Kelly to LSU

The Captain 19

18 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

Dude, this is great for us.  Cupboard is full.  We’ve proven we can win.  We are a hot coaching job.  I personally love Fickell and he recruits like a badass.  But, we really have our choice of great coaches.  Kelly will shit the bed at LSU.

This cupboard is made of composite material, not real wood. 
How will you keep Freeman for even one more year?  And his recruits. 
Will Rees leave?

Who else is out there who can keep this house together? 
Maybe ND can steal Vandy’s head coach…

11 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

Dude, this is great for us.  Cupboard is full.  We’ve proven we can win.  We are a hot coaching job.  I personally love Fickell and he recruits like a badass.  But, we really have our choice of great coaches.  Kelly will shit the bed at LSU.

Completely agree. Kelly did a good job here but took it as far as he could. We now can get someone to take us over the top. We may lose a few players or recruits in the short term but with the right hire we will take one small step back to take several giant ones forward. 

I’d be fine with Fickell, Ruhle, Campbell, even Freeman wouldn’t be horrible. But my clear cut choice would be Urban Meyer. I don’t care about his past. Dude is a college coach and will win a title at ND. 

my biggest concern is the admin and Swarbrick. Are they really wanting to take us to true NC contenders or do they want us to still be a faux Ivy League school that wins enough games to keep the money rolling in but not a football first program. Because if they don’t give the new coach and staff the ability to bring in the players we truly need to compete for a NC then we will be in the same boat. 

• Flames 2
  • Leprechaun 1

5 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

Dude, Kelly was literally Mark Richt.  Great seasons but couldn’t getbus to the top.  Our next hire will be Kirby Smart and get us to the next level.

We’ll be reading tomorrow that Smart signed an 8 year extension at Georgia for $120 million. 

Edited by AnTostal

1 minute ago, irishwavend said:

Dude, Kelly was literally Mark Richt.  Great seasons but couldn’t getbus to the top.  Our next hire will be Kirby Smart and get us to the next level.

Yeah, I’ve had this thought.  

Sorta like Steve Spurrier, yeah Steve won a national championship at Florida but he really should have had more but he laid the foundation for the program to go on to Urban Meyer a few years later and Urban made Florida the constant threat it should have always been.

Just now, Green Goblin said:

Yeah, I’ve had this thought.  

Sorta like Steve Spurrier, yeah Steve won a national championship at Florida but he really should have had more but he laid the foundation for the program to go on to Urban Meyer a few years later and Urban made Florida the constant threat it should have always been.

Maybe like Bo Shembeckler

If I was Jack, I wouldn't let Fickell sleep till he gives me a yes.  Just as enough time had passed for Cinci fans to stop totally hating us for "stealing" BK, we can give them a brand new reason.  I know Luke still has fondness for OSU, but I know he also gets a LOT of satisfaction out of competing w/them in all facets.  We would have the premiere forum (other than UM) for him to be a thorn in their sides (of course till they call him one day to replace Day if he bolts for the NFL)

Edited by NDNorm
  • Heart 3

Been following this site for 12+ years, post from time to time. 

Really think Fickell will bring Kelly type success. But i'd rather roll the dice on the players coach who can recruit better than most head coaches in the country. Freeman is the guy that gets us over the recruiting hump, Fickell keeps us where we're at in my humble opinion.(don't know a ton about Fickell tbh) 

Would rather risk it / give Freeman the keys have it backfire tbh than not roll the dice. 11 win seasons have spoiled us and they're fun, but we want a NC. Hire the guy who can get the talent in the door. Only guys I can think of that can do that and are options would be Freeman and Urban Meyer.

Thoughts?  

• Heart 2
  • Flames 2

If Swarbrick and the admin aren’t willing to open the checkbook for a top tier coach then we are done. You gotta pay to win. Look at what SC finally did to get Riley!  They gave him everything he wanted including the use of their private jet for whenever his family wants to travel and overpaying him for his two homes in Norman, along with getting him a $6m home in LA. ND has a history of going cheap and if that happens we will be in trouble. 

• Heart 2