Official 2022 Spring Practice Tid Bits Thread

Buchner was very inexperienced and if he is named the starter, I bet he will have some dumb mistakes again. but people have to remember that Buchner put up video game numbers his junior year and was ranked as a 5* QB. He did not have a senior season at all due to Covid which really hurt a pivotal development year for him. Nothing like jumping from your junior year to being a freshmen at Notre Dame level of football. The kid has so much to learn and develop. As a true sophomore, I am sure he will be more careless at times than Jack Coan and Ian Book (both were game managers), but what about all the big plays that he can provide (Buchner is a game changer)?

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

Is it me or does anyone else think Pyne needs to lay off the beer?  He’s looking a little soft in the middle.  I still like Pyne though.

It’s not just you, because I noticed that too.  He doesn’t seem shy about it at all though.  😂  He also seems like a cool dude and probably a blast to drink with. 🍻

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Buchner was very inexperienced and if he is named the starter, I bet he will have some dumb mistakes again. but people have to remember that Buchner put up video game numbers his junior year and was ranked as a 5* QB. He did not have a senior season at all due to Covid which really hurt a pivotal development year for him. Nothing like jumping from your junior year to being a freshmen at Notre Dame level of football. The kid has so much to learn and develop. As a true sophomore, I am sure he will be more careless at times than Jack Coan and Ian Book (both were game managers), but what about all the big plays that he can provide (Buchner is a game changer)?

This is the best case scenario and what we’re all hoping for. Some guys grow out of the dumb mistakes, but some don’t. I’m comfortable trading a few mistakes for the huge plays Buchner will make. My issue is he struggled in the pocket in the limited time we saw him. 

Can he win from the pocket when OSU forces him too? Turnovers and developing as a pocket passer will dictate this season. If he has improved in both areas, this is going to be a tough team to beat. 

4 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Can he win from the pocket when OSU forces him too? Turnovers and developing as a pocket passer will dictate this season. If he has improved in both areas, this is going to be a tough team to beat. 

And you can absolutely bet they will force him to. Still scratching my head why TB12 didn’t get more opportunities to pass the ball from the pocket last year.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

And you can absolutely bet they will force him to. Still scratching my head why TB12 didn’t get more opportunities to pass the ball from the pocket last year.

Especially vs Stanford when they put Coan back in to help with style points. That’s when my doubts were confirmed,  it seemed like the staff didn’t trust him and he wasn’t developing in that aspect. 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Especially vs Stanford when they put Coan back in to help with style points. That’s when my doubts were confirmed,  it seemed like the staff didn’t trust him and he wasn’t developing in that aspect. 

That's been my feeling as well. 

I've learned that the media will have another viewing of Spring Practice tomorrow, Saturday March 26. Beyond a few interviews this spring has been very quiet in regards to University produced video. I wonder if its the retirement of Jack Nolan, The new staff, the universities new FightinIrish TV app or just a change in philosophy but its just been quiet.

57 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I've learned that the media will have another viewing of Spring Practice tomorrow, Saturday March 26. Beyond a few interviews this spring has been very quiet in regards to University produced video. I wonder if its the retirement of Jack Nolan, The new staff, the universities new FightinIrish TV app or just a change in philosophy but its just been quiet.

I was hoping we’d get more access with MF, unfortunately it seems to be less.

• Heart 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:31 AM, ndomer4 said:

I would say the staff didn't trust the offensive line. At the end of the game you want to "run the clock out" AND score. But last year it was a dichotomy "Run the Clock out" OR Score. Or puts stress on your defense which wore out after 95 plays. 

In the bowl game ND scored a ton but also preserved the clock so OKLA STATE  could score a ton.

Hopefully with Hiestand back its back to "and" not "or"