Kelly to LSU

The Captain 19

9 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Those two words are often linked together. Regardless, you know what I mean. They’re people who deep down in their heart of hearts like ND losing bc they care about being able to bitch more than anything else.

That's why they don't want Meyer.  They won't have anything to complain about when we win a natty in 2023.

15 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Those two words are often linked together. Regardless, you know what I mean. They’re people who deep down in their heart of hearts like ND losing bc they care about being able to bitch more than anything else.

I suspect that is the largest minority of people. While I have frequently lamented that most ND fans have to have a streak of masochism in them, I believe that by and large we would all prefer winning. I think college football fans as a general rule tend to be more emotional than rational, which is why everyone is jumping at Freeman. He may be a good choice, there may be others out there that are better. Freeman is definitely unproven but I think everyone can get behind the idea of a guy like that rising up out of this mess and making ND great, it has a very ND ring about it.

For the time being, I think we are all trying to distract ourselves from the anxiety with flights of fancy. I am going to go with the Saban for HC dream myself.

• Trophy 1

46 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

They’re people who secretly like to be miserable. It’s emotional bondage.

That’s a masochist. Sadists take pleasure in other peoples pain. 

edit: Too many posts to read, but I see someone already pointed this out so I apologize for seeming like a dick here

Edited by Dardo

8 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I suspect that is the largest minority of people. While I have frequently lamented that most ND fans have to have a streak of masochism in them, I believe that by and large we would all prefer winning. I think college football fans as a general rule tend to be more emotional than rational, which is why everyone is jumping at Freeman. He may be a good choice, there may be others out there that are better. Freeman is definitely unproven but I think everyone can get behind the idea of a guy like that rising up out of this mess and making ND great, it has a very ND ring about it.

For the time being, I think we are all trying to distract ourselves from the anxiety with flights of fancy. I am going to go with the Saban for HC dream myself.

Well put, Eddie.  I wouldn't say I am a masochist.  I am fucking done coming up just short.  I've been an Irish fan since the early-mid 90s.  I don't remember if I was into college football yet in 93.  I think not because I have no memories of it.  I know I wasn't in 88 when ND last won.  I was barely into NFL and the little bit that I was was probably because of the excitement of my dad from the Giants just winning the Super Bowl in 87 and again in 91.  I've experienced winning with every team in which I am a fan except for the Irish.  I want my fucking championship.  I want Saban.  I am not too proud to thumb my nose at Meyer.  I would be fine if it is Freeman.  I just want a fucking National Championship.

I wouldn't say I was a Brian Kelly fan.  I definitely was not a Brian Kelly hater.  I am happy with where he was able to bring us.  I do hate that he could never get the boys up for a big game.  Oklahoma 2012 notwithstanding.  Sure, Clemson 2020 but meh, that game has an asterisk in my opinion.  I'm ok with him leaving, I am not ok with how he left.  I am nervous being in limbo, I'll be fine once the new coach is announced, whoever it may be.

I hate myself for saying this, but I would welcome UM with open arms. Sure, I'd have to shower after each game...and press conference....and ESPN article, but I would go through so many bottles of lotion looking at the recruiting rankings and the NC trophies he'd bring to ND.

• Trophy 1

Ok, I didn’t have bad wishes towards Kelly…. Until I read this.  Now, F-U

"I came down here because I wanted to be with the best," Kelly said. "The standard of expectation. You're looked at in terms of championships here and I want that. I want to be under the bright lights. ... That's part of the draw."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/8823519002

Edited by TexasDomer

16 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Ok, I didn’t have bad wishes towards Kelly…. Until I read this.  Now, F-U

"I came down here because I wanted to be with the best," Kelly said. "The standard of expectation. You're looked at in terms of championships here and I want that. I want to be under the bright lights. ... That's part of the draw."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/8823519002

That quote sounds very Kelly. It was pretty much the same speech ND heard when he came. He didn't say its my dream job. I think he meant that about ND.

3 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

He has to say that.  Could you imagine a coach who didn’t?  “Hey guys….  I’m here.  What do you think about winning. Does that sound good?  Ok…let’s go.”  We had that coach and he was horrible…Ty Willingham.

The whole speech was like he gave it the 5 times before in my opinion.

