Jump to content

WR options?


reneg
 Share

Recommended Posts


32 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

Would you please be able to compile a list of realistic options on guys we are actually pursuing? Thanks. 

Right now no because the ND staff is trying to compile that. This weekend and next week Bill Rees and Co will be looking. After the Fiesta Bowl things will come into real focus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Marcus Freeman also said that his priority is to keep the senior WRs for another year. I would love to keep all 3 (Austin, Davis, and Lenzy). It is definitely possible and not a crazy thought.

I think it is quite likely to keep all 3 of these guys.  I don't get the impression that the NFL is banging down the door for any of them.  It would be interest to give Rees and a new offense another year.  Of course, that depends on how they feel about Buchner throwing to them as well as their own grad transfer portal options.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Right now no because the ND staff is trying to compile that. This weekend and next week Bill Rees and Co will be looking. After the Fiesta Bowl things will come into real focus.

NDHoosier and I started with high academic profile guys and  stuff but like you said the program won't focus on next year before the bowl game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

NDHoosier and I started with high academic profile guys and  stuff but like you said the program won't focus on next year before the bowl game

Those are just the names available, I have no idea who ND is interested in or who has interest in ND. Big23Head will be the one who probably finds that stuff out.

@golson5 I assumed he would be back, but I guess he could transfer if he is not happy with the depth chart. However, I think 3 of the 4 returning is great (as long as Austin is one of them)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NDhoosier said:

Those are just the names available, I have no idea who ND is interested in or who has interest in ND. Big23Head will be the one who probably finds that stuff out.

@golson5 I assumed he would be back, but I guess he could transfer if he is not happy with the depth chart. However, I think 3 of the 4 returning is great (as long as Austin is one of them)

As @Big23Head said the coaches will probably have Bill Rees the director of scouting dive into that. Those names you found @NDhoosier are good ones, like we said ND will look at everything but i won't be suprised if its Bobo from Duke the Vanderbilt kids or someone completely different.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

As @Big23Head said the coaches will probably have Bill Rees the director of scouting dive into that. Those names you found @NDhoosier are good ones, like we said ND will look at everything but i won't be suprised if its Bobo from Duke the Vanderbilt kids or someone completely different.

 

Bobo committed to UCLA yesterday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taj Harris was Syracuse best receiver the last two years is transferring. The local Syracuse paper said he committed to Kentucky but 247 isn’t showing that. And Kentucky is picking up a couple of good wr transfers I believe already. Not sure what kind of student he is but he does have 2 years of eligibility left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not really worried about WR next year.

The year after, that's another story, but really only a depth issue. 

We may have basically everyone back next year plus Merriweather. That's not horrible by any means. And add in that Mayer is used like a WR half the time... 

in 2023, you're looking at Colzie, Styles, and likely Merriweather as your top 3. Perhaps Thomas, who we haven't really seen. Then whoever comes in. So maybe need a transfer or two in 2023 to round out depth. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at the WR situation more last night. Overall, sucks we lost some guys, but not the end of the world. Ideally you want 9 or 10 WRs on your roster. Most if not all of the seniors likely come back. That will give us 8 right there and our 2 deep from last year. And there are plenty of other options. 

The other options...

  • Tyree to slot, or just splitting time there and at RB. It would probably up his chances of the NFL if he did.
  • Move Watts back to WR (from S/LB)
  • Take a portal transfer like Harris from Syracuse, or Cam Johnson from Vandy. But really, how many guys are going to flock to ND if your entire 2 deep from last year is back??
  • Go after some guys still not signed in the 2022 class. We've already got a "big" X type, so really only need a slot or Z type. Here's the top 7 guys still available that are decent prospects we could perhaps grab before the final NSD.

 

  1. #2 / 0.9960 Evan Stewart / 6-0 / 175
    • Has ND offer, so likely eligible
    • Recently committed to TAMU, but not signed?
    • Texas kid, doubt he leaves TX or the SEC.
  2. #4 / 0.9787 Kevin Coleman / 5-11 / 170
    • Catholic HS from MO, has ND offer
    • Uncommitted but currently a Miami lean
  3. #11 CJ Williams... 
    • I know, but gotta try to win him back unless he's shut us totally down
  4. #28 / 0.9257 DJ Allen / 5-11 / 190
    • Recent decommit from TCU. Has ND offer
  5. #50 / 0.9094 Janiran Bonner / 6-1 / 193
    • Committed to GT but unsigned
    • No ND offer now, but followed by ND Football acct
  6. #58 / 0.8978 Omar Cooper / 6-1 / 185
    • Committed to IU but unsigned
    • Lawrence North product. Offer from BC, so assume he's got grades.
    • Also followed by ND Football acct
  7. #68 / 0.8938 Erriyon Knighton / 6-0 (6-3?) / 160
    • Not committed. Not sure he'll play football. 
    • World class sprinter. Holds under 18 record for 200. Beat Bolt's u18 record.
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I looked at the WR situation more last night. Overall, sucks we lost some guys, but not the end of the world. Ideally you want 9 or 10 WRs on your roster. Most if not all of the seniors likely come back. That will give us 8 right there and our 2 deep from last year. And there are plenty of other options. 

