ND assistant coach / staff tracker

OKelleyIrish

2 minutes ago, coltssb said:

My goal now would be get Cutcliff for qb coach and Hiestand(I guess) as the o-line coach. Maybe Chris Watt?  But that is a wow factor there. Hiestand will bring in 5 Star olines. Cutcliff will bring in close to 5 star qb’s or at least coach them up. 

did you steal this idea from my post in another thread. 🤣 I couldn't agree more.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, coltssb said:

My goal now would be get Cutcliff for qb coach and Hiestand(I guess) as the o-line coach. Maybe Chris Watt?  But that is a wow factor there. Hiestand will bring in 5 Star olines. Cutcliff will bring in close to 5 star qb’s or at least coach them up. 

Yes to Watt, no to Cut

48 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

did you steal this idea from my post in another thread. 🤣 I couldn't agree more.

Hey, some of the most famous people still from others!  But yes, I did!  I couldn’t remember who wrote what right now. So many threads and comments!  But I give you your due!!  
I haven’t heard anything about Chris Watt. Just remember he was here for a year and some secret talk among o-linemen about how it was nice having someone who has played the game. 

• Trophy 1

3 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Hey, some of the most famous people still from others!  But yes, I did!  I couldn’t remember who wrote what right now. So many threads and comments!  But I give you your due!!  
I haven’t heard anything about Chris Watt. Just remember he was here for a year and some secret talk among o-linemen about how it was nice having someone who has played the game. 

Chris Watt would be awesome. I hear the same things that he was just amazing with the players and excelled at communicating.

5 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Perhaps Cutt as an analyst? That would be a Saban like move

Well I truly believe we need a top notch QB coach. The OC shouldn't be doing it. They have to many other responsibilities to handle and the QB coach needs to be focused on teaching the QB how to read defenses, work on mechanics, and mentally prepare. I just don't think an OC has the time to truly dedicate to a QB. With Cutt you would get that and a great mentor. I also think top QB's would jump at the chance to have him as their position coach. He's most likely not getting another Head Coaching gig or even OC. Make him an offer and see what happens

Edited by ndfanatic78

10 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

This says a lot about BK and it’s not good. 

I don't read that at all... there are pretty practical reasons for what's occurring. 

9 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

That has been rolling around in my empty head as well. BK pretty much struck out on taking anyone with him. I don't know if that says he is an a**hole or that they just love the program but in the end the fact that he took a very public run at Rees and Freeman and struck out is bad visibility. Rees especially. 

I think what happened is pretty predictable. 

Rees - staying put is a much better opportunity. Aside from flexing the LSU offer and getting a nice raise from ND, he is 100% the master of the ND offense now. That wasn't the case when BK was here, and would not be if he went to LSU. He's basically driving the O bus now all by his lonesome. That's a huge deal for a 29 year old. 

Freeman - why wouldn't he stay for a lightening fast promotion at a top 10 team only one year after coming to ND, and only 5 years after coaching at a mediocre PU. 

To me, both are clear no-brainers. And all the other guys will likely get bumps in title or $. And it's likely BK didn't want several of the assistants. 

2 hours ago, Rattlesnake said:

At this point, Kelly might be able to get BVG to join him in Baton Rouge.

Nah... he's now got an unlimited open checkbook for assistants. Bama and LSU go deep on assistant spending. And I'm sure that was part of LSU's pitch to Kelly. Rees and Freeman are both rising stars in CFB, and were likely the only two BK really wanted. Taylor and Elston, probably a little, but LSU/BK will have zero problem finding a top notch RB and DL coach. Elston likely gets the DC bump, but not sure he even wants it. And Elston is a MW guys, and there's been a ton of chatter over the years he does not want to leave ND or the MW regardless of opportunity. 

And keep in mind, LSU had no problem making Aranda the highest paid assistant in college football just two years ago. BK can go on a shopping spree with daddy's credit card, and not have to call home for permission. 

2 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Chris Watt would be awesome. I hear the same things that he was just amazing with the players and excelled at communicating.

If not Harry, definitely would love a nasty x-ND OL.... 

8 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

There is a lot of chatter about Chris Watt being the Oline coach. I wouldnt be upset with that. Maybe have Harry on as an analyst.

Hmm. I actually haven’t heard that and just threw the name out there. I feel tickled pink with just a random name drop. 

• Like 1

Just a reminder... on Watt. He was a GA for two years before getting a promo. If he was liked, no reason to think he wouldn't be an option if Quinn is out. I'll try to look and see what Tulane's OL looks like this year compared to last.

As a coach:
  • Notre Dame (2019–2020)
    Graduate assistant
  • Tulane (2021–present)
    Offensive line coach

1 hour ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Why no to Cutt? As a QB coach I can't think of a better name in the past 20 years, who isn't a current head coach or OC. He would be an amazing mentor for both Reese and Freeman.

Id love Cutt as an analyst. Just worry that we have such a young and energy staff whether this would be a square peg/round hole.  Just would feel odd to me. 

• Like 1

Anyone have an idea? There was an earlier rumor that he would follow Kelly.

Meanwhile, right in South Bend:

Harry Hiestand - Notre Dame (2012–2017) Offensive line coach

Hiestand has developed a number of current NFL offensive linemen with the Fighting Irish, including: 

Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys offensive guard  Chris Watt, Former New Orleans Saints offensive guard

Ronnie Stanley, Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle  Nick Martin, Houston Texans offensive guard

Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts offensive guard  Mike McGlinchey, San Francisco 49ers offensive tackle

Some say that he doesn't like to recruit - the fact that he helped attract and developed the 6 fellows above tells me that that is not an issue.

#HireHarry

Hearing Hiestand is happy being retired.  Maybe would come out of retirement for an NFL job.  Apparently he despised recruiting.  Being in the area and having good feelings about ND, I think he could be consulted if a relatively young OL coach like Watt was hired.  

Bottom line, I trust Freeman and Rees to make the right decisions.  

Highly doubt Cut would come. Not sure Rees needs a persona that big looming over him either. 

Harry, if he doesn't want to recruit, no worries. Make him and assistant/analyst and hire someone young with a nasty demeanor that wants to recruit. 

Really interested in who takes the STs job if Polian is gone. 

Also, wonder if Jaylon Smith would be interested in coming for an entry level job. With Freeman's hands a lot fuller, we need some help at LB.

• Mike changed the title to Notre Dame Reportedly Set to Bring Back Harry Hiestand as OL Coach