ND assistant coach / staff tracker

OKelleyIrish

7 minutes ago, Jburkdd12 said:

Yes sir! Elston will be recruiting them tonight to Michigan will he succeed hope not. Elston was a good man and will be missed. 

I always wonder how that works. The assumption was he was selling ND, the team, the 40 year decision. Etc. why ND is the absolute best place for them.

Then you change schools and say the exact same thing about another school?

Unless Elston was only selling Elston, I have no idea how you look a kid in the face and saying your new schooL is the best choice.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

I always wonder how that works. The assumption was he was selling ND, the team, the 40 year decision. Etc. why ND is the absolute best place for them.

Then you change schools and say the exact same thing about another school?

Unless Elston was only selling Elston, I have no idea how you look a kid in the face and saying your new schooL is the best choice.

Im sure Freeman is going to bring that up himself.

Elston was a fine recruiter but had a better eye for talent and ability to develop that talent. Those are very valuable traits, especially at Northern schools not located in Columbus, Ohio. Elston seemed like a good guy, it sucks that he's leaving, but he's at Michigan now so he can go f*ck himself along with the rest of that sh*thole program (kidding, at least about Elston). 

However, Freeman has us fishing in different ponds as evidenced by immediately upgrading LB recruiting and then bringing in Keeley, Vernon, Shuler, Bowen, Rhett, and Bowen. I'm not expecting a recruiting drop off due to the loss of Elston in the mid-long term. We may see some hiccups in the short-term, especially in recruiting operations (Elston was Recruiting Coordinator), but even those hiccups can be overcome because we have plenty of time to make hires, re-organize, and keep our current DL commits assured that ND is the best place for them. If Keeley or Vernon leave, they leave, but I think recruiting as a whole will continue to improve and new blood at DC and DL can even improve recruiting. 

Edited by Pregame
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, Synoptico said:

Wouldnt Elston have to get as much credit for the 2023 kids who were committed prior to Freeman being HC

Freeman as DC was heavily involved in their recruitment. Do you really think that Lea and Elston would have landed both of them?

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Freeman as DC was heavily involved in their recruitment. Do you really think that Lea and Elston would have landed both of them?

Fair, im just saying that to completely discount Elston in their recruitment isnt fair either. 

Scruggs at DL coach?  Anyone hear anything?  Just saw a GIF from Matt Freeman on Twitter showing Cincy DL dancing....

EDIT:  Saw it is Washington, also used to be at Cincy.  Would be a great hire.  Great recruiter!

Edited by nd1989

1 hour ago, nd1989 said:

Scruggs at DL coach?  Anyone hear anything?  Just saw a GIF from Matt Freeman on Twitter showing Cincy DL dancing....

EDIT:  Saw it is Washington, also used to be at Cincy.  Would be a great hire.  Great recruiter!

That an nfl gif of Cincinnati.  They have a playoff game today

Swarbrick has got to decide if and to what extent he wants ND football to be a consistent championship contender.  If he's committed to that, he's gonna need to step up and increase the pay for the assistant coaches and even expand the staff.  Feels like the team is getting close.  Just need a push to put them into the same level as the top 5 perennial schools each year.  

• Heart 3
  • Leprechaun 1

14 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Swarbrick has got to decide if and to what extent he wants ND football to be a consistent championship contender.  If he's committed to that, he's gonna need to step up and increase the pay for the assistant coaches and even expand the staff.  Feels like the team is getting close.  Just need a push to put them into the same level as the top 5 perennial schools each year.  

He’s also going to have to get in the NIL game. Big time. That train isn’t slowing down unless it gets regulated by the NCAA

• Leprechaun 1

30 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

He’s also going to have to get in the NIL game. Big time. That train isn’t slowing down unless it gets regulated by the NCAA

lets all pray that it does get regulated... Having said that, I am sure Notre Dame could easily compete if they wanted to.

11 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Don’t disagree at all but it would have been nice if they could have kept some continuity for Freeman’s first season. 

They did that for signing day… now let these guys go who isn’t a DAWg recruiter 

• Leprechaun 1

8 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

he might not be motivated by money. He might want to    a coordinator

The only thing that I'm skeptical of for Taylor in this situation is wheather Louisville will be keeping the HC after this coming season, his seat is definitely warm. But I'm sure coach Taylor is itching to move up in the ranks, he's got both NFL and CFB experience as a position coach.