Official: Marcus Freeman Named Next Irish Head Coach

On 12/8/2021 at 11:20 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

Sorry if already posted

MARCUS FREEMAN ON CHOOSING NOTRE DAME AFTER PLAYING AT OHIO STATE: “I JUST THANK GOD THAT I DIDN'T MAKE THE WRONG DECISION TWICE”

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/12/127768/marcus-freeman-on-coaching-notre-dame-after-playing-at-ohio-state-i-just-thank-god-that-i-didnt-make-the-wrong

Not the best thing to say when you open on the road vs OSU week 1. I’m sure he didn’t mean it as a slight, but it sure looks that way.

28 minutes ago, Krsta said:

Thanks. Autonomy, wanting to protect ND from being under siege, a matching contractual opportunity and a belief in Marcus Freeman's competitive spirit kept Rees in South Bend. Wow, he was gone Monday or Tuesday and changed his mind Wednesday. Had golfed with Coach Kelly that Sunday after Stanford in San Fransisco. Crazy stuff.

• Heart 1

I’m getting sick of the social media hype. None of that shit matters, just win. Too many doors think winning public opinion on Twitter means something. It doesn’t.

The Offensive skill recruiting still sucks. The D talent & OL is great but they might lose 2 of their WR commits and I don’t hear anything about a plan to replace them. 

You guys need to snap out of this haze. The Program isn’t getting better with 3* skill talent on Offense. 

• Poo 1

17 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I’m getting sick of the social media hype. None of that shit matters, just win. Too many doors think winning public opinion on Twitter means something. It doesn’t.

The Offensive skill recruiting still sucks. The D talent & OL is great but they might lose 2 of their WR commits and I don’t hear anything about a plan to replace them. 

You guys need to snap out of this haze. The Program isn’t getting better with 3* skill talent on Offense. 

Give it a rest, it must suck to be this miserable all day every day 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Give it a rest, it must suck to be this miserable all day every day 

No. I’m tired of this non sense. It’s time to snap out of this two week long stroking session. There’s some serious gaps that need to be addressed and no matter how many social media videos you put up, they’re not getting fixed. 

• Poo 1

7 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

1) You were pretty vocal about wanting to have ND keep Kelly as HC since you seem to believe that he was good as anyone could be as a HC at ND

2) Now you are blasting ND's offensive recruiting which ultimately falls on Kelly since he hired and managed the offensive staff

3) Freeman has only had two weeks to address Kelly's offensive recruiting shortcomings for 2022. I do not believe that Freeman was involved with recruiting any offensive players before he became HC. That said, he did get Schrauth to commit - who did not seem to like Kelly.

4) I assume that Freeman is doing everything he can to keep the 2022 class intact - especially the recruits who are wavering.

5) What exactly are you expecting from Freeman? For him to find class of 2022 5 star QBs and WRs who want to sign with ND on Wednesday?

Well said

7 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

1) You were pretty vocal about wanting to have ND keep Kelly as HC since you seem to believe that he was good as anyone could be as a HC at ND

2) Now you are blasting ND's offensive recruiting which ultimately falls on Kelly since he hired and managed the offensive staff

3) Freeman has only had two weeks to address Kelly's offensive recruiting shortcomings for 2022. I do not believe that Freeman was involved with recruiting any offensive players before he became HC. That said, he did get Schrauth to commit - who did not seem to like Kelly.

4) I assume that Freeman is doing everything he can to keep the 2022 class intact - especially the recruits who are wavering.

5) What exactly are you expecting from Freeman? For him to find class of 2022 5 star QBs and WRs who want to sign with ND on Wednesday?

I think Dome Domain has found its ACross after 15 or 16 years of existence…

• Heart 1

I get what Elder06 is saying and it is frustrating.  I've always thought BK was a great coach, just a mediocre recruiter.  Just look back and our recruiting generally is in the teens for our classes, and he still makes the playoffs (or close to it).  Kind of amazing if you think about it.   Kelly and his staff would almost use excuses that ND's requirements limited our recruiting pool and they were getting the best classes they could.  

Well, then along comes Marcus Freeman.  Almost instantly we are in the mix for top recruits, and this is the first year where our defensive recruits are dramatically better (maybe you could include last year somewhat).  So I think Marcus has dispelled with the notion that ND can't recruit the top kids (at least so far).  

So I think we all would like the same recruiting energy on offense, and it looks like it is happening -- Last two OL classes were the best in years, big time WRs this year (still no top QBs).  But it will take time.  These new kids need to progress thru the system for a few years.  We need 3-4 classes like this in a row (so this means top 5, not 9-18 like BK normally does).

• Leprechaun 1

9 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Preach it from the mountain top!!!!

