Guessing the future

• ND had alot of safeties come back even portaled one. Jon Heacock runs a 3 safety defense
  • ND just lost their d-line coach
  • ND might hire Jon Heacock, run a 3-3-5 with adjustments or they might hire a guy from Houston who believes in that philosophy
  • ND will allow new DC  whoever he is to hire a D-line coach

I have NO inside info

But lets see if any of my guesses come to pass.

2 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I hate the 3-3-5 and with the DL being our strength and the DBs being our weakness right now. I do not like this idea at all.

There will be many changes.  Not all of which I like either but we have a new coach in a new era! As he said the honeymoon is over.

I absolutely despise the 3-3-5. Any team with a decent O-line can shred it when running. I get its good against the spread but so is having fast Line backers. It seems like a gimmick defense for teams that cant get speed at LBs or size along the line. Not a fan if that is where this is going. 

• Heart 2

Everyone relax, Faith was just taking a stab at it! Honestly it doesn't matter to me whether they play 3 down, 4 down, 5 down, whatever. Alabama runs a 3-4 but it doesn't really matter because Will Anderson and Frosh Dallas Turner are freak pass rushers at LB and both guys can just as easily drop into coverage. I think too much is made of the "system" and more emphasis (as fans) should be paid to who we have running the system. 

For example, next year: 3rd and Long, we line up in a 3-3-5 with Foskey (Vyper), Jayson Ademiola (NT), Mills (Big End), Botelho (Rover), Kiser (MLB), Marist (WB), and 5 DBs. From that "system" they can easily rush 3, 4, or 5 with Botelho and Marist. They can bring a DB on a blitz or they can rush Kiser up the middle. So long as you have a guys like Botelho/Marist (and projecting Kollie, Snead, Burnham, and Ziegler) who are comfortable in coverage and rushing the passer, that 4th rusher doesn't matter as much on passing downs. I like a 3-4 or 3-3-5 IF you continue to bring in the caliber of player we're bringing in because it gives you a ton of athleticism on the field all at once.

All that to say I think we'll continue to see ND line up 4-3, 3-4, and 3-3-5 under Freeman. 

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1
  • Leprechaun 1

14 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I know what faith was doing and as always it’s appreciated. I was just stating I’m not a fan of the 3-3-5 and hope that’s not where we are going. With Heacock not coming it might all be moot anyways.

same here. I was not speaking to Faith directly, just giving my opinion on the 3-3-5 in general given our current roster.