Elston leaving Irish for Skunkbears

Shocking news: ISD just reporting that Coach Mike Elston has accepted the DL coaching job at his alma mater, Michigan.

Guess being turned down for the DC job or things not going well for the defense in the bowl game had much to do with it.

Big loss for the ND coachng staff. He  is a great coach and a force on the recruiting trail, Guess Harbaugh is staying put too

7 minutes ago, Jersey Irish said:

Shocking news: ISD just reporting that Coach Mike Elston has accepted the DL coaching job at his alma mater, Michigan.

Guess being turned down for the DC job or things not going well for the defense in the bowl game had much to do with it.

Big loss for the ND coachng staff. He  is a great coach and a force on the recruiting trail, Guess Harbaugh is staying put too

The new Era will envolve both things we don't like and things we do.

Elston Had his shot to be DC and gave up 37 points.

• Like 3

Wish Elston the best.  He's going to his alma mater and the move isn't that far geographically to make.  Could be a number of factors here.  He's been here since the beginning of BK era and we've endured 6 DC changes over that time period.  Maybe realized its not in the cards to be DC here and time to move on.  Dunno.

I don't believe he's irreplaceable though.  A loss to be sure because for the most part the DL was an asset and stable strength for the program during his tenure.  Our incoming top DL commits have indicated more of an interest to play for CMF than for Elston, so I don't see us losing them given their public statements toward CMF.  Presuming Heacock is the next DC, may want some input on a DL hire.

11 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Wish Elston the best.  He's going to his alma mater and the move isn't that far geographically to make.  Could be a number of factors here.  He's been here since the beginning of BK era and we've endured 6 DC changes over that time period.  Maybe realized its not in the cards to be DC here and time to move on.  Dunno.

I don't believe he's irreplaceable though.  A loss to be sure because for the most part the DL was an asset and stable strength for the program during his tenure.  Our incoming top DL commits have indicated more of an interest to play for CMF than for Elston, so I don't see us losing them given their public statements toward CMF.  Presuming Heacock is the next DC, may want some input on a DL hire.

Well said. It sucks to lose him but I think Freeman still being there will be a positive for any defensive  recruits. A defensive line coach is replaceable. I have to agree with faith above that he had his shot at defensive coordinator and it was not a pretty bowl game

1 hour ago, SDIrishFan said:

Ha I’m guessing your the only person who used those keywords.

Here's one I'm a little more proud of.

image.thumb.png.aa93fed6aaebfd694d1eef93d32a1899.png

Still a bit of work to go before we're at the top for "Notre Dame Forum", however.

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Pretty shocked considering his comments around NSD about wanting to stay at ND for more reasons than football. He mentioned his family loving South Bend and his daughters wanting to go to ND. I guess I don't blame him for leaving after getting passed over every time ND needed a new DC and how the bowl game went. I wonder if there is any behind the scenes stuff between Elston and Freeman due to how the bowl game played out. 

The DL has consistently been the best position group the last few years, and Elston was a really great recruiter for ND. Hopefully Freeman is enough to hold on to Keeley and Vernon - those are two Top 100 players that ND desperately needs more of, especially Keeley. 

I wonder if Tyler Stockton gets a look. He has done really well at Ball State, but that's a big jump. Or Larry Black who was a former GA who just got hired at Vanderbilt. He was really well liked by the players when he was at ND. I think I'd go with a veteran coach, though. It's great to have some young guys on staff, but you need some veterans mixed in as well.

29 minutes ago, The Captain 19 said:

I live in Michigan. An absolute beautiful state. The UP is amazing. I can deal with sparty fans. They mean well and most are generally understandable and easy to talk to. Meatchicken fans are the worst. Absolute worst fan base in history.

Ha! Then you don't remember the 1980's Miami Fans. They would literally spit at you amongst other things.

Hopefully more information will come out regarding why he chose to leave.  He's choosing to join a program that has struggled and just last year, required their coach to take a pay cut.  Not to mention the NFL rumors.  This versus a new coach that appears to be fun and energetic. Kelly passed him over and was more difficult to work with from what is said.  Doesn't make sense unless Mich offered him crazy money.

The college football season is over, but both good and bad news continues to flow in every day around the start of the Marcus Freeman Era. Unfortunately, the news on this day might be the toughest of the offseason as it was announced long-time Assistant Coach Mike Elston will be departing for Michigan. After Brian …

The post Mike Elston, Long Loved DL Coach, Leaves Notre Dame appeared first on UHND.com - Notre Dame Football, Basketball, & Recruiting.

View the full article

17 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

I would say him going to UM confirm Harbaugh is not leaving but who knows in these crazy times. 

I was thinking that too... I mean, if Harbaugh leaves, there is a chance that he would be out of a job. I was really hoping Harbaugh left for the NFL.

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake said:

I hope Harbaugh is a Michigan lifetime coach. 

Me too. When he took over all I heard was how great he was. National champion from here until eternity. I'm telling ya. Worst fan base in history. No joke. This Hutchinson cat....I agree he's decent. Heisman runner up??? He shouldn't have been in the running. The dude from Alabama #31 makes Hutchinson look JV.  I'd take Foskey eryday twice on Sunday over that cat. 

Met up with a couple deployment buddies. Been sippin. 

• Cheers 3

On 1/13/2022 at 8:36 PM, The Captain 19 said:

Me too. When he took over all I heard was how great he was. National champion from here until eternity. I'm telling ya. Worst fan base in history. No joke. This Hutchinson cat....I agree he's decent. Heisman runner up??? He shouldn't have been in the running. The dude from Alabama #31 makes Hutchinson look JV.  I'd take Foskey eryday twice on Sunday over that cat. 

Met up with a couple deployment buddies. Been sippin. 

He's a higher profile Hoke. Harbaugh somehow looks like both his clothes and human body are made of whatever Gumby is made of. They got lucky in the weakest B10 I can remember.. no doubt in my mind we would've trucked them this year.

From the bottom of my heart, I hope that human slimjim stays there forever. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1