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, nd1989 said:

I get what Elder06 is saying and it is frustrating.  I've always thought BK was a great coach, just a mediocre recruiter.  Just look back and our recruiting generally is in the teens for our classes, and he still makes the playoffs (or close to it).  Kind of amazing if you think about it.   Kelly and his staff would almost use excuses that ND's requirements limited our recruiting pool and they were getting the best classes they could.  

Well, then along comes Marcus Freeman.  Almost instantly we are in the mix for top recruits, and this is the first year where our defensive recruits are dramatically better (maybe you could include last year somewhat).  So I think Marcus has dispelled with the notion that ND can't recruit the top kids (at least so far).  

So I think we all would like the same recruiting energy on offense, and it looks like it is happening -- Last two OL classes were the best in years, big time WRs this year (still no top QBs).  But it will take time.  These new kids need to progress thru the system for a few years.  We need 3-4 classes like this in a row (so this means top 5, not 9-18 like BK normally does).

The limits on recruiting are very real. Freeman has done an excellent job getting the elite players that ND can accept. 

I don’t think it’s realistic to think ND can haul in 3-4 straight Top 5 classes. I do think they should be comfortably in the Top 10. 

14 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Explain to me why Offensive Recruiting is his fault but he gets no credit for Defensive recruiting.

I question Freeman for being so adamant about keeping Rees. As I’ve said in the Recruiting forum, Rees is a bad recruiter. Settling for Angeli alone should’ve made him expendable. I think ND should’ve aimed higher and gone after Herman for OC.

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Explain to me why Offensive Recruiting is his fault but he gets no credit for Defensive recruiting.

I question Freeman for being so adamant about keeping Rees. As I’ve said in the Recruiting forum, Rees is a bad recruiter. Settling for Angeli alone should’ve made him expendable. I think ND should’ve aimed higher and gone after Herman for OC.

My point is that Kelly gets credit and blame for all recruits while Freeman only gets credit and blame for defensive ones since he was not concerned with recruiting for offense until two weeks ago.

So, if offensive recruiting is being criticized, then Kelly and Rees get the blame but not Freeman. Rees gets somewhat of a pass since he was being managed by Kelly who was not as involved as he could have been and who did not have the highest of expectations for his assistants.

If offensive recruiting is lacking going forward, then it will be on Freeman and Rees but ultimately on Freeman since he either "hired" Rees or took the HC job knowing that he had to accept Rees as OC. My gut feeling is that Freeman will not let anyone coast with regards to recruiting.

2 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

I can't listen to you spout off about Rees being a bad recruiter anymore.  This offensive class is a very good one.  He is the reason schrauth, merriweather, and williams are in this class.  He is the reason Diggs is sticking around for now.  Our offensive skill players are good enough to win a title between Colzie, Styles, Merriweather, Williams, the backs, and the TE's.  What evidence do you have that Rees isn't doing anything about the Wr's wavering?  I have heard that Williams is much closer to staying now that he talked with Rees and Freeman.  I have also heard that he reached back out to Nick Anderson.  

Can his QB recruiting get better?  sure.  Should we write off Angelli already?  Absolutely not.  You never know how recruits are going to pan out.  Just because you say he isn't going to be good enough, doesn't make it so.  Also, Rees is still learning.  Has he made some mistakes?  sure.  He is young and is only going to get better.   He now has much more recruiting help and support from his head coach.   I for one love the upside of Tommy Rees as a recruiter and play caller.     

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I recommend the ignore function 

• Heart 2

42 minutes ago, Domers23 said:

I can't listen to you spout off about Rees being a bad recruiter anymore.  This offensive class is a very good one.  He is the reason schrauth, merriweather, and williams are in this class.  He is the reason Diggs is sticking around for now.  Our offensive skill players are good enough to win a title between Colzie, Styles, Merriweather, Williams, the backs, and the TE's.  What evidence do you have that Rees isn't doing anything about the Wr's wavering?  I have heard that Williams is much closer to staying now that he talked with Rees and Freeman.  I have also heard that he reached back out to Nick Anderson.  

Can his QB recruiting get better?  sure.  Should we write off Angelli already?  Absolutely not.  You never know how recruits are going to pan out.  Just because you say he isn't going to be good enough, doesn't make it so.  Also, Rees is still learning.  Has he made some mistakes?  sure.  He is young and is only going to get better.   He now has much more recruiting help and support from his head coach.   I for one love the upside of Tommy Rees as a recruiter and play caller.     

He’s not a good recruiter. You don’t take a kid who can’t even complete 60% of his passes in HS and who in his team’s biggest games just handed the ball off. He’s a MAC/Low Big 10 level player. He’d be a pretty good get for Chuck Martin at Miami, but he has no business being ND’s only QB in this class.

• Poo 1