ND assistant coach / staff tracker

OKelleyIrish

The good news just keeps on coming. Freeman is trying to assemble an outstanding coaching staff. The more experience he can get around him, the more he will learn and it should pay huge dividends in the future.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, zemaniak said:

Why is my memory failing me here… I remember swearing at our weak running game, especially north-south when if was with us. I don’t ever recall being able to lean on our OL and run game to close out games, convert 3rd downs or get a 1-2 yard push off the line consistently.  We were always getting yards off the jet sweep or option or QB scramble. Apologies if I’m mistaken

won’t deny he helped develop a bunch of our OL into NFL starters 

Power rushing is hard to get historical metrics on. But, you can see looking at '17 that we didn't have WR's grabbing any meaningful rushing yards, so jet sweeps weren't much of a factor (https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/teams/fbs/notre-dame/stats/2017). Wimbush did pile up rushing yards so the option was an element of the ground game but this team was able to rush the ball as evidenced by the crazy imbalance between passing yards and rushing yards. That year, if we were gonna win, it was gonna be on the ground. By and large, this was successful as evidenced by our 11-2 record (a 7-win swing from the prior year's 4-8 record). This included absolutely torching an NC State defense whose strength was its run defense (headlined by future top-5 pick, Bradley Chubb). 

Josh Adams 1,400 yard season had more than its fair share of up-the-gut runs churning out yardage. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, zemaniak said:

Why is my memory failing me here… I remember swearing at our weak running game, especially north-south when if was with us. I don’t ever recall being able to lean on our OL and run game to close out games, convert 3rd downs or get a 1-2 yard push off the line consistently.  We were always getting yards off the jet sweep or option or QB scramble. Apologies if I’m mistaken

won’t deny he helped develop a bunch of our OL into NFL starters 

I remember us being particularly weak as the season wore on, being really rough in November.  

I thought that was a S&C issue, not an OL coaching problem.  If so, Balis has fixed that issue.

Of course, my memory is not exact.

13 hours ago, Big23Head said:

It's a great blend for recruiting too. Harry is the old, seasoned guy that knows what needs to happen on the field. Watt brings the younger energy to recruit and his NFL experience as a player.

I can possibly see Watt positioned as OL coach in waiting

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I can possibly see Watt positioned as OL coach in waiting

I believe that is exactly why he would join the staff. He's an OL coach right now so why wouldn't he just look for a better coaching position unless he is being told that Heistand only has a couple years, come learn from a legend, and take over when he retires.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I believe that is exactly why he would join the staff. He's an OL coach right now so why wouldn't he just look for a better coaching position unless he is being told that Heistand only has a couple years, come learn from a legend, and take over when he retires.

ND can also possibly pay more for him as an Analyst than Watt is making as an OL coach. Do not know any salary numbers but, hypothetically, an extra $30K to $50K can make a big difference to a young person.

Edited by jbrown_9999

Couple names here…

Brian Hartline

Holman Wiggins

JaMarcus Shephard (Purdue wr coach)

Lance Taylor also in play for wr coach. (He coached wrs in the nfl for a few years)

Those top 3 would be absolute home runs

1 minute ago, mcgov12 said:

Couple names here…

Brian Hartline

Holman Wiggins

JaMarcus Shephard (Purdue wr coach)

Lance Taylor also in play for wr coach. (He coached wrs in the nfl for a few years)

Those top 3 would be absolute home runs

It will be Lance Taylor then everyone will be disappointed 

45 minutes ago, Jburkdd12 said:

I like Taylor as wr coach but not as a top line recruiter. I really haven’t seen him close on his number 1 target yet at RB. 

Taylor hasn't closed on his top target yet, but he also had a backup plan and landed Logan Diggs and Audric Estime after missing on Shipley and JD Price (Sawchuk, Singleton, etc.). So while he hasn't reeled in the big fish yet, he clearly identifies good talent as a back up and gets them. So he's at least recognizing the importance of Plan B, unlike Del. 

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

5 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Alabama WR coach Holman Wiggins a very very real candidate right now

Do we have Tim Prister on this? I saw this on Rivals I just don't think the guy who posted it is much smarter than my 7 year old german shepherd ridgeback mutt.. 

• Leprechaun 1

3 hours ago, JTennant said:

Do we have Tim Prister on this? I saw this on Rivals I just don't think the guy who posted it is much smarter than my 7 year old german shepherd ridgeback mutt.. 

what assertion was made on the rivals board? 

Notre Dame has ripped another coach off the Cincinnati Bearcat coaching tree, and it’s another outstanding hire. According to Pete Thamel, Notre Dame and Brian Mason have agreed to terms to be the next Special Teams Coordinator at Notre Dame. Irish Illustrated was first to report a deal was imminent earlier this week. SOURCE: Cincinnati special …

The post Notre Dame Reportedly Makes Home Run Hire with Brian Mason as STC appeared first on UHND.com - Notre Dame Football, Basketball, & Recruiting.

View the full article

Why is he a great hire? Sincere question as I do not know anything about this guy other than he coached at Cincinnati handling special teams and the sniper LB position. I hope he is awesome but as of now doesn't seem like someone that really moves the dial much. Please school me. lol

Edited by ndfanatic78

• Mike changed the title to Notre Dame Reportedly Set to Bring Back Harry Hiestand as OL Coach