Official: Marcus Freeman Named Next Irish Head Coach

SpeedsterX

10 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Again that is your opinion which is fine. The players, former players, recruits, and the AD see it differently. If you are just saying whats on a piece of paper fine Fickell has a better "resume". If you are saying who is more qualified to be the next head coach the list I gave all pretty unanimously believed it was Freeman. 

If the admin really thought Fickell was the better long term option and believed he was better qualified they would have waited. They didn't because many believe Freeman's long term trajectory is much higher than Fickell or almost any other coach. He has been talked about recruiting wise as being on the level of Pete Carrol and Urban Meyer. There are few who have ever come close to those 2 in modern football. 

It's a pretty objective observation to say Freeman is the best thing for stabilities sake.

It's a pretty objective statement to say Fickell's resume is easily better. FIckell's name was, and continues to be, linked with top HC jobs. 

It's a pretty subjective thing to say that one's ceiling is higher than the others. Fickell has a much longer history of success though. Freeman's only the last few years at a lower level. 

Resume is only a part of ND's equation. Stability was a huge factor. And it's not a dig on Freeman to say his resume is less than Fickell's.

Like I said, I like the hire. And I'm stoked about the recruiting potential. I'm just not going to sunshine pump and defy the obvious. I also liked the Rees hire when a lot of folks didn't. I like the fact we have two young guns leading the team.

• Like 1

Just now, OKelleyIrish said:

It's a pretty objective observation to say Freeman is the best thing for stabilities sake.

It's a pretty objective statement to say Fickell's resume is easily better. FIckell's name was, and continues to be, linked with top HC jobs. 

It's a pretty subjective thing to say that one's ceiling is higher than the others. Fickell has a much longer history of success though. Freeman's only the last few years at a lower level. 

Resume is only a part of ND's equation. Stability was a huge factor. And it's not a dig on Freeman to say his resume is less than Fickell's.

Like I said, I like the hire. And I'm stoked about the recruiting potential. I'm just not going to sunshine pump and defy the obvious. I also liked the Rees hire when a lot of folks didn't. I like the fact we have two young guns leading the team.

there are undeniable long range questions but I think this was more about right now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

If this year had a 6-6 or 8-4 record I think Jack would of went outside, maybe even for a bigger name than Fickle. But Jack clearly doesn't feel the program is broken.

Perhaps. But I think it hinged also on how the D improved over the year, how Freeman succeeded recruited, and how popular Freeman is with the kids. Had the O tanked, and the D still performed well, I think it's possible Freeman would have still got the job. Tommy however might have ended up at LSU though.

Since both did well, pretty easy decision IMO. If it doesn't work out, they can move on. 

I'm not sure there's really any bigger/better name out there than Fickell right now. I don't see Campbell as bigger/better. IMO, he's overrated. Stoops, nope. Meyer would not even get a call. Perhaps a surprise move like an NFL guy coming here, but things are rather limited IMO. 

All the big names, and in-demand up and comers are taken, or extended. 

I also think the looming fear of Fickell back to OSU down the road was a factor. 

22 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I understand but this should be a long term decision. If that means losing some of your ‘22 class, that’s a hit you take. 

Aren't you the person who said that might not be worth the disruption that a new coach can bring?

While I think there is less risk in terms of a higher floor for the ND program with Fickell, from a program continuity perspective, Freeman seems to caused barely a ripple for the negative so far. I also think that Freeman's ceiling for RECRUITING is higher than Fickell's. How Freeman can handle the rest of the HC duties is yet to be seen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

If this year had a 6-6 or 8-4 record I think Jack would of went outside, maybe even for a bigger name than Fickle. But Jake clearly doesn't feel the program is broken.

Right.  If this was a year where we'd lost more games, arguably we probably would be looking at a vigorous search.  But for continuity with a possible playoff spot possible and to keep things rolling with recruiting this was an easier hire to make with the key pieces of the staff retained who got us here.  I think assurances needed to be made and those pieces needed to fall into place for this to happen like it did.  I think Mick Assaf somewhat alluded to this.