It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that Kelley may have concluded that he could never win a championship at ND due to the factors that we're all aware of, academic requirements at the top of the list. We've been wondering, hoping that, if Kelly hired better recruiters, he could get the recruits. Well he hired Freeman, and he sees his top commitments wavering to Ohio State and USC. Let's continue to hope Kelly is wrong but let's not fault him for wanting to compete for a championship on a level playing field with the Alabamas.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Trophy 1

19 minutes ago, John C said:

It seems to me that the elephant in the room is that Kelley may have concluded that he could never win a championship at ND due to the factors that we're all aware of, academic requirements at the top of the list. We've been wondering, hoping that, if Kelly hired better recruiters, he could get the recruits. Well he hired Freeman, and he sees his top commitments wavering to Ohio State and USC. Let's continue to hope Kelly is wrong but let's not fault him for wanting to compete for a championship on a level playing field with the Alabamas.

Welcome to DomerDomain!

I'm really not bitter about Kelly leaving and I was decidedly in the camp of people in no rush to see him go. But, damn, it feels like it says something that the only coach he really seems to be poaching from us is the guy that everyone wanted to see go. I mean, Elston staying seems to say. A. LOT.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Brian Kelly's meeting with his new team was a direct call-out of everything he couldn't get at ND.

The president - AD relationship and their commitment and unified vision to becoming elite. 

As much of an asshat he was, he may have a point. Wonder if ND wakes up to provide a better environment to produce national championship caliber teams consistently. 

It might be the kick in the ass Swarbrick needed. Swarbrick is competitive as hell and you know he HATES that BK walked out on him after what seemed like a good, long relationship. You're seeing the results of that, seemingly, in Swarbrick giving Freeman the ability to hold onto the assistant coaches. Also, Jack said in the press conference how he's always open to giving the coach what he needs to compete, which I think he'll be even more dedicated to. If I were Swarbrick, I'd make it my life's mission to win a football NC (he's won many NCs in other sports, mind you) and send Kelly a box of cigars and nice bottle of champagne when we do. 

• Leprechaun 1

9 minutes ago, Pregame said:

It might be the kick in the ass Swarbrick needed. Swarbrick is competitive as hell and you know he HATES that BK walked out on him after what seemed like a good, long relationship. You're seeing the results of that, seemingly, in Swarbrick giving Freeman the ability to hold onto the assistant coaches. Also, Jack said in the press conference how he's always open to giving the coach what he needs to compete, which I think he'll be even more dedicated to. If I were Swarbrick, I'd make it my life's mission to win a football NC (he's won many NCs in other sports, mind you) and send Kelly a box of cigars and nice bottle of champagne when we do. 

I was thinking and hoping the same thing after seeing Jack's demeanor in the presser and watching that snippet.

Hoping he runs through everything.. "Let's make sure the facilities are at or near the top of the competition, and look at things we can do to campus life and support staff for these athletes who, lets face it, most aren't qualifying to ND as a student without being good at football."

I like how he said they're constantly evaluating everything within the program to see what they can improve. It gave me a vote of confidence that Jack will push for the necessary changes to keep this program at or near the top. 

I tried to delete that post because it was echoing what many others said but I'm glad you responded because that's where I was kinda wanting to go with this as it pertains to a wake up call for Jack.

The smoking gun was Brian never asked to counter. He didn't care as much about the money as he wants to win championships. He wants to beat Saban. 

34 minutes ago, JTennant said:

I was thinking and hoping the same thing after seeing Jack's demeanor in the presser and watching that snippet.

Hoping he runs through everything.. "Let's make sure the facilities are at or near the top of the competition, and look at things we can do to campus life and support staff for these athletes who, lets face it, most aren't qualifying to ND as a student without being good at football."

I like how he said they're constantly evaluating everything within the program to see what they can improve. It gave me a vote of confidence that Jack will push for the necessary changes to keep this program at or near the top. 

I tried to delete that post because it was echoing what many others said but I'm glad you responded because that's where I was kinda wanting to go with this as it pertains to a wake up call for Jack.

The smoking gun was Brian never asked to counter. He didn't care as much about the money as he wants to win championships. He wants to beat Saban. 

I think Jack can take some unnecessary flack from ND supporters. The dude is a major, major player in College Athletics and he has done an incredible job with out other sports. But football is and always will be its own animal and I think Jack will see that very clearly-- lost the winningest coach who seemed to want to retire here-- and hopefully he'll be even more dogged in keeping ND Football competitive in every conceivable way. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Pregame said:

I think Jack can take some unnecessary flack from ND supporters. The dude is a major, major player in College Athletics and he has done an incredible job with out other sports. But football is and always will be its own animal and I think Jack will see that very clearly-- lost the winningest coach who seemed to want to retire here-- and hopefully he'll be even more dogged in keeping ND Football competitive in every conceivable way. 

In a way I feel for him. I know he's doing the best with what the brass has outlined for him. Would be so easier if the leadership said give us a list of what you need Jack and we'll grant it.

Doesn't seem to work like that even with all of the improvements to the program. Kelly really opened the door to a lot of things.