Kelly to LSU

The Captain 19

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

…said the ND administration before hiring Gerry Faust. 
…said the ND administration before hiring Bob Davie. 
…said the ND administration before hiring Charlie Weis. 

The ND administration seems to love taking risks on guys. 

ND's failures have little to do with their penchant for "taking risks" on guys.. It has everything to do with their ability to develop a program conducive to winning. Urban Meyer turned ND down because they weren't a turn key program ready to win. 

They hired CW as a backup plan because Urban went to Florida. They identified the best coaching candidate, but they couldn't close the deal because the entire program wasn't set up to win like the culture at Florida. Facilities, admissions, administration, staff, etc etc goes into winning. No one other than an up and comer was going to take this job. I kinda feed into your point a bit how they're more set up for a homerun hire now, but Marcus Freeman could be that guy..

6 hours ago, zemaniak said:

My point is : we didn’t show. We were flat. that Clemson team almost got beat by goddamn Syracuse and we got humiliated.

I didn’t invent the nickname “Big Game” BK

And that team blew out Bama worse than ND.

25 minutes ago, edcubby said:

I don’t want ND to relax academically. There is one class, a Biology class, I believe that each recruit must show they can pass in order to be accepted. That class is “basic” ND class. I get it. Recruit the RKGs. Go Irish!

The academic prestige is a big selling point to recruits.

I like the move by Kelly. I honestly think he brought ND about as far as he could. He made ND a stepping stone. That's exactly the message that needed to be sent to the administration. ND can be an elite academic school with a football team, or an elite football school with good education but not both. 

3 minutes ago, Gonkers said:

I like the move by Kelly. I honestly think he brought ND about as far as he could. He made ND a stepping stone. That's exactly the message that needed to be sent to the administration. ND can be an elite academic school with a football team, or an elite football school with good education but not both. 

I call bullshit. 

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Gonkers said:

Here's the phone ☎ 

Name one other university that's done it in the modern era. I'll wait.

The academic prestige is a giant recruiting tool. And frankly, it’s embarrassing that it’s such an impediment for so many recruits. All you have to do is have an IQ above 100 and put in effort. That’s all and you’ll meet the standards. 

5 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

The academic prestige is a giant recruiting tool. And frankly, it’s embarrassing that it’s such an impediment for so many recruits. All you have to do is have an IQ above 100 and put in effort. That’s all and you’ll meet the standards. 

Don't misunderstand me. I'm very sad to see Kelly go. He's the best thing to happen at ND since Holtz. But he has to do whatever is right for himself and his family. I'm just trying to make lemonade out of these lemons. I am content with double digit wins every year and a playoff berth every few years; I remember the 15 years before him vividly. 

The academic prestige is a giant recruiting tool

I agree, but clearly, it's not enough. what else can ND do to get the next heisman winner in the door?

And frankly, it’s embarrassing that it’s such an impediment for so many recruits.

Yep, I agree. But that is not the world we live in. You either adapt or die. 

Also, I'm still waiting for you to list just one university that has ever met your standards for academics and football success.

16 hours ago, coltssb said:

This is the truest thing you’ve ever said. Just add that they are paying him a lot more too and you are spot on. I’m kissed that he got the record. I think deep down that was on his list of accomplishments to do at ND before he left. Screw him and his ego and shirt man syndrome. He will never step foot in South Bend again. 

I am hoping that ND actually enforce the NCAA sanctions and no longer gives Kelly credit for his vacated wins.

It's also ironic that many people say that Kelly has elevated ND's program but 12 years later an "elevated" ND is still looking at the HC of Cincinnati as a top option for their head coach.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I am hoping that ND actually enforce the NCAA sanctions and no longer gives Kelly credit for his vacated wins.

It's also ironic that many people say that Kelly has elevated ND's program but 12 years later an "elevated" ND is still looking at the HC of Cincinnati as a top option for their head coach.

Uh. Sure? What is there to enforce? Like enforce limited practice time?

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Edit: Well, I suppose I could attempt to enforce myself to stop being attracted to attractive women. I suppose that's a valid use of the word?

blinking trailer park boys GIF

I'm glad ND has never stooped so low as to get a coach from Boston College or Northwestern. ND should only hire from prestigious schools like Stanford. I wouldn't want ND to be associated with the scrubs that come from the likes of Utah

I am entirely baffled by your comment. It makes absolutely no objective sense.