The other options...

  • Tyree to slot, or just splitting time there and at RB. It would probably up his chances of the NFL if he did.
  • Move Watts back to WR (from S/LB)
  • Take a portal transfer like Harris from Syracuse, or Cam Johnson from Vandy. But really, how many guys are going to flock to ND if your entire 2 deep from last year is back??
  • Go after some guys still not signed in the 2022 class. We've already got a "big" X type, so really only need a slot or Z type. Here's the top 7 guys still available that are decent prospects we could perhaps grab before the final NSD.

 

  1. #2 / 0.9960 Evan Stewart / 6-0 / 175
    • Has ND offer, so likely eligible
    • Recently committed to TAMU, but not signed?
    • Texas kid, doubt he leaves TX or the SEC.
  2. #4 / 0.9787 Kevin Coleman / 5-11 / 170
    • Catholic HS from MO, has ND offer
    • Uncommitted but currently a Miami lean
  3. #11 CJ Williams... 
    • I know, but gotta try to win him back unless he's shut us totally down
  4. #28 / 0.9257 DJ Allen / 5-11 / 190
    • Recent decommit from TCU. Has ND offer
  5. #50 / 0.9094 Janiran Bonner / 6-1 / 193
    • Committed to GT but unsigned
    • No ND offer now, but followed by ND Football acct
  6. #58 / 0.8978 Omar Cooper / 6-1 / 185
    • Committed to IU but unsigned
    • Lawrence North product. Offer from BC, so assume he's got grades.
    • Also followed by ND Football acct
  7. #68 / 0.8938 Erriyon Knighton / 6-0 (6-3?) / 160
    • Not committed. Not sure he'll play football. 
    • World class sprinter. Holds under 18 record for 200. Beat Bolt's u18 record.

It sounds like ND has been in touch with Allen and Cooper from that list. No idea if either is a realistic shot, although I would think Cooper would be realistic given he is an Indiana guy committed to IU.

ND needs at least one, if not two more WR commits in this class. They could be ok next year if all 4 seniors return, but they would be screwed in 2023 and beyond. The way kids are transferring now with the one-time transfer rule, ND cannot bring in a one-man class at WR.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

After watching some tape Holden Staes is practically a glorified receiver if you ask me. We are loaded at tight end with big bodies who can block. Wouldn’t be shocked if he moves to receiver. 

Yup, he's more or less a jumbo X right now at his weight. Definite tweener. Really depends what weight he show up at. 

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

It sounds like ND has been in touch with Allen and Cooper from that list. No idea if either is a realistic shot, although I would think Cooper would be realistic given he is an Indiana guy committed to IU.

ND needs at least one, if not two more WR commits in this class. They could be ok next year if all 4 seniors return, but they would be screwed in 2023 and beyond. The way kids are transferring now with the one-time transfer rule, ND cannot bring in a one-man class at WR.

I'm just not worried at this point. We'll likely have 8 on the roster. 9 is you move Watts back or Tyree over. 10 if both. And that's plenty for next year. The numbers/depth aren't an issue at all until 2023. So maybe get a transfer with a few years remaining eligibility, or add a recruit if you can. IMO, just need to get 3-4 in the 2023 class and we're more than fine. I think they really need to focus on QB in 2023, and if they get a top 10 QB, WRs will be much easier. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup, he's more or less a jumbo X right now at his weight. Definite tweener. Really depends what weight he show up at. 

I'm just not worried at this point. We'll likely have 8 on the roster. 9 is you move Watts back or Tyree over. 10 if both. And that's plenty for next year. The numbers/depth aren't an issue at all until 2023. So maybe get a transfer with a few years remaining eligibility, or add a recruit if you can. IMO, just need to get 3-4 in the 2023 class and we're more than fine. I think they really need to focus on QB in 2023, and if they get a top 10 QB, WRs will be much easier. 

Watts is starting safety why would you ever move him back ? 

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...