What happens in the bowl game/CFP?

CelticImport

What does DD want this postseason? CFP or a New Year's Six bowl game?

Do you see a team or two ahead of ND slipping in the CFP rankings?

Would the committee consider how fired up the team is with Freeman, and invite ND or is lack of a top 25 win disqualifying?

Could ND beat Georgia? 

If no CFP,

What bowl is ND going to play in?

Who will be the opponent?

What will be the result?

We need two games to go our way or we will not get in. Upsets have been happening the entire year, but they are called upsets for a reason. I believe Georgia will beat Alabama without any issue, but the other 3 are long shots.

I think Notre Dame will come out pumped up and ready to kick some butt.

I think if ND plays to the level they are capable of on BOTH sides of the ball, they can beat anyone this year.

Edited by NDhoosier

Want CFP. I think ND ends up at #5 and misses it

NY6 in that case and I have no idea where ND will end up (have not looked at options). I think that they win the NY6 though since I do not think they will play Ohio St or Alabama due to conference tie-ins for the bowls and ND should match up decently against anyone else.

Does anyone think that ND is going to just demolish whoever they play first game. Maybe not Georgia if it’s them. But I’m highly thinking ND misses out. What if ND played Ohio State. Then had that stink in there mouth and played them in 9 months. That would be crazy. 

• Cheers 1

Throughout the season I was all in on a NY6 bowl.  I felt like I would rather the kids get a good bowl against a good team that they could beat.  End this season on a positive.  However, now that we're right there, fuck it, give me the playoffs.  No OSU, no Clemson, probably no Alabama.  I want in on these playoffs.

• Like 1

I think Bama loses - but 2/3 of UM, Cincy, and Okst losing is a stretch. Not impossible,  but a stretch. So I'm guessing NY6 vs. Sparty or OK. If only michigan loses of the 3, wouldn't mind playing them as I think we handle them somewhat easily.. not sure why. 

Want, though? Gimme that Freeman CFP all day, baby. 

• Trophy 1

I would love to see this team in the CFP. 

I was writing a response on why I think it is impossible, but then I realized we just need OK St and scUM to lose and I think ND is in.

Of course, the committee might not penalize losses in championship games the same way they do regular season losses, so having scUM blown out would be helpful.

Things we do not want to see are close losses or wins by Bama and scUM. A win by OK St is game over. We also should probably be Cincy fans this weekend as well.

1 hour ago, EddieAngel said:

Jesus is an ND fan. I say Bama loses and Cincy loses and ND comes in at 4.

Oh shit this entire time (for some reason) I thought 2/3 of UM, Cincy, and Okst needed to lose (given Bama loses). But you're right, only 1 needs to lose if Bama goes down.. chalking my brain fog up to it being a long week. 

The more I think about it, I think I was hoping 2/3 lost so we didn't have to face Georgia right away. 

Who f'ing knows at this point.. I just want in. 

2 minutes ago, Rattlesnake said:

Oh shit this entire time (for some reason) I thought 2/3 of UM, Cincy, and Okst needed to lose (given Bama loses). But you're right, only 1 needs to lose if Bama goes down.. chalking my brain fog up to it being a long week. 

The more I think about it, I think I was hoping 2/3 lost so we didn't have to face Georgia right away. 

Who f'ing knows at this point.. I just want in. 

yup, just need that one upset along with Bama losing.

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Nope, 2 loss Bama falls behind Notre Dame. Doesnt matter what happens behind us, if that means Notre Dame is #3 and Bama is #4, that could be possible, but Bama with 2 losses will not be ahead of Notre Dame.

ND is 6th. If Bama loses a close one in the SEC championship to the #1 team, I could see the committee leaving them 1 spot ahead of ND (who does not have a 13th game). 

In addition to a big loss by Bama, ND absolutely needs OK St to lose.  We do NOT want Cincy to lose.

3 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

ND is 6th. If Bama loses a close one in the SEC championship to the #1 team, I could see the committee leaving them 1 spot ahead of ND (who does not have a 13th game). 

In addition to a big loss by Bama, ND absolutely needs OK St to lose.  We do NOT want Cincy to lose.

Why would we not want Cincy to lose?

Want: CFP, to be the best we need to be the best and I always want a bite at the apple for a NC. Also, sure some pundits say "ND always loses in the CFP" but so what? We get to tell recruits that we've made 3 of the last 4 and YOU are the piece we need to get over the top. Also, we have a built in goodwill excuse with Kelly leaving the team on the cusp of bowl season.

Likely: NY6, which is still incredibly exciting. Give me a good, but not great opponent and let the boys beat them up to get great momentum heading into next year.

Overall: This has been one of the most exciting, frustrating, rollercoaster seasons I can remember. This team is incredibly resilient, they could've folded up long ago and they got better and better as the weeks went on. Does this mean we win the bowl game? Not necessarily, but give our seniors a hell of a send of and let's get started on the right foot under Freeman. Hinish and MTA are two guys who truly deserve to go out on a high note, along with many of our other players who are likely gone-- Kyren and Kyle, two beautiful bastards, most of all. 

15 hours ago, Rattlesnake said:

Think Baylor could jump us with a win? 2 losses but we have no wins top 25. Could get murky.. but I'd hope they'd give us the nod. Baylor would be pissed. 

No 2 loss team, no matter who it is, should be ahead of Notre Dame.

If Cincy loses, that still helps Notre Dame. I am firmly in the camp that if we get two of these teams (Georgia, Houston, Iowa, Baylor) to win, Notre Dame is in. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Leprechaun 1