ND assistant coach / staff tracker

OKelleyIrish

2 minutes ago, ColinKSU said:

That decision throws everything Marcus said about his vision for the program into question. If you can’t make the decision to yank Del when literally everything says he can’t do the job, then how am I going to believe anything you’ve said?

thats the position group I'm nervous about for sure. I'd rather a guy that stands out then just fits in.

1 hour ago, ColinKSU said:

That decision throws everything Marcus said about his vision for the program into question. If you can’t make the decision to yank Del when literally everything says he can’t do the job, then how am I going to believe anything you’ve said?

I am going to wait until after the bowl game and see if he makes a move. He has supposedly reached out to Hartline, so he is definitely thinking of it.

ALSO, it has been said that there WILL BE a new OL coach next year (all of the insiders are 100% confident in saying that), but they are keeping Quinn through the bowl game, so there is still a decent chance that Del is "let go" after the bowl game as well.

Edited by NDhoosier

Yeah, I look at the Del thing like a homicide murder and the police chief isn’t giving any details about it. Maybe it’s a matter of time and they don’t want to mess up the continuity of the staff just yet before a bowl game. Sometimes it’s good to just be quiet. 

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Yeah, I look at the Del thing like a homicide murder and the police chief isn’t giving any details about it. Maybe it’s a matter of time and they don’t want to mess up the continuity of the staff just yet before a bowl game. Sometimes it’s good to just be quiet. 

agreed, and I love the analogy.

In our city, every time there is a shooting, our Public Information Officer will put out a line akin to "there does not appear to be any danger to the public." Citizens always go crazy about it saying there is a shooter on the loose and ask about why the police cant get any suspects. What they do not understand is that when there is a line similar to that mentioned, the police do have a suspect(s) and/or it is clearly a targeted hit (Drug rip). My fellow officers here are very familiar with knowing about "persons of interest" for shootings well before it is released to the public.

Quinn will be gone after the bowl game (and likely replaced by Harry Heistand)
There is a still a good chance Del Alexander is gone after the bowl game.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ColinKSU said:

Every coaching decision he has made so far has been the correct one.   If he lands Heistand that will be another home run. 

Keeping Del will be a big mistake. But if he hits on 9 of the 10 coaches Im not going to kill the guy

16 hours ago, golson5 said:

Every coaching decision he has made so far has been the correct one.   If he lands Heistand that will be another home run. 

Keeping Del will be a big mistake. But if he hits on 9 of the 10 coaches Im not going to kill the guy

I've seen employees turn a 180 with different management. So perhaps Del might flourish under Freeman

Hearing that Hiestand was a bit difficult to have around.  The language used on the practice field and meeting rooms was something that made some around the program uncomfortable.  Also, apparently, he was personally abusive to some players.  Kind of mixed feedback from past players regarding his leadership.  Hiestand's recruiting classes were not always as good as Quinn's.  Definitely not saying Quinn should be retained.  

All in all, I would say I would consider Hiestand as a short term OL coach with an assistant brought in (like Watts) to learn from him and be ready to take over in a year or two.  My first choice would be to poach a current highly respected OL coach from elsewhere.

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

I think there's a chance that Ryan Day is a HC candidate for an NFL job once the bowl game is over.  IF that were to happen, it might open up Alford and Hartline to ND.  Longshot, I know.  

I’d be happy just to see Ohio St take that hit.

4 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

Hearing that Hiestand was a bit difficult to have around.  The language used on the practice field and meeting rooms was something that made some around the program uncomfortable.  Also, apparently, he was personally abusive to some players.  Kind of mixed feedback from past players regarding his leadership.  Hiestand's recruiting classes were not always as good as Quinn's.  Definitely not saying Quinn should be retained.  

All in all, I would say I would consider Hiestand as a short term OL coach with an assistant brought in (like Watts) to learn from him and be ready to take over in a year or two.  My first choice would be to poach a current highly respected OL coach from elsewhere.

While some say he didn't recruit, he landed some highly rated OLs. I don't see "bad" classes when I look back at his OL hauls, compared to before Harry... 

He also developed better than any OL coach at ND I can remember.

If him being old school, with some throw back language, puts some guys off, I'm happy not to get those guys. The successful guys he put into the NFL have raved about him. Those that got their feelings hurt.... sorry, but not sorry. 

• Heart 2

On 12/24/2021 at 6:02 AM, coltssb said:

Yeah, I think it a likely possibility that Quinn and Del are staying on only through the bowl game. Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t new staff need to go through that cumbersome vetting process before their hiring is confirmed? No reason to shove these guys out the door just before the bowl game if their replacements are not on board yet. There’s a right way to do things and it’s probably not following the knee jerk reactions of fans posting on message boards. 🤣🤣🤣

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

16 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

While some say he didn't recruit, he landed some highly rated OLs. I don't see "bad" classes when I look back at his OL hauls, compared to before Harry... 

If him being old school, with some throw back language, puts some guys off, I'm happy not to get those guys. The successful guys he put into the NFL have raved about him. Those that got their feelings hurt.... sorry, but not sorry. 

Seriously.  When the hell did football players get so damn soft?  My goodness.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Those poor guys they are probably going to be scared for life….

• Heart 1

For all the keyboard warriors preaching toughness, where has any ND OL on the roster or potential recruit say that a potential OL Coaching Hire would turn them off due to his brass nature? Oh right, it hasn't and you're all just being weirdos talking about how tough everyone was in your day. Maybe just let ND hire Heistand and have a 5* recruit turn down ND because Heistand turned him off because he was too tough before you all go into glory days mode. 

• Flames 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, golson5 said:

I love the enthusiasm.

But, really, only time will tell if anyone at ND has made the correct coaching decision(s).  I'm hoping yes, as we all are.  

4 hours ago, Pregame said:

For all the keyboard warriors preaching toughness, where has any ND OL on the roster or potential recruit say that a potential OL Coaching Hire would turn them off due to his brass nature? Oh right, it hasn't and you're all just being weirdos talking about how tough everyone was in your day. Maybe just let ND hire Heistand and have a 5* recruit turn down ND because Heistand turned him off because he was too tough before you all go into glory days mode. 

In my day we used to eat nails and crap ice cream.  😎

21 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

In my day we used to eat nails and crap ice cream.  😎

In my day we walked uphill both ways to school in the driving snowstorm with no shoes on. More realistically, I remember having dial up internet and AOL, almost worse than eating nails. 

• Mike changed the title to Notre Dame Reportedly Set to Bring Back Harry Hiestand as OL Coach