Al Golden is "Officially" the man!

Awesome.  Definitely did an incredible job with LBs at Cincy.  Interesting that he is well thought of for his defensive coaching, but he was a TE.   I always thought he was a good recruiter at Miami.  We will see how it translates.  

1 hour ago, cali_domer said:

Glad thats over. Now we wait a week for the University hiring process unless it was done prior, but i doubt it was.

Marcus Freeman’s first staff at Notre Dame is finally completed – at least unofficially at the moment – after adding Al Golden to fill its open defensive coordinator position. Pete Sampson of The Athletic was the first to report the hire on Tuesday morning. The holdup in completing the staff was Golden’s presence on the …

The post Notre Dame Finally Has Its Defensive Coordinator appeared first on UHND.com - Notre Dame Football, Basketball, & Recruiting.

View the full article

10 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

IMHO, this is a huge get. The defensive coaching experience in and of itself is significant but the experience leading a blue blood is a really big deal given we have no other prior HC experience. 

Welcome aboard, Coach Golden.

Agreed. 

Golden knows Parcells worked for Al Groh, coached with so many others.

Been the head guy, worked for guys like Jim Caldwell for the Lions. Was so quotable. I'm ready for footballl season...NOW.

• Leprechaun 1

22 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Glad thats over. Now we wait a week for the University hiring process unless it was done prior, but i doubt it was.

Mr. Faith 22 hours ago...          

You were wrong again. I apologize to the ND Hiring Process and for my doubt of it.

I'll do better in the Future.

SIGNED Faith 22 hours later

• Laughing Leprechaun 2
  • Leprechaun 1

Now I can finally believe it’s happening. There was no way I was going to get excited for this hire until it was done. It appears to finally be done and I think it’s Freeman’s best hire. Checks all the boxes. Freeman will be free to be a head coach and not focus entirely on the defense. This is a very good hire in almost all respects. 

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Mr. Faith 22 hours ago...          

You were wrong again. I apologize to the ND Hiring Process and for my doubt of it.

I'll do better in the Future.

SIGNED Faith 22 hours later

My guess is the process was completed over the last few weeks and they were just waiting til after the Super Bowl to announce out of respect to the Bengals

• Heart 3

Just now, SDIrishFan said:

My guess is the process was completed over the last few weeks and they were just waiting til after the Super Bowl to announce out of respect to the Bengals

Agreed. It had to be done at least like the week before the Super Bowl. After the fact I learned that Golden was in South bend the Sunday of Pro Bowl week(the week in between games).  Because it takes longer to write and post a detailed press release and background check someone than 24 hours.

• Heart 1

I am guessing Al will only be the man for 2 to 3 seasons before he lands another mid-major HC job. I am guessing even with his failure at Miami unless he is terrible at ND he will likely be on the short list for FSU, West Va, Cal or Louisville assuming those are open at the time. I am just pulling that list of coaches who appear to be out in the next two years but not next year.

Wonder if Vandy will be open at that point...

Seems like a good hire!  I think his experience will be really helpful to Freeman.  Had he been on the staff for the bowl game, I think ND wins that game.  Adjustments would have been made.  The team needs Freeman to oversee the entire team performance without having to be keenly dialed in to the defense specifically.

• Heart 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, irishwavend said:

What did he say about the D?

I liked him saying he wanted to blend Freeman's style with some new ideas/enhancements. I like his openness to other coaches input. I really like his discussion about making in game, specifically in quarter/series adjustments. I think his background along with Freeman can allow that to happen.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 2