ...
  • North Carolina Central | MEAC | 6-5. ...
  • Alcorn State | SWAC | 6-5. ...
  • Prairie View A&M | SWAC | 7-5. ...
  • Norfolk State | MEAC | 6-5.
  • Heart 1

You’re going to see what’s happening with Bama happen to ND. Play these cupcakes as home games and keep jacking up the prices and start seeing fewer and fewer fans in the seats. Who the f is goi g to fly to South Bend and pay a few thousand just to see them whoop your on Tennessee State?

Here’s the way I see it. If it is just a 4 team playoff, Notre Dame just made their margin of error smaller than it already was.  With not playing a championship game, and only having 12 games, they did have the fact that none of them were FCS teams and many of the teams that were playing in championships had an FCS team on their schedule. So in essence ND played the same amount of games as everybody else. For the year that they play Tennessee State, they cannot say that.  It will be even tougher as an 11-1 team with other 11-1 or 12-1 teams to make it in a 4 team playoff.  

I can guarantee you espn, the cfp committee, and all the people who influence college football today will support this and not knock us for it.  I would rather us schedule some HBCU's than any mac opponent, at least a win like that every year will have some meaning behind it.  If we start scheduling Indiana st then ill have an issue.  

4 hours ago, ObieKnobbe said:

I can guarantee you espn, the cfp committee, and all the people who influence college football today will support this and not knock us for it.  I would rather us schedule some HBCU's than any mac opponent, at least a win like that every year will have some meaning behind it.  If we start scheduling Indiana st then ill have an issue.  

They’ll say publicly they support it. 
But, when it comes down to a 12-0 ND team that played Tennessee State vs an 11-2 Georgia team that lost twice to Alabama, or a 12-1 Michigan team that lost the conference championship game to 12-1 Ohio State, the playoff committee will choose Georgia, Ohio State, and Michigan over ND. 
ND will absolutely get knocked down in the committee’s actual decision-making because of this game. 
I do understand the social relevance of this game. Just don’t expect a 12-0 ND team making the playoffs that year (BTW, ND almost certainly won’t go 12-0 that year; 12-0 will happen in 2025). 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Domers23 said:

Here’s the way I see it. If it is just a 4 team playoff, Notre Dame just made their margin of error smaller than it already was.  With not playing a championship game, and only having 12 games, they did have the fact that none of them were FCS teams and many of the teams that were playing in championships had an FCS team on their schedule. So in essence ND played the same amount of games as everybody else. For the year that they play Tennessee State, they cannot say that.  It will be even tougher as an 11-1 team with other 11-1 or 12-1 teams to make it in a 4 team playoff.  

Then why doesn't ND schedule Hawaii and play 13 games that year? Start the year in Ireland and finish in Hawaii. 

Edited by SYD4ND

On 4/13/2022 at 2:21 PM, SYD4ND said:

Then why doesn't ND schedule Hawaii and play 13 games that year? Start the year in Ireland and finish in Hawaii. 

Because Hawaii has their own schedule. What were they supposed to play us the weekend of their conference championship and just plan on not making it. Besides that, ND does not appear to be doing that, so, again ND loses their argument that at least they play an all FBS schedule.

Edited by ndfanatic78

52 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

I’m boycotting this game.  There’s no excuse.  It shouldn’t exist.  I’m not holding my family hostage on a Saturday for this bullshit.

I felt that way about Tulsa a bunch of years ago.