Special teams

17 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

mason's official.

https://und.com/irish-tab-brian-mason-as-special-teams-coordinator/

• Kicker competition
  • Punter competition
  • Returner competitions

Like that he brought in grad transfers at kicker and punter to push the young guys. 

Kyren will be hard to replace as PR. I know Salerno was the backup, but have got to think Styles gets a hard look in the spring. He was dynamic as a returner in high school.

• Heart 3

20 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Like that he brought in grad transfers at kicker and punter to push the young guys. 

Kyren will be hard to replace as PR. I know Salerno was the backup, but have got to think Styles gets a hard look in the spring. He was dynamic as a returner in high school.

Yeah, I'd start Styles at kick returner that way they need to choose between Tyree and Styles if its not a touchback.

I know we need the field position at Ohio State but coaches are a bit leary of making your first return job returning punts. Kicks are the safety net because the player may have time to recover a fumbled kickoff.

Usually Tyree the returning kick returner would get first reps at punt.

I do agree with you though Styles has best overall skill player vibes and just might win the punt return job on skills alone like Kyren did.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Williams would frustrate me so much. He would not catch the ball and it would roll to ND’s 10. Or he would try to catch the ball when 4 guys were around him. I thought he was a pretty shitty returned in that regard. 
now in regards to Styles, I would be on board except that they are so thin at receiver already. One injury and they are really hurting there. Makes me pause with him. I would much rather have some young in back there then a guy we need for next season. 

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

Williams would frustrate me so much. He would not catch the ball and it would roll to ND’s 10. Or he would try to catch the ball when 4 guys were around him. I thought he was a pretty shitty returned in that regard. 
now in regards to Styles, I would be on board except that they are so thin at receiver already. One injury and they are really hurting there. Makes me pause with him. I would much rather have some young in back there then a guy we need for next season. 

I thought Kyren was actually really good. He took some huge risks, but he had some great returns. He finished with 14 returns for 163 yards, and an 11.6 yards/return average - that was 11th in the country this season. Maybe I'm just jaded from watching guys like John Goodman, Chris Finke, Matt Salerno, etc. only fair catch, but I thought Kyren was a massive upgrade for ND.

Didn't think of that for Styles, but that's a good point. With the loss of Austin, Styles is probably WR #1 next year.

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

I thought Kyren was actually really good. He took some huge risks, but he had some great returns. He finished with 14 returns for 163 yards, and an 11.6 yards/return average - that was 11th in the country this season. Maybe I'm just jaded from watching guys like John Goodman, Chris Finke, Matt Salerno, etc. only fair catch, but I thought Kyren was a massive upgrade for ND.

Didn't think of that for Styles, but that's a good point. With the loss of Austin, Styles is probably WR #1 next year.

I agree I though Kyren was very good back there. You need to be able to take risks at the right opportunity and be fearless and he absolutely was. I thought he’d be up there in average return yards but didn’t realize he was 11th. Those are fantastic numbers 

30 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

I agree I though Kyren was very good back there. You need to be able to take risks at the right opportunity and be fearless and he absolutely was. I thought he’d be up there in average return yards but didn’t realize he was 11th. Those are fantastic numbers 

Oh I had no problem with his aggressiveness. Only that he was inconsistent. I would constantly text my friends catch the damn ball!  Go back and watch this season. His average can be misleading…there’s more to returning than  getting your OWN yards. It’s about setting up the team and getting them good field position. This is where I thought he lacked. 
Short punt. …Williams could make the aggressive grab and get ND the ball close to the 45. Nope, it bounces….he then pretends like he is going to still field it. Only to watch it roll another 30 yards. 
That’s the inconsistency I watched. If you can catch it. Catch it!

7 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Yeah, I'd start Styles at kick returner that way they need to choose between Tyree and Styles if its not a touchback.

I know we need the field position at Ohio State but coaches are a bit leary of making your first return job returning punts. Kicks are the safety net because the player may have time to recover a fumbled kickoff.

Usually Tyree the returning kick returner would get first reps at punt.

I do agree with you though Styles has best overall skill player vibes and just might win the punt return job on skills alone like Kyren did.

Yeah but risking Styles on kick returns when we are so short on WRs scares the heck out of me