ND assistant coach / staff tracker

2 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

As far  as McNulty's replacement, rumors are that  Kevin Wright  TE coach at Indiana,  is on the radar. He came to  Indiana in 2020, but before that he was the head coach at IMG Academy. His roots are in Indiana where he won state championships with multiple schools.

He not only has experience working with elite recruits from his time at IMG, but his long career running successful high school programs has shown he knows how to help build a great culture. He could be a home run hire with his IMG ties!

That IMG connection would be HUGE

• Heart 2

So what’s left to fill?  DC, LB, and TE right?

Wont hear anything about a DC until after the SB probably. TE will be a take time since that departure isfresh.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the LB coach search. 

So far very pleased with the staff hires.  Freeman’s could be building a beast of a team on the recruiting trail. 

2 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

So what’s left to fill?  DC, LB, and TE right?

Wont hear anything about a DC until after the SB probably. TE will be a take time since that departure isfresh.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the LB coach search. 

So far very pleased with the staff hires.  Freeman’s could be building a beast of a team on the recruiting trail. 

Perhaps if Golden is the choice for DC, he will also coach linebackers? He is, after all, currently the linebacker coach for the Bengals.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Haven't had a chance to check it out but why did he leave the Chiefs and go to IU?

Two thoughts: 1) I heard that he wanted to become a college head coach and/or 2) his boys were getting to be college aged and he wanted to be at a school where they could play.

• Heart 2

I am glad that Freeman appears to be hiring solid (perhaps inexperienced in some cases) ACs. There does not yet seem to someone like a Charley Molnar on his staff.

Also, other than HH, all new staff seemed to have played at least Div I football and most have time in the NFL as well. Even HH coached in the NFL which gives him some "street cred"

Edited by jbrown_9999

19 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I am glad that Freeman appears to be hiring solid (perhaps inexperienced in some cases) ACs. There does not yet seem to someone like a Charley Molnar on his staff.

Also, other than HH, all new staff seemed to have played at least Div I football and most have time in the NFL as well. Even HH coached in the NFL which gives him some "street cred"

He definitely seems to be go after ex-players who can relate well to the demands of being a student athlete which is great for recruiting. That and the NFL experience for the staff will go far. You would figure with NFL experience that they can at least handle coaching their positions. With that in hand hopefully the only thing Freeman would possibly have to coach them up on is their recruiting acumen but most of these guys are already known for being solid recruiters. 

On another note. If I were Tommy I would change my coaching position to TE and bring in a top of the line QB coach. I have always believed you need a dedicated QB coach because of the time it demands working on all the aspects of that position. Doing that and game planning takes away from one of those responsibilities. Just an opinion.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Two thoughts: 1) I heard that he wanted to become a college head coach and/or 2) his boys were getting to be college aged and he wanted to be at a school where they could play.

He also appeared to pick up an Asst HC title, which I'm sure didn't hurt.

2 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I know you guys didn't want see my excuse of an interim staff. But no one can tell me that 100 percent of the 7 departed coaches' attention was on the bowl game.

I know that game will go on Freeman's win/loss record, but I will always charge it to Kelly.

I agree with you Faith... to an extent. It was a makeshift staff that had their minds in a bunch of different places. However, the team came out super strong (which has been an issue this past decade against top teams), but they could not make half-time adjustments. While I am disappointed in the result of the bowl game, there were a multitude of valid reasons why it could have went terribly.

3 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I agree with you Faith... to an extent. It was a makeshift staff that had their minds in a bunch of different places. However, the team came out super strong (which has been an issue this past decade against top teams), but they could not make half-time adjustments. While I am disappointed in the result of the bowl game, there were a multitude of valid reasons why it could have went terribly.

No matter what, ND doesn't get to skip steps. Hopefully Freeman took something from the game he can use for next season. I hope the lesson its never ok to throw the ball 68 times. After he said in the pregame interview ND has to run the ball.

Now hopefully he has the coaches and the time to reflect on that pregame interview and make it happen.

• Heart 1