ND assistant coach / staff tracker

OKelleyIrish

Does it really matter? I don’t mean that to sound negative, what I mean is the rule changes related to special teams have made it an almost non-factor in games anymore. 

Short of having a dynamic returner, good kickers or in-game situational decisions (which are probably made by the head coach), how much effect does the ST coach have? 

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

jbrown_9999 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

13 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Why is he a great hire? Sincere question as I do not know anything about this guy other than he coached at Cincinnati handling special teams and the sniper LB position. I hope he is awesome but as of now doesn't seem like someone that really moves the dial much. Please school me. lol

Cincinnati ST Stats

The Bearcats blocked an incredible six punts/kicks (three punts, three placekicks) in 2021, tying them with Old Dominion for the most in the country. Cincinnati also was third nationally in punt coverage after allowing just 26 yards on 17 punt returns (1.53-yard average). The Bearcats were 24th in kick coverage (18.0), 31st in punt returns (10.6), and 36th in kick returns (23.0).

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Irish-Illustrated-Insight-Special-Teams-Coordinator-Brian-Mason-179802799/

Plus he was recruiting coordinator as a coach prior to Chad Bowen taking that role over as a non-coaching position

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

4 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Why is he a great hire? Sincere question as I do not know anything about this guy other than he coached at Cincinnati handling special teams and the sniper LB position. I hope he is awesome but as of now doesn't seem like someone that really moves the dial much. Please school me. lol

In 2021, Cincinnati blocked a ridiculous six kicks – three punts and three field goal attempts. That tied for the most in the country.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tailgate Approved said:

I think that Cincinnati recruiting better than their peers had more to do with their impressive special teams play than the coaching. However, it sounds like Mason was an asset in recruiting, so I am pleased either way.

ND had better talent than most of the teams they played but did not finish as high on special teams as Cincinnati. So coaching does come into play as well as talent. Certain schools (Virginia Tech when Beamer was coach for example) put more thought ,talent, and/or time into special teams and out perform as a result.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 1

8 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

ND had better talent than most of the teams they played but did not finish as high on special teams as Cincinnati. So coaching does come into play as well as talent. Certain schools (Virginia Tech when Beamer was coach for example) put more thought ,talent, and/or time into special teams and out perform as a result.

True. Some teams also put their star players on special teams, and others use the bottom of their roster. Some are also more aggressive while others stay conservative (likely a head coach's decision..?).

I hope Mason turns ST into a true strength. Whether it's due to coaching, mindset/strategy (e.g., be more aggressive), or recruiting is irrelevant from my perspective. I look forward to it, and I'm hopeful for more home run hires.

According to numerous reports, Notre Dame is set to bring back Harry Hiestand as offensive line coach to replace Jeff Quinn, who was one of two coaches not retained by Marcus Freeman following the season. Hiestand previously coached Notre Dame to a Joe Moore Award in 2017 and produced several first-round picks from the Irish …

The post Another Home Run: Notre Dame Reportedly Set to Bring Back Harry Hiestand as OL Coach appeared first on UHND.com - Notre Dame Football, Basketball, & Recruiting.

View the full article

• Mike changed the title to Notre Dame Reportedly Set to Bring Back Harry Hiestand as OL Coach
8 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

That looked a little cold between Hiestand and Kelly. Hell Kelly, this guy and your offensive line are the best in the country. Be excited. That clip (and I know it might be cherry picking) substantiates the rumors that Hiestand and Kelly did not get long/see eye to eye. 

2 hours ago, Domers23 said:

That looked a little cold between Hiestand and Kelly. Hell Kelly, this guy and your offensive line are the best in the country. Be excited. That clip (and I know it might be cherry picking) substantiates the rumors that Hiestand and Kelly did not get long/see eye to eye. 

Because Hiestand was over rated.

I won't say I'm excited, nor am I bummed about HH return.  Lord knows I criticized bad performances by the OL during BK's entire run regardless of the OL coach.  However I also firmly believe that our troubles were directly tied to the scheme and the predictable nature of our play calling.

Its no secret that we lost just about every game we played with an equal or higher ranked foe under BK.  One could argue that more talented teams just out talented us with their defense.  However we lost some real clunkers against vastly inferior teams and got taken to the wire multiple times each year also against those same teams.  My argument has been that any team that does a little research with our tendencies and has a decent DC can stifle our offense.  This has been mentioned by multiple opponents of the BK era.

Now with BK gone, yet his protege still the OC, does this change?  HH is a good OL coach, but he gets zero input on our schemes and play calls game day.  We need to quit being so predictable on offense.  We have to be able to run the ball against tough opponents, we really struggle when we don't rush for at least 150 in a game.  When we don't adequately rush the ball we cannot control the clock and our defense suffers if the O is constantly giving up 3 and outs.

MF and the staff really need to prioritize a strong identity on offense.  As a DC and LB he knows the advantages of having a fresh D on the field, and he'll really need to grow and appreciate as a HC game/clock management.

• Heart 2

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online