Ignore function

Hey Mike, I was wondering if the ignore function could be expanded by blocking quotes of the ignored user. I feel like this is a long shot, but to give an example:

Elder06 posts: "You have ignored Elder06's posts" Options

Random user quoting him: *Entire Elder06 post* "That is the dumbest thing I have heard..."

As much as I appreciate the ignore function, with the amount of quoting people are doing for him, I see all of his posts in some threads anyway (right now, most of them). Is there a way to hide the quotes of ignored users and just see what the random user responds with?

I think a function like that could help keep the rest of the members happy (more and more people are ignoring him every day), but his posts are bypassing the ignore function with quotes from other members.

Hey @NDhoosier. That's not a default functionality, but I did some research and there may be a premium option to accomplish this. It's a 3rd party plugin, but it has some mixed reviews. 

Looks like the forum developers still show the ignored user's quotes so anybody who quotes them isn't taken out of context, which makes a lot of sense. You won't see anything new that ignored users posts, but there's context if somebody quotes him.

There is some risk with 3rd party plugins, too:

1. With forum updates, most plugins break unless the plugin author updates it
2. It would be another cost added to the site, with another renewal cost every 6 to 12 months.

If there's enough demand for it, I'll give some thought on buying / renewing it. But I typically try to avoid 3rd party plugins whenever possible (if it were an official add-on, it would be an easier decision). The premium chatbox was giving some issues behind the scenes as well, which was made aware to me when I was working through something.

Thanks a ton for the feedback. Probably something I'm going to wait on. But I'm not closing the door on this idea. I think there's a use for it, but it's hard to justify it just yet.

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Hey Mike, I was wondering if the ignore function could be expanded by blocking quotes of the ignored user. I feel like this is a long shot, but to give an example:

Elder06 posts: "You have ignored Elder06's posts" Options

Random user quoting him: *Entire Elder06 post* "That is the dumbest thing I have heard..."

As much as I appreciate the ignore function, with the amount of quoting people are doing for him, I see all of his posts in some threads anyway (right now, most of them). Is there a way to hide the quotes of ignored users and just see what the random user responds with?

I think a function like that could help keep the rest of the members happy (more and more people are ignoring him every day), but his posts are bypassing the ignore function with quotes from other members.

I feel your pain. Basically Elder is the only poster on here that nearly everyone wants to ignore and is making this forum spiral downward. It would just be easier and make everyone’s lives so much better if the mods just did the right thing and ban him for being a troll. I am all for good debate and differing opinions but it is obvious that Elder’s only motive on this board is to troll all members and hi jack every topic or discussion. There should be a “troll” clause in the TOS.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Hey @NDhoosier. That's not a default functionality, but I did some research and there may be a premium option to accomplish this. It's a 3rd party plugin, but it has some mixed reviews. 

Looks like the forum developers still show the ignored user's quotes so anybody who quotes them isn't taken out of context, which makes a lot of sense. You won't see anything new that ignored users posts, but there's context if somebody quotes him.

There is some risk with 3rd party plugins, too:

1. With forum updates, most plugins break unless the plugin author updates it
2. It would be another cost added to the site, with another renewal cost every 6 to 12 months.

If there's enough demand for it, I'll give some thought on buying / renewing it. But I typically try to avoid 3rd party plugins whenever possible (if it were an official add-on, it would be an easier decision). The premium chatbox was giving some issues behind the scenes as well, which was made aware to me when I was working through something.

Thanks a ton for the feedback. Probably something I'm going to wait on. But I'm not closing the door on this idea. I think there's a use for it, but it's hard to justify it just yet.

nah, I dont think it is worth you paying extra money or taking a risk on a 3rd party plug. Just trying to avoid Elder06 as much as I can due to him bringing the quality of discussion down.

Thanks for the reply though!

• Heart 2