Edited by Gonkers
Clarification
  • Heart 2

Gonkers, not sure what is confusing about the sanctions:

The NCAA ordered the Irish to vacate 21 victories from the 2012 and 2013 seasons as part of sanctions related to academic misconduct

As a result, Brian Kelly's win totals at ND should not include those 21 games and so Rockne should still have the most career wins as an Irish coach.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

Gonkers, the second part of my comment was not dissing hiring coaches from smaller schools such as Ara and Leahy. I was merely poking fun that 12 years after hiring Kelly from Cincinnati, Fickle (also at Cincinnati) is one of the top candidates to become the new Irish coach.

In other words, you could theoretically argue that nothing really changed for ND relative to the status of its football program in 12 years if the best coach they could hire for 2010 and 2022 was, in both cases, the head coach of Cincinnati. 

6 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

In other words, you could theoretically argue that nothing really changed for ND relative to the status of its football program in 12 years if the best coach they could hire for 2010 and 2022 was, in both cases, the head coach of Cincinnati. 

That is still not true. 12 years ago, the head coach (Brian Kelly to be) had to rebuild the program. Now, he is looking for a coach to continue the success and be able to leap that last hurdle. Jack Swarbrick said this in the press conference. You could arguably say that the best coach available in both 2010 and 2021 are from Cincinnati. Fickell's name has been brought up by all of the major school openings because he is presumed to be the best available.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

That is still not true. 12 years ago, the head coach (Brian Kelly to be) had to rebuild the program. Now, he is looking for a coach to continue the success and be able to leap that last hurdle. Jack Swarbrick said this in the press conference. You could arguably say that the best coach available in both 2010 and 2021 are from Cincinnati. Fickell's name has been brought up by all of the major school openings because he is presumed to be the best available.

Would you take Fickell if you knew that meant losing Freeman today ? 

Pretty pickle for Savvy Jack…

47 minutes ago, zemaniak said:

Would you take Fickell if you knew that meant losing Freeman today ? 

Pretty pickle for Savvy Jack…

I am firmly on the Freeman train. If taking Fickell means losing Freeman, I do not necessarily want that. However, I believe Freeman would be gone regardless of what head coach JS brings in. I believe Freeman will only stay if he is the HC. So having said that, if not Freeman, then I want Fickell.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I am firmly on the Freeman train. If taking Fickell means losing Freeman, I do not necessarily want that. However, I believe Freeman would be gone regardless of what head coach JS brings in. I believe Freeman will only stay if he is the HC. So having said that, if not Freeman, then I want Fickell.

Why do you say that Freeman is gone? I could easily see Freeman sticking around another couple years at DC if he is given the proper contract. He absolutely loves Fickell and I think unless another HC job is offered that is actually good, he would love the opportunity to win a natty with Fickell and then get a major P5 HC job. I don't see any way he goes to LSU with Kelly. I could be totally wrong though.

8 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Why do you say that Freeman is gone? I could easily see Freeman sticking around another couple years at DC if he is given the proper contract. He absolutely loves Fickell and I think unless another HC job is offered that is actually good, he would love the opportunity to win a natty with Fickell and then get a major P5 HC job. I don't see any way he goes to LSU with Kelly. I could be totally wrong though.

I have no facts to back my opinion up, that is just the feeling I get from the situation and based on what some others think (reporters and such monitoring the situation). You could be right, but he also gave me that hypothetical as well. 🙂

I’m hearing that after Kelly broke Rockne’s record he went to Swarbrick and wanted a raise. Swarbrick went to the big donors and they refused. So, Kelly, believing he should be rewarded for his accomplishment, and believing the only thing holding him back from the ultimate prize of a blank check and unrestricted recruiting, bolted. 

The only way ND has a chance to win it all again is with a once in a generation recruiter. If I’m Swarbrick I hire Freeman and Fickell, or some other coach with head coaching experience. If Freeman balks I’d hire Freeman and roll the dice that he can develop into a head coach with the ability to keep bringing in Top 5 recruiting classes.

If I was a betting man, knowing ND won’t pay both Freeman and Fickell, my bet would be on Freeman. I listened to Zorich’s podcast and there was a lot of support for Freeman. The players will also want him. Swarbrick wil go against the tide if he brings in a head coach and loses Freeman.