36 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Of course, this is all objective. I am just going by the people who know this stuff, have lived it, and jobs depend on it rather than peoples opinions on internet message boards. 

Nothing I’ve stated is my personal opinion. It’s all the opinions of people that know about this stuff and/or are intimately involved with the university and I will default to them. Minus Tim Prister that dude is an idiot. 🤣

PS my opinions on Kelly are my own though are shared by many.

5 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Right.  If this was a year where we'd lost more games, arguably we probably would be looking at a vigorous search.  But for continuity with a possible playoff spot possible and to keep things rolling with recruiting this was an easier hire to make with the key pieces of the staff retained who got us here.  I think assurances needed to be made and those pieces needed to fall into place for this to happen like it did.  I think Mick Assaf somewhat alluded to this.

I think Kelly was won over so quickly he even surprised his own staff who weren't as excited about moving 1000 miles  as he was. He was a CEO and by all accounts not a super active recruiter. So he didn't feel super connected to the team. Assistants on the other hand MUST recruit. They MUST know the players. I feel STRONGLY the leader of the assistants were Matt Balis, Tommy Rees, and of course Marcus Freeman. Marcus probably being promised the world, JUST LAST YEAR. by Brian Kelly NOT TO GO TO LSU, did the VERY THING he told Marcus NOT TO DO. I commend Marcus if he and he seems to have led a silent staff rebellion. 

8 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I think Kelly was won over so quickly he even surprised his own staff who weren't as excited about moving 1000 miles  as he was. He was a CEO and by all accounts not a super active recruiter. So he didn't feel super connected to the team. Assistants on the other hand MUST recruit. They MUST know the players. I feel STRONGLY the leader of the assistants were Matt Balis, Tommy Rees, and of course Marcus Freeman. Marcus probably being promised the world, JUST LAST YEAR. by Brian Kelly NOT TO GO TO LSU, did the VERY THING he told Marcus NOT TO DO. I commend Marcus if he and he seems to have led a silent staff rebellion. 

There is an eerily similar story to what happened to Saban when he went to LSU. The story goes he sent a private jet to East Lansing and any assistant that wanted to join him could get on and come down. It went back to Baton Rouge empty. I hope (and don’t think) this situation turns out the same way that one did. 😇

Edited by ndfanatic78

36 minutes ago, DamshaBua said:

Last night, this was described as done. Now, he is "favored" or "leading candidate." What is the latest? 

I was reading on FB that the holdup is Jenkins being out of town for a visit to The Vatican. If he were in town, the ink would be dry by now. Consider it hearsay but it makes sense. 

Just now, Rocketsan said:

According to you, and….?

Tommy's back on the road already. If they were still searching the new coach gets to hire his offensive coordinator, his strength coach, his DC, none of those guys would be saying they are Retained already. The Head Coach is in South Bend and Fickell is still coaching the bearcats this weekend.

46 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Aren't you the person who said that might not be worth the disruption that a new coach can bring?

While I think there is less risk in terms of a higher floor for the ND program with Fickell, from a program continuity perspective, Freeman seems to caused barely a ripple for the negative so far. I also think that Freeman's ceiling for RECRUITING is higher than Fickell's. How Freeman can handle the rest of the HC duties is yet to be seen

Agreed there is some risk. But as you say the reward, wow. 

Just now, FaithInIrishForever said:

Agreed there is some risk. But as you say the reward, wow. 

Risk with everything Faith, agree 100%. It’s also a risk to lose your entire staff and bring in an entirely new one. It’s a risk with a first time coach. But you now have continuity, you have a lot of the staff remaining in place, etc. which really lessens the risk involved.

2 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Risk with everything Faith, agree 100%. It’s also a risk to lose your entire staff and bring in an entirely new one. It’s a risk with a first time coach. But you now have continuity, you have a lot of the staff remaining in place, etc. which really lessens the risk involved.

Not to mention the defense that ALREADY posted a points per game number lower than Clarke Leas last year.